1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buddy System Announced for Pokémon GO

1. Teapot

Teapot Virtual Duck Enthusiast
    Staff Member Administrator

Niantic have just revealed the newest feature for Pokémon GO: the Buddy System.
    slack-imgs-1.com.png slack-imgs-2.com.png slack-imgs.com.png
    The Buddy system will allow trainers to choose a Pokémon from their collection to appear alongside their avatar on the profile screen. The Buddy Pokémon will provide bonuses, such as awarding Candy for walking with them, and trainers will be able to change out their Buddy Pokémon at any time.

The update has not been dated, but Niantic say it's "just around the corner."

#1 Teapot, Sep 2, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2016

Comments

Discussion in 'Pokécharms News' started by Teapot, Sep 2, 2016.

• Tags:
    1. Andrewski
      Andrewski
      Oh my goodness, I can't wait! This is going to be awesome! I can't wait to have my Jolteon by my side.
    2. Alex The Hydreigon
      Alex The Hydreigon
      That's gonna be awesome! I can have a pokemon when at the walk-a-thon my town is having! :3 thanks for telling us!!
      Hollow Omega and TooBlue12 like this.
    3. Shiny Lyni
      Shiny Lyni
      TIME TO CARRY EEVEE WITH ME EVERYWHERE <3333
    4. LokaMocha
      LokaMocha
      This is amazing, I must have my Pinsir bab along side me. -w-
    5. Koda ESP
      Koda ESP
      Can't wait to walk with my eevee! maybe eevee will ride on your shoulder like Pikachu does
    6. AliTheDarkTrainer
      AliTheDarkTrainer
      This is really cool! Gonna have Squirtle beside me all the way (Also Squirtle is a chamander }:3) (How will it feel NOW team Valor!!!!!!!!, Team mystic isn't gonna fool around with gyms Anymore!)
    7. Blue moon
      Blue moon
      Yass!!! I'll have one of my gorgeous Magikarps beside me to represent I live by the sea, and when it becomes a Gyarados I'll be such a badass!
    8. TundraZap
      TundraZap
      Yay I can have my first Pokemon I cought in game walk with meh, ghastly destroyed my friends ♥
    9. Frontier Master
      Frontier Master
      Still would have preferred trading or solo battling
      Alex The Hydreigon likes this.
    10. Carmen Lopez
      Carmen Lopez
      Good, a more reliable way for me to get Magikarp candies. That said, they need to release Gen II soon.
    11. Hernan23Pro
      Hernan23Pro
      One more reason for wanting a tactile cellphone and a Charizard :(
    12. AliTheDarkTrainer
      AliTheDarkTrainer
      Not sure they will ever release gen 2, the game was made in unity (Which tends to crash....... A LOT) and adding gen 2 may cause the game to not even run......It is a possibility that they might, but I doubt it.
    13. Mr.Munchlax
      Mr.Munchlax
      This sounds cute, too bad Pokémon Go won't let me authenticate my account anymore to log in & try it out :@
    14. The iFlare
      The iFlare
      An update including Gen 2 pokemon has already been confirmed to be coming before the conclusion of the year, I believe.
    15. Legitmoon
      Legitmoon
      Yey vaporeon shall be on meh side ●◇● ♥♥♥ ♥◇♥
    16. AliTheDarkTrainer
      AliTheDarkTrainer
      Really?!?!, well then the game probably won't run or will run very slowly (Since it already has trouble running sometimes) *Sighs* Unity is going to have many problems....
    17. Teapot
      Teapot
      Unity isn't the problem - there are literally thousands of games running on the Unity engine that run absolutely fine, even on mobile. The real issue is that Pokémon GO was released too early, and thus suffered from a lack of development time. This meant that the sort of issues that are normally solved well before launch still persisted in the first weeks after the game was available.

