• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Chopsticks and other eating utensils

I kinda recently discovered my dad can't use chopsticks x3 We don't usually eat at places that have them, so it as never really brought up. I learned to use chopsticks as a kid because I thought it'd be cool to eat with them. I used to practice by picking up M&Ms or peanuts xD

So can you use chopsticks? What about other eating utensils; what do you usually use when eating a meal? For instance, I use a fork and spoon, and I find it odd, or at least slightly bothersome when I have to eat rice with a knife and fork.

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
Of course I can use chopsticks. If I couldn't, it would be a disgrace to my family culture. I'm so skilled with them I can use them to cut my meat when I lack knives, and pick up silly round ice cubes when I'm bored at restaurants.

But I totally agree; eating rice with a knife and fork doesn't always work out for me. I mean, I can do it, but I would prefer eating the stuff with my lovely chopsticks.

I actually find chopsticks easier than a knife and fork only time I actually use a knife and fork is for tough pieces of meat. Said that I actually eat everything with a spoon it multi purpose does a fork/chopsticks job of picking food up the sides can be just as good as a knife and it can be used to eat stuff like jelly and soup :3

I am absolutely terrible with chopsticks, and I usually eat everything with fork and knife- Including rice. I never use a spoon for rice.

I also have this odd quirk where I just can't eat a desert with a tablespoon like most people tend to do- I have to use a teaspoon or else it just feels weird.

Demelza

Eevee Tamer
Staff member
I'm actually not bad with chopsticks despite the fact I don't tend to use them that often. xD

For every other meals though I tend to just use a knife and fork, even for rice. The only time I every really use a spoon is for soup or ice cream. ^^

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I've visited China twice and eaten at various restaurants around the Toronto area that offer chopsticks by default, but I still incredibly suck at using the things. They're perfect for eating sushi, but that's as far as I want to go with 'em. :p

Gimme a fork, knife, and spoon and I'm happy. And for the record, I don't tend to eat rice with a spoon unless one is offered instead of a fork.

I usually eat with a knife and fork, but I can eat pretty well with chopsticks. I prefer to eat rice with a fork, though.

the-power-of-the-fork.jpg

I'm okay with using chopsticks but I'm not a master; I mostly use them for sushi and such. But I've also found that they're extremely useful for eating chips at the computer and not getting oily hands.

baratron

Moderator of Elder Scrolls
Staff member
I certainly can use chopsticks. Unless I'm very tired, in which case I lack the appropriate coordination.

As for what I usually use to eat, it depends on what I'm eating. Fork only, or fork and spoon, or chopsticks and spoon are all pretty normal. I tend to use knives only to put spread on toast, or if it's the sort of pizza that you have to eat with a knife and fork rather than picking up slices in your hands.

I suppose it's worth mentioning that, even though I am right-handed, I eat with my fork on my right hand and a knife in my left hand, which is apparently very unusual.

I can use chopsticks fairly well. I learned to use them on a whim after watching an early episode of Naruto. I now use chopsticks mostly when having sushi, rice(of all kinds), ramen/udon/many other asian food noodles, stir fry... you get the picture.

I use the general knife, fork, and spoon myself~ I'm a weird person though: instead of just having the fork in my left hand and using the knife with my right hand, I sometimes cut with the knife first and then switch and put the fork in my right hand. I'm just that right handed that it doesn't even feel comfortable using the fork in my left hand.

At one time I could use chopsticks correctly. But now I only use it to pick up sushi because that doesn't involve fine motor control.

I'm pretty competent with any utensils. Fork in left, knife/there is no spoon in the right. Chopsticks as well.

Do hands count as utensils? :o

Chopsticks? Oh Arceus, no... I can't use chopsticks to save my life. (Just watch. I'll end up in a life or death situation requiring use of the bloody things. ;_; )

I just rely on my fork, knife, and spoon. Or "spork" if I have to.

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
I have moderate chopstick skills. I can eat with 'em, but I'm not at the 'I can pick up single grains of rice' standard.

Fork, knife and spoon all the way, although if I can get away with it, hands are good too. Like chips. Chips were made for hands, not forks :V

I don't have a fork hand or a knife hand either, either utensil is fair game for either hand :)

I've used chopsticks all my life, it doesn't bother me if I'm using chopsticks or a fork, I don't really eat any food that requires a knife and if I do need to cut anything I use the side of my fork. It means I can still do anything I like with my other hand =D