• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Captain N: The Code Warrior (Discussion/Sign-Ups)

I mean there's not much point for you to research Captain N. Kevin Keene (the Captain N from the show) is completely different from whoever Captain N will be in this RP. Captain N's just a title of an ascended player avatar recruited to help in the fight against Ganondorf and the other villains. The original Captain N show is serving as a loose inspiration for the RP, so not much you find will be accurate to this RP. Literally everything that we have on Captain N right now for this RP is that he's a guy, he's an ascended avatar recruited to the side of the heroes, Captain N is a title and Captain N uses an NES Zapper. That's it. Everything else is up to the creator of Captain N.

Okay, I know of the real NES Zapper. What's it do in game realm?

And that's a bit vague, is he an oc from a preexisting universe? Or is he completely unique? And if so, what's to stop him from just becoming all powerful?

The NES Zapper, in this universe, is a laser gun. Think of it as Han Solo's pistol but it's an NES Zapper.
Captain N is literally just a title. Who BECOMES Captain N is the choice of whoever wants to make an OC to become Captain N. There's only one Captain N and his powers grow over time, but he's stopped from becoming all-powerful by the one who stops everyone from becoming all-powerful - the Master Hand, the avatar of Masahiro Sakurai himself and the admin of NinTheGame. However, Master Hand can't notice the villains for some reason...

What Did You Do To Snoke?

Previously Ratbag the Coward
The NES Zapper, in this universe, is a laser gun. Think of it as Han Solo's pistol but it's an NES Zapper.
Captain N is literally just a title. Who BECOMES Captain N is the choice of whoever wants to make an OC to become Captain N. There's only one Captain N and his powers grow over time, but he's stopped from becoming all-powerful by the one who stops everyone from becoming all-powerful - the Master Hand, the avatar of Masahiro Sakurai himself and the admin of NinTheGame. However, Master Hand can't notice the villains for some reason...
And who is Crazy Hand? Is Taboo the representative for the Empire of Adults?

Crazy Hand and Tabuu have yet to appear. Not all characters are given life like our main heroes! As a matter of fact, not a single Mario character has been brought into NinTheGame yet...

Captqin N is such a goofy cartoon. And so, so very inaccurate. This is Alucard fron Castlevania in the show. And that's only the tip of the iceberg. Southern accent Mother Brain, Pit being called Kid Icarus and saying Icus at the end of every sentence, Mega Man being super short and this list goes on No offense to Eevee, but it's some weird inspiration.

Anyways, while I appreciate the call, I have a few things on my plate right now. If things clear up soon maybe. But I don't like taking too much a once.

Hah that's why it's not similar to the cartoon at all just read the first post

Honestly it's because I think Captain N had some good potential with its cast of characters, but they needed a better setting and more faith to the source material to make it work. That's what I'm doing here. I'm also trying to focus on the less-popular Nintendo and a few third-party series to let them shine just like Captain N: The Game Master TRIED to do.

I understand that, but I wanted to point it out since some people haven't heard of it. Captain N is so inaccurate it's hilarious.

Also I had an idea for the minions of the villains, it's silly but it would work. Thousands and hundreds of blood thirsty well trained soldiers who will do anything to "win". A game so monumentally popular that the villains could exploit them with the way of a reward for taking down the heroes. I'm sure you know what game I'm talking about. The big one right now.

But uh, I'm not joining anytime soon, so feel free to ignore that :p

You mean capitalism? Or do you mean something else?

By the way, after thinking moreso about it, I've decided to revamp the villain lineup to make it more appropriate to our heroes. The new group of villains are Dr. Wily, Dark Samus, Ridley, Black Shadow, Hades and Count Vlad "Dracula" Tepes. I'm likely to be taking Dracula, who will be the leader of the villains, as my character. In fact, I think I'll make his sheet now! If anyone else wants a villain, there's only a limit of one main character per RPer, so pick and choose your villains as you wish!

OH. I thought the vague thing you were talking about was the reward. So basically, the minions would be Fortnite players? That could be fun. But the more reliable minions will be the enemies from the games themselves that can be programmed with basic enemy AI to serve the villains.

Ladies and gentlemen, the big bad of the RP! Give it up for Count Dracula!
Name: Vladimir Sokolov
Appearance: Vladimir looks Russian, due to his parents being Russian, but his style is much more American. He likes to wear a long coat and bowler hat wherever he goes, looking fairly classic. He wears a suit underneath the overcoat for fancy occasions, and a simple shirt and pants for when it's less fancy. He's slim, but tall. He's incredibly imposing.
Personality: Vladimir is a no-BS, all-business type of guy. He likes to straight to the action with things, preferring never to dance around a subject but to touch on it at first lightly and then heavily. At his core, he's a strategist and opportunist.
Backstory: Vladimir knows what could be done with the technology of NinTheGame. As a programmer and businessman, you can bet he's going to try to capitalize on the coding of the characters themselves. In order to do that, though, Vladimir needs to gain access to the code of the world itself. To that end, he's allied himself with Dracula.
Extra: Sokolov is a Russian last name derived from Sokol, which means Falcon in the Slavic languages.
Character Name: Count Vlad "Dracula" Tepes
Character Source Game: Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, though he's from Castlevania.

