• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

XY/ORAS Singles Can someone please rate my OU singles team?

Green Dragon

Formerly supertrainer300
The team:

Venusaur@Air Balloon
Ability: Chlorophyll
Nature: Modest
EVs: 252 Spe / 252 SpA / 4 HP
-Sunny Day
-Solar Beam
-Sludge Bomb
-HP Rock

Quagsire@Jaboca Berry
Ability: Unaware
Nature: Bold
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
-Recover
-Scald
-Toxic
-Stockpile

Rotom-H@Choice Specs
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 HP / 252 SpD
-Volt Switch
-Overheat
-HP Ice
-Pain Split

Pinsir@Pinsirite
Ability: Moxie
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
-Close Combat
-Quick Attack
-X-Scissor
-Swords Dance

Ninjask@Focus Sash
Ability: Speed Boost
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Spe / 4 Atk
-X-Scissor
-Agility
-Swords Dance
-Baton Pass

Togekiss@Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
Nature: Calm
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 SpA
-Air Slash
-Protect
-Soft-Boiled
-Thunder Wave

I know I have a weakness to Rock, but I don't know how to counter it. Other help is also much appreciated! Thanks!

Well to get rid of that rock weakness you will need to change up your pokemon to be honest. That is a lot of flying and bug types.

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
Your problem with your weakness to rock is having three flying types on your team, two of which are bug/flying. I'd suggest switching out one and putting in something that can counter rock. Fighting type maybe?

Also, is this a team in your games or on showdown? And are you able to breed for egg moves and stuff?

Green Dragon

Formerly supertrainer300
Your problem with your weakness to rock is having three flying types on your team, two of which are bug/flying. I'd suggest switching out one and putting in something that can counter rock. Fighting type maybe?

Also, is this a team in your games or on showdown? And are you able to breed for egg moves and stuff?

Hm...

I haven't been using the Ninjask so maybe I put in a special Lucario:

Lucario@Life Orb
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 Def
-Aura Sphere
-Flash Cannon
-Calm Mind
-Dragon Pulse

He sets up with Calm Mind, then needless to say, wrecks.

Also, yes, I am using Showdown.

Physical Lucario would serve you better, you have no physical damage appart from pinsir which is not the most reliable.

Also the togekiss could use a bit more variety in the moves, ground types just kind of laugh and set up on it as it is.

Last edited:

Green Dragon

Formerly supertrainer300
Physical Lucario would serve you better, you have no physical damage appart from pinsir which is not the most reliable.

Also the togekiss could use a bit more variety in the moves, ground types just kid of laugh and set up on it as it is.

K, Physical:
Lucario@Life Orb
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 Def
-Close Combat
-Metal Claw
-Swords Dance
-Mach Punch

How about that?

And for Togekiss, I see no problem. You seem to have your immunities backwards.

Metal claw is better off being something like earthquake or perhaps icepunch since it is pretty low damage and you should have plenty of attack power after one SD. Extreme Speed is a possibility over mach punch for more power.

For Togekiss I meant that the thunder wave wont hit the ground type and if they are either rock or steel they are tickled by an unpowered airslash. Paraflinch is fine, its just best to have another coverage move to work with in place of protect, something like Aura Sphere helps. Or if you want to stick to the hard support then something like heal bell, defog (since your weak to rock this might help for SR) might work better as well.

Speaking of SR, if this is for OU on showdown: hazards may need to be considered

Green Dragon

Formerly supertrainer300
Metal claw is better off being something like earthquake or perhaps icepunch since it is pretty low damage and you should have plenty of attack power after one SD. Extreme Speed is a possibility over mach punch for more power.

For Togekiss I meant that the thunder wave wont hit the ground type and if they are either rock or steel they are tickled by an unpowered airslash. Paraflinch is fine, its just best to have another coverage move to work with in place of protect, something like Aura Sphere helps. Or if you want to stick to the hard support then something like heal bell, defog (since your weak to rock this might help for SR) might work better as well.

Speaking of SR, if this is for OU on showdown: hazards may need to be considered

Alright.

For Lucario, Ice Punch + Extremespeed.
For Togekiss, Aura Sphere over Protect and Defog over Soft-Boiled. I'll have no hazards because I don't want to get rid of them with Defog. However, if I did run hazards, it would be:

Rotom -> Deoxys-S

Deoxys-S@Focus Sash
Ability: Pressure
Nature: Timid
EVs: 252 Spe / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
-Psycho Boost
-Psycho Shift
-Spikes
-Stealth Rock

Last edited:
The deoxys seems fine to me, run that as your opener and leave the defog out and just run the recovery move for Togekiss. My earlier suggestion for Togekiss was to replace protect, just gave you a couple of options.
Should look like:
- Air slash
- Aura Sphere
- Softboiled
- Thunder Wave

Potential for Roost over Softboiled if you want to play with the flying typing but thats up to you.

PS: For deoxys Taunt may be an option as well if you perhaps dont want to set up all 4 layers of hazards. taunt on an obvious hazard layer or status user followed by SR on the switch would work wonders for your team.

Green Dragon

Formerly supertrainer300
The deoxys seems fine to me, run that as your opener and leave the defog out and just run the recovery move for Togekiss. My earlier suggestion for Togekiss was to replace protect, just gave you a couple of options.
Should look like:
- Air slash
- Aura Sphere
- Softboiled
- Thunder Wave

Potential for Roost over Softboiled if you want to play with the flying typing but thats up to you.

