• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

DPPt/HGSS Can my team beat Fire Red's E4?

I want to know whether I stink or if I should train more befor I take on the Elite Four. If you think I could improve please tell me how so. Here's my team!

Charizard Lvl. 66
FlameThrower
Cut
Fly
Bllast Burn

Zapdos Lvl. 60
ThunderWave
Fly
RockSmash
SecretPower

Marowak Lvl. 44
Focus Energy (Really thinking of taking that one off :p)
Bonemerang
Rage
False Swipe

Onix Lvl. 48
Dragonbreath
Dig
Slam
Steel Tail

Golbat Lvl. 45
Wing Attack
Confuse Ray
Air Cutter
HyperBeam

Rapidash Lvl. 38
Ember (Soon to change to Flamethrower)
Stomp
Fire Spin
Agility

There we are, I know it kinda stinks! But thats why im asking your opinion.

trade out your rapidash for a good strong water type, maybe a water/ice like Dewgong, or a water/psychic like Starmie and level up. a lot. a whole lot. your Charizard might be ok, but the rest of your pokémon are WAY too weak to take out the elite four

Last edited by a moderator:

Sem

The Last of the Snowmen
Former Administrator
Charizard
-Flamethrower
-Aerial Ace
-Earthquake/Dragon Claw/Steel Wing
-Earthquake/Dragon Claw/Steel Wing

Zapdos
-Rain Dance
-Thunder
-Drill Peck/Fly/Aerial Ace
-Hidden Power Fighting/Rock Smash.

Marowak
-Bonemerang/Earthquake
-Double Edge/Return (Only use Double Edge if Marowak has the Rock Head ability. Unless you don't mind recoil damage.)
-Brick Break
-Aerial Ace
(Do make sure it's holding a Thick Club, if you don't have one then go Cubone/Marowak hunting and find one that's holding a Thick Club.)

Onix
-Rock Slide
-Earthquake
-Double Edge (Again, only if Onix has the Rock Head ability, if not then try Return.)
-Iron Tail

Golbat
-Aerial Ace/Air Cutter
-Sludge Bomb
-Confuse Ray
-Shadow Ball/Steel Wing

And Rapidash isn't that great of a Pokémon anyway... >> Plus you already have Charizard, I'd try evening it out with a water type.

Slowbro
-Psychic
-Surf
-Ice Beam
-Yawn

OR

Starmie
-Surf
-Ice Beam
-Psychic
-Confuse Ray

All your Pokémon should AT LEAST be at level 55. If they're in the 55-60 range then you should be ok.

Last edited by a moderator:
To put it quite simply: No. Sem and Nieru are right: Any Pokemon below level 55 is asking to be torn apart. Since you may have no access to a Slowbro because you have FireRed, Starmie or even Lapras may be a good alternative to Rapidash. Thunderbolt, Surf, Psychic and Ice Beam need to make an appearence or two (or three) in your movesets. Toxic could be helpful too. However, it would be a good idea to make Cut and Rock Smash disappear from your movesets before challenging the E4. ;)

I also recommend replacing either Marowak or Onix with a Psychic Pokemon. In my experience with the E4 I never even saw a need for a ground type Pokemon. Magneton would make a good choice simply because it's a steel type with good defense and special attack. It would help if you run into trouble with Agatha. A Snorlax with either the Immunity or Thick Fat ability and Brick Break would make a good addition to your team.

Thanks! The odd part is (im not denying your info) is that I got to the 3rd member in the E4. Probably just lucky eh? Thx tho. Adios.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
No... I have to disagree with all these must be level 55 or above claims to defeat the Elite 4 - especially the first form of FR/LG's E4. I don't consider myself to be an extraordinary player of any sort, but it's not impossible to defeat them with a team in the low 50s/high 40s - not if you have enough heal items to back you up. I don't deny that it's smart to have all your Pokemon above 50, but it's not mandatory to beat them.

What really matters most is how effectively you use your Pokemon, their movesets, and if you can heal at the right times to stay alive. Remember your type chart, and don't get reckless with who you send your Pokemon out against. Buy LOTS of hyper potions and full restores, and have lots of revives handy. Might cost you extra cash, but it'll save you from going psychotic with TM usage. If you're like me, you may not want to use all of your one-time TMs up on these particular Pokemon. That said, you could still replace many of your weaker physical attacks with buyable TMs, or even HMs. Even Strength is better than moves like Slam.

Maybe so. After all, my Pokemon we all around level 50-55 with my lowest being at 48 (and it only made ONE appearence in battle. it would've been killed otherwise) but it was a rough fight. And I'm still concerned about Rapidash and Marowak. Their levels just seem too low to do anything. A Dual water type could do wonders for this team.

Maybe it was my bad luck it was a rough fight. But tell me Artemis, how difficult was it to reach Agatha. Especially without using any electric, water, or psychic attacks?

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Don't get me wrong. It would be easier if he/she replaced that Rapidash with a different type of Pokemon since Charizard is already on the team, I just don't agree with the level issue... and that's mainly from personal experience.

Maybe other people need that extra level boost? Nothing wrong with that... It's just not the end all, be all. Since you can heal, you really don't need to match the E4s levels.

as long as you arent going to get KO'd by a single attack or two, that is, after all, if you cant stop healing long enough to make an attack, there's no way you can win

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
You still don't NEED to be level 55 to do that. I'm very much trying to refrain from "proving" that this is possible, because - like I said before - I don't consider myself an extraordinary player. But I did it, and do it, every time I challenge them.

But ah well. There's no hurt in being powerful, I just personally hate leveling up beyond standard trainer battles. If I can make do with lower levels, even if it makes things a lot tougher, I'll still go for it. More challenging that way, too.

meh, im an obsessive rpg player
honestly i hate the way they force you to follow a guide of how fast you can level up, cuz personally, I'd pull what I do in FFVII and be level 20 before I reach Brock

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
meh, im an obsessive rpg player

I'm an obsessive RPG player, too ;)

With Pokemon, the wild Pokemon battles just don't seem to give you enough EXP. You waste hours on them and seem to get nowhere unless you find a really good location.

In other RPGs, it's not always that bad. I love powering up my teams in FFVI and FFXII (though FFXII battling is just fun in general). Still, I have the notion that if you fight every battle you encounter and never run, you shouldn't have to level up. That's how I've viewed it ever since the NES days, and it's still how I see RPGs to this day... and it's not because I'm a half-assed RPG player. Anyone who'd assume that doesn't know me at all >>

But back on topic we go! Artemis can determine his/herself how much leveling up they want to do.

Maybe so. After all, my Pokemon we all around level 50-55 with my lowest being at 48 (and it only made ONE appearence in battle. it would've been killed otherwise) but it was a rough fight. And I'm still concerned about Rapidash and Marowak. Their levels just seem too low to do anything. A Dual water type could do wonders for this team.

Maybe it was my bad luck it was a rough fight. But tell me Artemis, how difficult was it to reach Agatha. Especially without using any electric, water, or psychic attacks?
Actually it was easy... second time around i got to Gary "my Rival" i switched out some of my pokemon too so it helped.

Maybe, the way i did it i had my charizard and a level 60 alakazam plus all three birds, articuno's ice beam is especially helpful for Lance and his dragon poke'mon