Whoops! Before I forget, I'd also like to mention we'll be having R.O.B. as a character as well - specifically an advanced AI that serves as an aide and assistant to the heroes, but lacks major combat potential. He's gonna be the little buddy helping our heroes out, basically our R2-D2 or BB-8.

I understand that, but I wanted to point it out since some people haven't heard of it. Captain N is so inaccurate it's hilarious.
Here's the thing, hopefully it won't be like the show. It would be much better. Super Mario World is extremely similar in terms of the goofyness.
By the way, after thinking moreso about it, I've decided to revamp the villain lineup to make it more appropriate to our heroes. The new group of villains are Dr. Wily, Dark Samus, Ridley, Black Shadow, Hades and Count Vlad "Dracula" Tepes. I'm likely to be taking Dracula, who will be the leader of the villains, as my character. In fact, I think I'll make his sheet now! If anyone else wants a villain, there's only a limit of one main character per RPer, so pick and choose your villains as you wish!
Please may I take Hades?
Ladies and gentlemen, the big bad of the RP! Give it up for Count Dracula!
Name: Vladimir Sokolov
Appearance: Vladimir looks Russian, due to his parents being Russian, but his style is much more American. He likes to wear a long coat and bowler hat wherever he goes, looking fairly classic. He wears a suit underneath the overcoat for fancy occasions, and a simple shirt and pants for when it's less fancy. He's slim, but tall. He's incredibly imposing.
Personality: Vladimir is a no-BS, all-business type of guy. He likes to straight to the action with things, preferring never to dance around a subject but to touch on it at first lightly and then heavily. At his core, he's a strategist and opportunist.
Backstory: Vladimir knows what could be done with the technology of NinTheGame. As a programmer and businessman, you can bet he's going to try to capitalize on the coding of the characters themselves. In order to do that, though, Vladimir needs to gain access to the code of the world itself. To that end, he's allied himself with Dracula.
Extra: Sokolov is a Russian last name derived from Sokol, which means Falcon in the Slavic languages.
Character Name: Count Vlad "Dracula" Tepes
Character Source Game: Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, though he's from Castlevania.
Is he Russian in the games? That's interesting because the original Dracula in the books was thought to have been enfused with Vlad Tepes who was from an area called Wallachia in Romania in the original myth.

I have an idea for the lore. Maybe, in the virtual worlds, many of the bigger Nintendo franchises we dont see like Mario and Pokemon have either A)had their world taken over by the villains and destroyed B)The Mario franchise ended and went out of business

1) Make a character sheet and he's yours.
2) Dracula does come from Wallachia. The real-life person is different from the character. I only made Vladimir Russian because Vlad sounds like an incomplete form of Vladimir and Vladimir's a Russian name.
3) Like I said earlier, I've already got a plan for why there's no Mario characters. Pokemon is a possibility, though, since I was planning for Professor Oak (Let's Go! Pikachu/Eevee version) to help out with the team, but I'd rather we not have main characters taking inspiration from Pokemon. Trying to go with the smaller series. And it's 2019, do you really think Mario's gonna end that quickly after being on top of the world for 30+ years?

2) Dracula does come from Wallachia. The real-life person is different from the character. I only made Vladimir Russian because Vlad sounds like an incomplete form of Vladimir and Vladimir's a Russian name.
But Vlad Tepes WAS from Wallachia, so Vlad is therefore also a Romanian/Eastern European name, that was my point.
3) Like I said earlier, I've already got a plan for why there's no Mario characters. Pokemon is a possibility, though, since I was planning for Professor Oak (Let's Go! Pikachu/Eevee version) to help out with the team, but I'd rather we not have main characters taking inspiration from Pokemon. Trying to go with the smaller series. And it's 2019, do you really think Mario's gonna end that quickly after being on top of the world for 30+ years?
My point was that there could have been some kind of extinction level event in the virtual world which caused them to dissapear.

Honestly I was considering either Captain N, or Ridley, but I guess I’ll take Samus if you want me to.
(You’re also lucky that I’ve been thinking of playing through the first two instalments of the Metroid Prime series.)

Mystic Zander is making a sheet for Captain N soon, but you could have Ridley as well as Samus! And yes please play the Prime games so you’re experienced with Dark Samus
Just make sheets for Samus and Ridley and you’re good to go!

