• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Breeding

baratron

Moderator of Elder Scrolls
Staff member
My brane hurts :(.

Trying to figure out how to get a Poliwag with both Bubblebeam and Ice Ball.

To get Bubblebeam, I need to breed a Poliwag (f) with:
Marill, Azumarill, Corsola, Remoraid, Octillery, Mantine, Surskit, Corphish or Crawdaunt (m)

but to get Ice Ball, I need to breed a Poliwag (f) with:
Spheal, Sealeo or Walrein (m)

If I understand it correctly, if I get a female Poliwag from the Bubblebeam breeding, I can't then breed her with a male Spheal and expect the baby to keep Bubblebeam, can I? Because moves from the mother are only passed on if the father also knows that move, and Spheal doesn't learn Bubblebeam?

Is there any way to do what I'm trying to do, or should I just give up and teach the Spheal Water Pulse TM (or Surf)?

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
should I just give up and teach the Spheal Water Pulse TM (or Surf)?

I think you should. Don't put yourself through the stress of getting an average attack when the others are just as good, if not better (Water Pulse for its Confusion rate and Surf for sheer power). Even if you want Bubblebeam for its Speed lowering ability, overall its not worth the work.

baratron

Moderator of Elder Scrolls
Staff member
The really sad thing is I can't even remember now why I wanted to use Bubblebeam :?. I *think* it's because I was trying not to give Surf to every single possible pkmn, because it's "cheap". The problem is, Surf is by far the best Water move. It has:

power 95 - which goes up to 142.5 with STAB
accuracy 100 - can't really get better than that
range 2 enemies, no allies
PP 15 - not likely to run out in a hurry!

Show me another Water move that even comes close?

Hydro Pump has power 120 (180 with STAB) but accuracy of only 80, range 1 enemy, and only 5 PP. In 2 on 2, it doesn't compare to Surf. The increased power isn't worth the decreased range, accuracy and PP.

Blastoise's elemental attack (Hydro Cannon) has power 150 (i.e. 225), accuracy 90 and 5 PP, and the increased power and accuracy over Hydro Pump make it worth having - probably! But only Blastoise can have it, so it's not generally useful :).

Apart from that, you have Dive and Waterfall, which aren't anywhere near as good as Surf; Water Pulse, which has a fairly low power (60 -> 90 with STAB) but a 20% chance of confusion, and Bubblebeam. And that's about it.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I know what you mean about reusing the same attack over and over again (sometimes I feel that way with EQ) but I doubt anyone would call you a cheat for overusing Surf. Since it's an HM and overall the best Water-type attack everyone uses it. Like you stated yourself, it's the only one with a high attack base and 100% accuracy. I never use Hydropump for the fact that it has low PP and bad accuracy... I'd just rather be safe than sorry.

Water Pulse can have its uses, though. Some Pokemon who can learn it can't learn Surf (ie. they're not Water-types) and it can be good for throwing the opponent off. Also, if you're lucky enough the get Confusion to work you tend to worry less about its weaker strength.

As a final choice, though, I tend to always use Surf for my water attacks. I did use Muddy Water on my Swampert in the Colosseum 2 on 2 battles but that was because I had a greater chance of lowering one of the opponents accuracy (it did miss at a few vital points, tho).