• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Checking IVs in B/W and Best Places to EV Train?

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Two parts to this question, but the subject kinda says all.

How are you guys going about checking IVs this generation? Using the daycare? Rare candy? Or some other means...?

Second, if anyone has started EV training in B/W yet, what are you finding to be the best locations to train for each stat?

As of now, I've been checking my Pokemon's stats via the Battle Subway (going in, checking the stats at level 50, and hitting run), but it's a rather annoying since you need to save before you connect and after you leave, and species clause forces you to only use one Pokemon from any given species at a time. I'd use the daycare instead, but I'm dealing with eggmoves in some cases and it just seems even more tedious than what I'm currently doing...

As for choice EV locations, I haven't looked into it enough to have any ideas. I am planning to start EV training on White soon, tho, so ideas for that are definitely appreciated. :)

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
For IV checking, I've found the best way is to battle yourself over IR on the C-Gear. As I now have my DS and 3DS, battling myself is easy, and you can check six at a time. Only checking one at a time would drive me mad. Obviously this method won't be any good for many people though.

It annoys me having to check that at level 50. I like to know for certain what my IVs are, and while I realise the variables are only minimal, it irks me. The man in the Battle Subway at least lets you know if you have any perfect IVs. He's been very useful thus far ♥

As for EVs, I haven't really looked into it yet. I'm currently focusing on breeding my team first. So like you, I'll be interested to see what others say on the subject :D

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Silver Magpie said:
For IV checking, I've found the best way is to battle yourself over IR on the C-Gear. As I now have my DS and 3DS, battling myself is easy, and you can check six at a time. Only checking one at a time would drive me mad. Obviously this method won't be any good for many people though.

It annoys me having to check that at level 50. I like to know for certain what my IVs are, and while I realise the variables are only minimal, it irks me. The man in the Battle Subway at least lets you know if you have any perfect IVs. He's been very useful thus far ♥

=O

So, you can check six Pokemon of the same species at the same time, and they're auto-leveled to level 50...? If so... :'D

EV Training:

HP - Liberty Island - Victini (+3) (Victini respawns every time you defeat it) If you already caught it then Icirrus City has Stunfisk and Palpitoad which give (+2) There's also Ducklett (+1) on Driftveil Drawbridge.
Attack - Route 1 - Lillipup and Patrat (+1)
Defence - Victory Road - Durant (+2)
Sp. Attack - Celestial Tower - Litwick and Elgyem (+1)
Sp. Defence - Route 17 - Frillish (+1)
Speed - Route 1 - Basculin (+2)

Hope this helps :)

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Toastie said:

I started Speed EV training today and did exactly this. It's wonderful. Speed EV training has never been easier thanks to locations that have nothing but Basculin, and the fact that it gives +2. :'D

Thanks for the rest of the ideas, Toastie. ^^

Linkachu said:
Toastie said:

I started Speed EV training today and did exactly this. It's wonderful. Speed EV training has never been easier thanks to locations that have nothing but Basculin, and the fact that it gives +2. :'D

No problem :) I agree, the Basculin helped tremendously (as did Litwick, for that matter) with EV training. It's good to know there's only one type of Pokemon lurking around.

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
Seems like there are some good spots in Black and White then, which is good to know. I totally have a new love for Basculin now ♥

Yoshimitsu

Former Moderator
Linkachu said:
Toastie said:

It totally has, underground in Mount Sinnoh has a lake where all you find is Zubat and Golbat.

Toastie said:
EV Training:
Attack - Route 1 - Lillipup and Patrat (+1)

Also on Route 1, if you surf off the side and head over to the dark grass, you can get the following, including double-battles (to make it a little faster, too!) and since they're all above level 30 over there, half-decent XP grinding.

Scraggy - 1 EV
Watchog - 2 EV!
Herdier - 2 EV!

Getting a double-battle with a mix of any two Watchogs and Herdier means a lovely amount of attack EV's for your trainee.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Yoshimitsu said:
Linkachu said:
Toastie said:

It totally has, underground in Mount Sinnoh has a lake where all you find is Zubat and Golbat.

Considering that Basculin is ALL that appears, and it gives +2 Speed EVs instead of +1 like Zubat, it's still quicker overall. So, no, it wasn't better in Gen IV. B/W's upped encounter rate actually aids EV training, too. Less time spent on looking for your next battle. :)