• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Cartoon Network announces Hikari and Shinji's US names.

Well, at least that's what read on Joe Serebii's site this afternoon. Apparently, Hikari is going to be dubbed as Dawn and Shinji will be Paul.

I'm not sure if I trust this info considering what happened before. CN's website said that Saori was going to be dubbed as "Samantha", but when "May, We Harley Drew Ya" aired, her actual dub name was *muttering* Solidad.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
But Paul is such a menacing name! XP

Dawn I'd have no problems with. I've always liked that name, although hearing it nowadays immediately makes me think of Buffy's little sister...

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Paul. I just have this horrible mental image I can't get out of my head now of Shinji with this horrendous exaggerated mock-british accent...

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
I dunno, in a world where NO-ONE has a normal name, Paul actually stands out quite a bit to me. :p

It could be better, but to be honest, short of calling him Silver, I can't really imagine a single name to apply to Shinji anyway.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I dunno, in a world where NO-ONE has a normal name, Paul actually stands out quite a bit to me. :p

Max was a normal name :p

But, yeah. I agree with that second statement. Going by their track record, it'd be naive to expect it to stay as Shinji, so any replacement name has about the same worth. Paul is alright. It could've been worse... like, Hank or something x)

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I'm sure most people have noticed by now that the renaming of "Samantha" won't be repeated this time with Dawn. That name was repeated (therefore confirmed) in the small article Pokemon.com recently posted about the new series. We can probably take from that that Paul is indeed Paul, too. So, yeah, no need to worry further over that.

That is all.

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Besides, a new episode was revealed to be called 'Dawn of a New Age', and that's an obvious pun on her name. :p

TOO MANY PUN OPPORTUNITIES TO MISS HERE. xD

For some reason, the name Dawn immediately made me think of Prairie Dawn of "Sesame Street":p. Not sure why though...

I can live with the name Paul because that was the name of a delinquent I used to know.

I'm surprised nobody's quoted this yet, but...

Don't forget, of course, that a certain other rival of Ash's has a pretty common name too...

Gary. Ah, yes, Gary. The man who used to ride in a brand new car and have cheerleaders following him everywhere is now a scientist. Poor, poor man.

lol

Actually, it'd be kinda neat to be a PokeProfessor. Get to travel places, find new species (ELECTIVIRE!!!), meet new people... Fun.

ANYWAYS...

On-Topic: What does Hikari mean in Japanese? The only Hikari-like things I know of are Dawm (Pokemon) and the Japanese Kingdom Hearts theme (English Version: Simple & Clean).

I remember not that long ago Hikari's dub name was suppose to be Emilline, did anyone else hear something like that? Dawn is her OFFICAL name, I like Emilline better though XP. But seriously did anyone else hear that?

I don't mind the name Paul, seeing as how that's the name of my eldest brother (who is exceedingly cool and a wonderful artist/Pokemon fan, may he rest within the archives of awesomeness forever...)

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I remember not that long ago Hikari's dub name was suppose to be Emilline, did anyone else hear something like that? Dawn is her OFFICAL name, I like Emilline better though XP. But seriously did anyone else hear that?

I remember hearing a few names, but as far as I could tell they were all rumors. Maybe they were learning towards a different name before Dawn - it wouldn't be a first. As I said above though, I personally love the name Dawn, and it does make a lot of sense when you look at the meaning of Hikari. More than Emilline would for sure :)