PS: For deoxys Taunt may be an option as well if you perhaps dont want to set up all 4 layers of hazards. taunt on an obvious hazard layer or status user followed by SR on the switch would work wonders for your team.

Ah. Togekiss shall be the way you have. Maybe on Deoxys Taunt over Psycho Boost or Spikes.

Green Dragon

Formerly supertrainer300
Well, I replaced Rotom. However, turns out Deoxys-S is Uber.
I went with Scolipede instead.

Scolipede@Black Sludge
-Baton Pass
-Swords Dance
-Poison Jab
-Toxic Spikes

Rate the new guy!

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Toxic Spikes is excessive setup and poor synergy on a Baton Pass set. I'd drop it for Substitute, Protect or Megahorn (and with Megahorn I'd drop Poison Jab for it purely so that enemies aren't ever immune to your only STAB bar Shedinja.)

Green Dragon

Formerly supertrainer300
Toxic Spikes is excessive setup and poor synergy on a Baton Pass set. I'd drop it for Substitute, Protect or Megahorn (and with Megahorn I'd drop Poison Jab for it purely so that enemies aren't ever immune to your only STAB bar Shedinja.)

Okay:

Scolipede@Black Sludge
-Baton Pass
-Swords Dance
-Megahorn
-Substitute

Better?

Also, as the team has undergone some pretty large changes, I shall post the new team here.

Venusaur@Air Balloon
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 HP
-Sunny Day
-Solar Beam
-Sludge Bomb
-HP Rock

Scolipede@Black Sludge
-Baton Pass
-Swords Dance
-Megahorn
-Substitute

Pinsir@Pinsirite
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
-Close Combat
-Quick Attack
-X-Scissor
-Swords Dance

Quagsire@Jaboca Berry
Ability: Unaware
Nature: Bold
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
-Recover
-Scald
-Toxic
-Stockpile

Lucario@Life Orb
Ability: Steadfast
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 Def
-Close Combat
-Ice Punch
-Swords Dance
-Extremespeed

Togekiss@Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
-Air Slash
-Aura Sphere
-Roost

-Thunder Wave

There! Changes are in bold.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Alrighty:

- Air Balloon Venusaur is a waste of an item slot. Venusaur isn't threatened by Ground-type attacks so an easily lost immunity to them is more of a detriment to him than anything else. Sunny Day/Solarbeam is also poor due to it requiring a turn of setup that can be easily negated by a weather-change ability. Venusaur prefers Giga Drain for its Grass STAB and if the opponent has a Zard Y it can steal a Chlorophyll boost through that.

- Pinsir would probably prefer max Speed and Jolly over Max HP and Adamant since MegaPinsir's base Speed is actually pretty good (105, faster than Garchomp and tying with regular Manectric) and your Swords Dance set would give better end-game sweeps with that extra speed behind it. Also consider Return or Thrash for a ridiculously powerful Flying-STAB move thanks to Aerilate.

- Crunch is a possible alternative over Ice Punch if Ghosts are giving you grief. The set is fine as it is though.

Finally, you're lacking an entry hazard user. I've already said Scolipede shouldn't be doing that job anyway considering it has its own stuff to handle, so preferably you'll want to swap a member out for someone to provide this for you. If it were me I'd drop Venusaur for Heatran or something since he provides Stealth Rock and also helps scare off a certain metal bird that can otherwise cause most of your team grief, Pinsir especially.

Green Dragon

Formerly supertrainer300
Alrighty:

- Air Balloon Venusaur is a waste of an item slot. Venusaur isn't threatened by Ground-type attacks so an easily lost immunity to them is more of a detriment to him than anything else. Sunny Day/Solarbeam is also poor due to it requiring a turn of setup that can be easily negated by a weather-change ability. Venusaur prefers Giga Drain for its Grass STAB and if the opponent has a Zard Y it can steal a Chlorophyll boost through that.

- Pinsir would probably prefer max Speed and Jolly over Max HP and Adamant since MegaPinsir's base Speed is actually pretty good (105, faster than Garchomp and tying with regular Manectric) and your Swords Dance set would give better end-game sweeps with that extra speed behind it. Also consider Return or Thrash for a ridiculously powerful Flying-STAB move thanks to Aerilate.

- Crunch is a possible alternative over Ice Punch if Ghosts are giving you grief. The set is fine as it is though.

Finally, you're lacking an entry hazard user. I've already said Scolipede shouldn't be doing that job anyway considering it has its own stuff to handle, so preferably you'll want to swap a member out for someone to provide this for you. If it were me I'd drop Venusaur for Heatran or something since he provides Stealth Rock and also helps scare off a certain metal bird that can otherwise cause most of your team grief, Pinsir especially.

Okay, thanks.

Venusaur shall begone.

Heatran@Air Balloon
Ability: Flash Fire
-Flamethrower
-Taunt
-Protect
-Stealth Rock

Pinsir: Return over QA.

Lucario: Yeah, they actually are. I may change to Crunch.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Don't drop Quick Attack. A priority move that powerful on a sweeper is too valuable to drop, even if it results in two offensive moves matching a type on your set.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Pinsir@Pinsirite
EVs: 252 Speed/ 252 Atk / 4 HP
-Close Combat/Return/Thrash
-Quick Attack
-X-Scissor/Return/Thrash
-Swords Dance

There's your set.