As it happens, Niantic have fixed a lot of the more insidious bugs already, and will continue to do so going forward - that's why we're only getting major new features now. While it still has issues, the performance and stability of the game are vastly improved over the game we got originally. Adding the Gen 2 Pokémon won't cause any harm - and because the game will continue to get bugfixes and improvements between now and then, it's possible that the version of the game with Johto Pokémon will actually run better then the game does now.
    18. AliTheDarkTrainer
      AliTheDarkTrainer
      That is a very good point (And seeing that they have a day and night cycle maybe they had already planned of adding gen 2) But I still don't see the major point of why they would release it so early, sure everyone was hyped for it, but pokemon Go being released later when the game was completed could have saved some people's lives... and they could have added a option to switch teams (Not saying that I don't like my Exp gain rate, but it would be nice to be able to change your team after you managed to get (Spoiler ahead) ultra balls.) But yeah, you do have a really good point. (I have only seen a few games that run on unity and those few tend to crash a lot.......)
    19. Teapot
      Teapot
      You've probably seen quite a few games that are made on Unity and run fine, too – you can't always tell what engine a game is made with, if any at all :)

Unity is a tool, and like any tool it can be used badly or used well. The fact that games made with Unity can be worse in terms of quality, performance, etcetera is simple: the barrier to entry is very low. Anyone with even minimal experience can make Unity do something, but that doesn't change the fact that making good games takes years of effort and tons of experience to do well.

Why the game was released when it was is something we'll never know for sure, but there's dozens of factors that could go into it. My guess is simply that a deadline was imposed by people above them, and for various reasons they had to meet it regardless of where in development the game was.
    20. AliTheDarkTrainer
      AliTheDarkTrainer
      A deadline would make sense, and it's something i've seen before, so that's most likely why. It could have been something like they were losing money so they had to release it early (Which is a likely possibility), but the deadline makes the most sense.
    21. Hollow Omega
      Hollow Omega
      Getting candy just by walking with the "buddy Pokémon" sounds good to me, won't be all that difficult to evolve some of the rarer 'mons out there. :D
      Zoltan and Alex The Hydreigon like this.
    22. Alex The Hydreigon
      Alex The Hydreigon
      Yeah, like Dratini! I've got a 10KM egg in the incubator, and I'm really hoping I get a Dratini!
      Hollow Omega and Koda ESP like this.
    23. alolatrainer
      alolatrainer
      This is just amazing so glad this is actually gonna be a thing!
    24. Magpie
      Magpie
      'Tis a great idea and one I very much look forward to going live and updating. I'll probably, like many people, use it at first just to try and get candies for the evolutions I need... but once they're done I shall probably have a trusty Vaporeon by my side. Until Gen II arrives and Murkrow is mine ♥
    25. Zoltan
      Zoltan
      "hey mom I'm gonna go walk my fish!"
      "why?"
      "to get candy."
    26. Rainbowditto
      Rainbowditto
      Can't wait to bring my nidoqueen on walks!
    27. Hollow Omega
      Hollow Omega
      Yeah, like Dratini! might also be good for starters, provided you can find them all. :D
    28. Neopolitan
      Neopolitan
      Basically what I'm doing! :D No more fishing for a good few days.
      Hollow Omega likes this.
    29. A.sir
      A.sir
      OMG! I can't wait for my pikachu to be like ash's!
    30. Noventia
      Noventia
      no-one plays it anym- k maaaaaybe i'm just salty I have a really fucking old phone and can't play go. sounds cool for all you who do have something with more computing power than a floppy disc.
    31. Kletva
      Kletva
      I'm so excited about this upcoming update!!
      Hollow Omega likes this.
    32. Linkachu
      Linkachu
      Charmander or Pikachu as my first buddy. Tough decisions are tough.

That aside, I think this is a brilliant feature and I can't wait for it to be a thing. I just hope the wait isn't too much longer so that we can finally iron out what all of these buddy Pokemon perks are and how effectively they work. :8B:
      Hollow Omega likes this.
    33. nappegirl36
      nappegirl36
      i do say that is not very gonna help... make further instructions editi'n pokemon go if you are a nintendo gamer it works for me
    34. Keleri
      Keleri
      The buddy update for pokemon go is out! ...It won't run if you have a rooted phone. :| Guess we'll see how long I can play on 0.35...