• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

DPPt/HGSS Breeding

Hello, I'm a little confused about breeding.

I want that my Froslass learns Spikes and my Luxray Ice Fang. All those ones are learned by breeding, so I though that I just need to put a Shinx//Froslass and a Ditto at "breeding house" to learn it. But It isn't the way x.x
So... how Can my pokemon learn it?

For once, I beat Xanth to the chase, xD. I'm gonna like being the smart one. =]

To get egg moves, you have to have a Male pokemon in the egg group of the baby that you want to learn the move, and a Female of the pokemon species. I.e: The Father is something that can learn spikes, and the mother is a Froslass or a Snorunt(If you want the baby to be a Snorunt). Don't forget, they HAVE to be in the same Egg group, and a Ditto can be either. I think. If you don't have another Froslass/Snorunt, then a Ditto can be the mother, and the Spikes'er the Father.

Did that answer the question well enough? ^_^

:D Ok, I finally did it :-*
But what about natures? Are all them totally random when the egg hatchs? because I'm having a bad time trying to get a Riolu with modest nature x.x

Nope, not completely random, if you have a female Modest Lucario/Riolu, that is.

You give the mother an Everstone, if you want her nature on the pokemon, and there's a fifty percent chance that she will pass on the Nature SHE HAS. Don't forget, you can't control it, except for that condition.

If you didn't understand(Which is understandable, I stink at explaining stuff xD), here's an example:
Say that You have a Female Lucario/Riolu with a Modest Nature. And you want that Nature on the kid. You give an Everstone to the Mother just before the parents breed, and there is a 50% chance the kid'll get it.

If you don't have the mother, then I wish you good luck, the only thing you can do is Hatch Riolu eggs until you get it.

And the best part is, you can get Egg moves and the right Nature at the same time!

baratron

Moderator of Elder Scrolls
Staff member
Wow. That must make getting the "right" Nature on a starter pokemon really difficult.

First you have to find or catch or trade a Ditto with the right nature.

Then you have to breed your starter with the Ditto until you get a female Pokemon with the desired nature. Remembering that starters only have a 1/8 probability of being female, and you only have a 1/2 probability of the Ditto's nature getting onto the egg, this could take some time. I can't remember off the top of my head how you use Bayes' Theorem for conditional probability, but I'm guessing the probability of being female AND with the desired nature is 1/8 x 1/2, which is 1/16...

Then you have to take your female starter with the desired Nature and breed it with a male pokemon that has the Egg moves you want. Again, there is only a 50% chance of the resulting egg having the right Nature. And if you care about the gender of the egg, more faffing about will occur...

In theory, I'd like to do it. In practice, I don't have that sort of time :o.