Name: Zander Grey
Appearance: Shaggy chestnut brown hair that's pushed to the left, his bangs just reaching one of his emerald green eyes, his skin is fair to lightly sun-kissed, showing signs of plenty sun exposure. He has a pair of goggles on his forehead that were initially glasses but needed to be reinforced, there on unless he's relaxing or not doing anything in particular. He's got a black collared jacket with a white T-shirt underneath, faded dark blue boot-cut jeans, and matte black boots. There appears to be a dark brown, leather gun holster strapped to his left thigh containing the long, nimble, pale grey NES Zapper.
Personality: Zander's got a habit of getting himself into trouble, what with his cynical attitude and loose lipped persona. This is only added onto by his lack of worry, the boys wise cracking sense of humor not even changing in the face of potential death. Luckily, he's got the smarts and and skill to get himself out of most sticky situations.
Backstory: Unfortunately for his sake, Zander isn't quite as significant as his title may lead you to believe, in fact, other than receiving a free late copy of the game and the events that occurred after, he's lived a rather meaningless existence, living most of his life with no moral compass, attending school just enough to keep from failing and not really having much of a life outside of home that didn't involve running from people he'd pissed off. Now that's he got a chance to make something of himself, he plans to dive in all the way, hoping to prove his worth in this virtual world.
Extra: Its unknown why, but Zander spawned into the world with an NES Zapper and an item listed as a 'star shard'.
Character Name: Captain N
Character Source Game: N/A

Okay, but I’m not taking Ridley. Usually taking more than one gcharacter turns out to be disastrous for me. But do you think this is good?
Name: Isabelle Woodwell
Appearance: She’s about 6'3 in height, her eyes are blue, and she has short blonde hair. Often she’s seen wearing a Metroid Prime T-Shirt with a black hoodie over it, gray sweatpants, boots, and green socks.
Personality: Prefers to not stick with a group of people and enjoys being independent, but if she knows she can trust a group of people, she’ll stick with them. She tries her best to stay out of trouble, but will protect her friends from evil, sometimes even if it means getting hurt in the process.
Backstory: Isabelle has lived a very simple life. She’s attended school and in the past tried to keep her grades up, and when she wasn’t in school, she played mostly video games. She eventually graduated and got out of that hellscape. For the last three years of her life though, she really hasn’t known what she’s going to make of her life and was working a job at a gas station so she had enough money to afford things, at least until she bought the VR game this whole RP revolves around. She’s finally realized she could be something more than just a gas station clerk in this pointless existence, and plans to continually play the game until the servers are empty or closed.
Extra: She is an avid fan of the Metroid series, and she grew up playing the games (at least as many as she owns,) but you probably already guessed that. She also plays Splatoon and Animal Crossing, but likes them significantly less.
Character Name: Samus Aran
Character Source Game: Super Smash Bros Ultimate, and Metroid Prime 4

Last edited:
I was thinking the 'girl' in Jay's backstory ends up becoming Jody Summer (or another female F-Zero character, though there aren't many) eventually in the alternate world and becomes the love interest for Falcon. She could even be Samus Aran, if you wanted, i mean it has been hinted at before and she does fit the whole bounty hunter thing. Maybe Falcon doesnt realise she has become someone else and she goes with other characters.

Samus Aran would be cool, since I wanted Falcon to try courting Samus anyways. But that's up to whoever might want to take Samus.
Also, I think I’m interested.

I had an interesting idea and I'm willing to join but I am confused about something.

You mentioned that the characters are AI. But how? I assumed that it was simply a player assuming the form of a character, still retaining their personality and expressing it through their character. But it's people playing as the sentient characters? In such a case, why does gender and appearance matter? You implicate that they make conscious decisions of who to side with. So why would they choose people who resemble them and not just care about their moral compass in such a case? Why wouldn't they simply use themselves rather than unpredictable gamers?

also nintendo makes a vr console and still doesn't have virtual console, this is too accurate

The gamers are needed as a sort of conduit. The primitive AI of 2019 can only do so much, and needs access to the processing power of the most complex out there - a human brain - to flow and live. To this end, similar traits to the characters - such as Ryan having the same hair, same eyes and close height - makes the transition much easier for the characters, allowing them to work much more fluidly. But the humans share senses with the characters, so they're able to see and hear everything the characters can.
Also, I like Samus' sheet! Welcome to the RP! The only thing is aside from Smash, you could also list the source game as Metroid Prime 4.
Now all we're waiting for to start is Pit...

Maybe they were neighbors. Or they saw each other at the park or something and Isabelle realized “oh hey, it’s that formula one racing guy”. I really don’t know how we can get this to work.

One part of the backstory I wished I could have added in but probably wouldn’t have made much sense was that on her time off, she’d been learning to code and working on an RPG.

Name: Ken Peter
Appearance: wears a red shirt, grey pants and black shoes, wears a black cap
Personality: A bit Lazy, kindhearted a loyal
Backstory: TBD
Extra: N/A
Character Name: Pit
Character Source Game: Smash Ultimate

Very brief Form I know but I wanted to get this out as soon as I could