• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Building my odd team help please

Snortale again. I'm carefully building my Gen 5 team, I already have Scrafty set as a team member but three more have caught my eye. What will be a good moveset for each? and will they work well with Scrafty?

Crustle @ Item:?
Nature: ?
Ability:Shell Armor/Breakable Armor
EVs: Def/Atk/HP

- Shell Break/ Hone Claws
- X-Scizzor
- Rock Wrecker/Earthquake
- Stealth Rock

Sigilyph @ Life Orb/Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard/Tented Lense
EVs: SPA/HP/SPD
-Roost
-Gravity/Mircale Eye/ Calm Mind
-Ice Beam/Air Slash
-Psychic/Psycho Shock

Druddigon @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: HP/ATK/SPD
-Hone Claws
-Outrage
-Dragon Tail
-Fire Fang/Super Power

So can you guys help?

Also which starter should I use and what should be my 6th team member? What supports Scrafty, Crustle, Sigilyph, and Druddigon (who I've come to the conclusion is a beast.)

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Might as well reveal the awful truth while we're here: You're going to need far more than that if you wish to stand up against Gen V's new threats if this is for competitive (and if it isn't you've posted in the wrong board.)

I'd love to know how you concluded that Druddigon is a beast when he has no place on any team that isn't using Trick Room. The other dragons will destroy him with ease and anything faster with Ice Beam (REGICE is faster than him!) will also crush him.

Sigilyph probably won't find much use out of Roost since its defensive prowess isn't that great - focus on Sp.Attack and Speed since they're your highest stats. Calm Mind is far better than Miracle Eye or Gravity on Sigilyph.

Crustle may struggle to set up both Stealth Rock and Shell Break in a single match. Rock Wrecker is also a horrible move that shouldn't be used by anything. Stone Edge and Rock Slide are your best choices for Rock STAB, and X-Scissor should be replaced by Earthquake for better coverage.

Here's a question that nags me a bit: where'd the rest of the 'Dex go? Using only Gen V Pokemon in competitive singles is suicidal, especially since your team isn't taking into account the new dangers Gen V has in store. I'd focus on making your final two Pokemon ones that are made to fight off the big bads, such as Haxorus, Hydreigon, Garchomp, Conkeldurr and Excadrill if you want a decent winning record.

Eh I wanted to make an odd team of only gen V'ers and try to make it work...just a small dream I had. With your advise I 'll be able somehow fix up this team some...does Scrafty work on a Trick Room team? I'll also be removing Sigilyph and replace it with Reuniclus making it my Trick Room'er....and if I build a Trick Room Team Emboar should be my starter.

As for a Mixed Gen team...well I've been thinking long and hard on that and it's hard...I want my favorites but I also want it to be good. I know I will have Cloyster with Shell Smash/Icical Spear/Skill Link, so a grass pokemon like Ferrothorn may do the trick...and maybe Garchomp to clean up.

I'm studying to be better at this...thanks for the help KoL...in a few days I can get my copy and then start pass/fail this.

Now I'm off to build movesets for the replacment and my mix gen team.