• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Christmas preperation

Time for my gloat of the week.

Summer Christmas!

Yes you heard right *I* get Christmas in summer unlike you frigid northerners who populate most of the board. This means the temperature on Christmas day will most likely be reaching 30 degrees celsius and I'll go swimming and have barbeques whilst you all huddle round a meagre campfire in your yurts.

O.k. gloats over, now tell me what a winter Christmas is like. I've never had one. Or better still tell me your experiences of a white Christmas. Please? or I'll hunt you in your dreams...

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Hah, a white Christmas in the UK... HAH!

I don't even think they're taking money for it this year, they normally do but the weather is so wet this year for Xmas - I don't think they're bothering.

I do believe we have it the best way though. With us, we have Christmas as a reason to stick with Winter and not wish it to dieeeee.

However, by the time you get Winter, what do you have to look forward to? Months of bloody freezingness - 'ats all.

Just think, while you're all freezing your arses off, Nem and I will be sitting in our deckchairs in our gardens... getting soaked by UK summer rain...

Nemesis

Former Administrator
Scratch that, Only Ireland is wet. Here it is really cold, but dry.

The December average for the start of the month is 22mm of rain, currently we have had 1mm.

Dry Dave!

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Meangreen said:
Yes you heard right *I* get Christmas in summer unlike you frigid northerners who populate most of the board. This means the temperature on Christmas day will most likely be reaching 30 degrees celsius and I'll go swimming and have barbeques whilst you all huddle round a meagre campfire in your yurts.

Don't you mean igloos? ^^

Depending on where you go in Canada (BC vs Ontario) you may not see a lot of snow. BC tends to get mostly just rain, while Quebec/Ontario can get hit with storms pretty bad. As for Anne of Green Gables land (aka. Prince Edward Island), we don't tend to get our big storms until January, but we have had snow on Halloween before. Yesterday there was a thin layer on the ground but it basically all melted...

NEways, I'm not a good judge of temperature but overall it's relatively warmer around Christmas compared to the rest of winter (and I use the term "warm" loosely). Often we don't even have a "White Christmas". When we do, though, it's beautiful! I love how all the Christmas lights shine off the snow, and everything covered in white (not that icky dirty snow) makes the outdoors seem peaceful. The best is probably how the Evergreens catch the snow on their branches, tho, even more-so when it melts a bit and we get icicles :)

So again, the best part about having snow on the ground 'round Christmas is how the lights reflect off it. That and it fits the whole 'image' of Christmas. Whether we'll have one this year or not, though, is up in the air ;)

Now, if you don't mind, I have to go feed Fluffy before he tries to eat the dog again. Dang Polar bears...

Last edited by a moderator:

Yoshimitsu

Former Moderator
Nem, you lucky..... admin. We've been having loads of rain, so chances are we're having a soaked Christmas, like last year. It was freezing and wet. Ok, the wet part isn't that bad, I like the rain.

I liked the last white Christmas I had. We live near loads of hills, so it's a nice view, completely white, and really peaceful, like sitting on my roof and watching clouds. Plus, snowball fights are t3h fun.

Really? Here in NJ we've been getting nothing but rain--no snow or any sign of snow. :p

Besides, even if we DO get snow, it's almost always extremely dirty due to dog shit and other garbage. And I have a horrible view from all of my windows.

My snow days almost always suck. :p