• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Characteristics

baratron

Moderator of Elder Scrolls
Staff member
Can someone explain Characteristics to me? I've found a table on Psypoke's which says it's something to do with IVs, and Serebii has one too, but I can't make much sense out of them. Supposedly, they give the IVs of your Pokemon in the order HP, Attack, Defense, Special Attack, Special Defense, Speed, but if that's the case, both the tables are arranged really oddly, because they both give the impression that HP is the lowest IV and Speed is the highest.

Do any sites have a table with the IVs arranged in the right order, so you can just read them off?

You are misreading the list.

Characteristics tell you what your highest IV is.

Lets look at two examples.

Queen - Lvl 45 Blissey
Nature Bold
Characteristic - Likes to relax

Looking at the list, Likes to relax is listed as HP 4, 9, 14, 19, 24, and 29.
This means two things.
A. Chanseys highest IV is HP. The other five (Atk, Def, SAtk, SDef, Spd) are lower or equal, but not higher.
B. Chanseys HP IV will be one of the numbers listed: 4, 9, 14, 19, 24, or 29

Rook - Lvl 63 Heracross
Nature Lax
Characteristic - Somewhat vain.

Looking at the list, Somewhat vain is listed as SDef 1, 6, 11, 16, 21, 26, and 31.
This means two things.
A. Heracross highest IV is SDef. The other five (HP, Atk, Def, SAtk, Spd) are lower or equal, but not higher.
B. Heracross SDef IV will be one of the numbers listed: 1, 6, 11, 16, 21, 26, or 31

baratron

Moderator of Elder Scrolls
Staff member
Huh. I thought it was actually going to be useful, but that isn't, particularly - you still have to do all the faffing about with an IV/DV calculator :-\. The only difference is that you can be certain what your highest IV is. *disappointed now*. Thanks for the explanation, anyway.

I guess I'll just continue catching multiple of the same Pokemon at the same level and going with the one that seems to have the highest stats. Don't have enough patience or Rare Candies for the other stuff, and it's only ever mattered when I was trying to make the ultimate Level 50 team for Colosseum. I'd like to try competitive battling over Wifi, but meh.

Looking at the list, Somewhat vain is listed as SDef 1, 6, 11, 16, 21, 26, and 31.
This means two things.
A. Heracross highest IV is SDef. The other five (HP, Atk, Def, SAtk, Spd) are lower or equal, but not higher.
B. Heracross SDef IV will be one of the numbers listed: 1, 6, 11, 16, 21, 26, or 31

I must say, if my Heracross's highest IV was Sp.Def, and the Sp.Def IV was 1... I'd be looking for another Heracross :p.