• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

DPPt/HGSS Cacturne

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Dear Doc and Co. (besides myself),

After a long debate of which Grass-type I'd like to train next my decision finally fell to Cactune and its high Att/Sp. Att stats. Now comes the biggest problem, though. What is a good moveset for it? I'm a bit disappointed with the selection its given. Nothing really powerhouse-ish.

Anyways, I hate having a Pokemon with an unused type, so Faint Attack (it's only Dark-type move) would be a must. As for Grass attacks, I could either go for Giga Drain's HP-stealing but low PP or Needle Arms 30% flinching and high PP. To kick up its ability I'd probably give it Sand Storm (its like Double Team with added effects), meaning Solar Beam wouldn't be worth having.
What else, though? Dynamicpunch? Destiny Bond? Ingrain or Leech Seed? Something physcial-based but accurate like Bodyslam or Return? I'm not really sure. All help is appreciated.

Thank you and have a nice day ^^

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
I'd go with the following:

Faint Attack - nice Dark type attack
Needle Arms - See next move
Sandstorm - Double Teaming ability, not much call really for another defense based attack then? Stick to Needle Arms for the proper damage.

The final move does present some choices:

You can go with Toxic and poison your foe, quite handy if they can't actually hit you either, through flinching or Cacturne's ability.

Mega Punch/Mega Kick if you can still get one of the two from the Cerulean Cape Fighter Tutors. Can be quite handy as a powerful offense attack and for taking down other Dark Types, who will already be weakened against you with your type.

Or Focus Punch, again, handy if your foe cannot hit you through your ability.

So, that's my reccomendations ^^.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I'm going to be using it on my LeafGreen game so all TMs and Move Tutor attacks are available. I didn't even think about giving it Focus Punch.

Toxic is another good choice... which leads me to a Nature debate. If I choose Toxic then Cacturne won't be using the Attack stat, thus it'd be best to lower Attack and raise something else. If I decided to change it later, tho, I'd be screwed. Any Nature recommendations?

I myself would go for the Faint attack, needle arm, sandstorm combo and throw in leech seed.

Sandstorm ups evasion and hurts foe, then leech seed hurts foe and heals you.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Alrighty. It has come to this - my final decision on Cacnea/Cacturne. Tell me if anyone sees any major faults with it:

Cacturne
Hold item: Quick Claw
Nature: Modest (Up'd Sp. Attack, Lowered Attack)
Moves: Needle Arm, Faint Attack, Sandstorm, Leech Seed/Toxic

With this nature its stats would look like this:
Hp: 344
Attack: 296
Def: 219
Sp. Attack: 361
Sp. Def: 219
Speed: 209

Since Cacturne already has bad Defences I'd rather leave 'em be, and even if I did decide to use a physical-based attack later on 296 is pretty good. The low Speed is probably its biggest issue because it'll screw up Needle Arm's flinching but even if I went with a raise Speed nature it'd only be 229 (not much of a change). Considering that I'd rather the up'd special damage.

Chances are I'll be pairing this guy with Tyranitar for 2 on 2 battles due to its automatic Sandstorm ability. In that case I'd probably give it Protect over Sandstorm to defend against EQ (even with its damage cut in half Tyranitar's high-powered EQ would devastate Cacturne's low defense).

And that be my plan.

Nemesis

Former Administrator
Just HAD to pick up on this....

Doctor Oak said:
I'd go with the following:

Mega Punch/Mega Kick if you can still get one of the two from the Cerulean Cape Fighter Tutors. Can be quite handy as a powerful offense attack and for taking down other Dark Types, who will already be weakened against you with your type.

No one told me about normal type attacks being super effective against Dark types.....

I agree with what oak said, as I have a Cacturne in my FireRed and is in my team. Now I threw in Spikes, an excellent move that can damage the foe that was switched out.

~Team Rocket's Executive

Yoshimitsu

Former Moderator
Personally, for Cacturne (though its probably a bit late for this) I'd have

Cacturne
Naive
Needle Arm
Mega Kick
Grasswhistle/Focus Punch
Double Team

Needle arm for STAB, Mega Kick for its sheer power, Grasswhistle if you can be bothered to breed it is useful, if not Focus Punch, and Double Team to almost guarrantee a good Focus Punch.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I looked into Grass Whistle but its horrid accuracy turned me off. And actually, no, it's not to late to give ideas. I've been too swamped with University work to breed it yet x.x

Anyways, do you really believe raising its speed roughly 20 higher than the norm will change its battle outcomes? I'm not saying you're wrong, I just want to know your reasoning for it ^^