• A reminder: If you want to ask an RP thread creator if you can join their RP, do so in private - via conversation or profile messages - or via the thread's discussion thread, if one exists. Do NOT ask if you can join an RP on the RP thread itself! This leads to a lot of unnecessary OOC chatter and that's not what the RP boards are for.

This is clearly stated in our RP forum rules. If you've not read them yet, do so BEFORE posting anything in the RP forums. They may be found here (for Pokémon Role Play) or here (for General Role Play). Remember that the Global Rules of Pokécharms also apply in addition to these rule sets.
  • Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Ask to Join Boryia Tales: Sapphire Moon Mercenaries (RP)

Interested? Come join us ^^, we don't bite too much
https://pokecharms.com/threads/boryia-tales-sapphire-moon-mercenaries-discussion.24342/#post-895955

It was a pretty cold, winter morning. Rays of the sun mercilessly reflected in a white snow, that could cover Adult man feets without trouble almost completely. Although it was this cold, some birds didn't seem too bothered and they were flying around from tree to tree, chirping happily.

The young man in a fur coat was heading back to a camp with a killed by him deer. He didn't in a way so animal wouldn't feel much pain, quickly killed by an arrow. The man wanted to use the fact that they don't waste their resources while they are in the forest and hunt down today's meal. Strong cold wind played with the hair on man's head and cold seemed to get to him a bit the more he walked through the snow, but he somehow managed to pay it no mind.

As he reached the camp, it seemed that no one has been awake yet. After all, Tamo was the last on watch during the night. He started to prepare the meal for everyone, took gathered by them earlier wood and set it on fire. He took his time to prepare the deer. As he cooked, his mind was also covered in thoughts.. After the old leader passed away 7 months ago, they choosed the new one. Although he disliked her personality a bit, so far her decisions proved to lead them well so he couldn't complain about it. She definitly is better as a commander than him, that girl..

Suddenly his thoughts were interrupted by the smell of slowly cooked meat, he focused a bit more on what he was doing and tried to keep it on a well mantained fire. His thoughts wandered after this to a reason of them being in the forest at this cold times. As it seemed Tzar of Dubkia grow impatient and sended well prepared army to chomp off some of the Zveverezia southern teritories that are controlled by the Viscount Morozow.

Although Morozow has his private soldiers, the regiment had only 340 capable of fighting soldiers. While he asked his Tzar for help, it seems that Tzar had enough of his own problems on another frontline and just sended his Vassal some coins to buy some equipment for a new recruits that would be from the villages under Viscount rule. That left Viscount with only 1200 soldiers, from which 860 are just a peasants without the proper training.

Due to this, Viscount from his own money hired a few Mercenery groups, like ours, to be any sort of an aid in the upcoming conflict. Still.. Considering that enemy is said to have over a 3500 soldiers.. Tamo couldn't help it but worry.. Leader probably may be even ordered to command more than just our unit as mercenaries are seen as more expierienced in conbat than peasants after all.

So now, They were heading to a meeting point with Morozow's Forces. Tamo just hoped that none of their group members, new and old.. That no one will get hurt. He finished making food and placed each portion on the seperate wooden plate. He expected that others schould wake up soon.

Another member of the mercenaries, Kiwi, stretched as she left her tent, blinking as she saw Nubis and Toma already out.
"Oh, hey guys...!" She yawned midway through her sentence, having clearly just gotten her boots, scarf, and jacket on with how messed up they looked as she quickly struggled to fix them. Failing that, she quickly gave Toma a salute.
"I-I mean good morning, Lieutenant!" She quickly said, a militaristic attitude towards this sort of thing clearly still in her, despite her time in the Sapphire Moon Mercenaries.

"Morning, I hope you could sleep well, both of you" said Tamo with a smile then added "No need to be this formal, Leader isn't up yet" He chuckled then walked up to them. He helped Kiwi a bit with that messed Clothing, cuz it would be better she doesn't catch cold. Nubis seemed to cover himself better, but he was worried for his state too.

He handed them a freshly made meal in two plates, one for each of them. "Here, enjoy your meal till you can, cuz I guess we won't make any breaks today from our march" He told them. He himself didn't eat yet, waiting for everyone to wake up.

Psymallard

Previously mallard
Free woke from dreams of battle and war. Already in a good mood, he threw on a black long sleeve, pants, and boots. He also bundled up in a hide blanket and left the tent. He looked around at the snowy morning, and then towards the other ones awake. He grinned, this would be the first real mission he goes on with this group, being on the team for a month or two now. He waddled over to the fire, noticing how breakfast was waiting, and what remained of a deer sitting nearby. He silently chuckled to himself, his breath misty in the cold air. "Oh? Breakfast? For me? I'm deerly pleased that you were game to cook us all food." He jumped onto a log stool he made for himself yesterday's evening. "Goooooooooood morning! How's everybody doing?"

Last edited:

Gamingfan

Previously Gamingfan2
Two eyes blinked open from a pile of somewhat melted snow. At least, that was what it looked like. The frozen puddle reshaped itself into its normal blob-like shape, complete with a mouth, which gave off a mute yawn. The slime was awake, looking around the area.
The slime noticed most of the others were already awake.
Having changed to an snow slime while adjusting to the climate, the slime didn't mind the cold much. It bounced towards it's friends, excitedly looking at the food. Slimes technically didn't need to eat, but it found the experience enjoyable anyway. Just another thing that separates it from other slimes, who only eat out of necessity.

Last edited:

Psymallard

Previously mallard
As Kiri responded, Free tucked his feet under him, perching on the stool. "I'm excited!" As he said this, he inserted his scorpion tail into the log, pulling himself up and twisting upside down. "How long 'til we get there, Tamo?" His attention was diverted as Slime woke. "Slime!" He pushed himself forward, landing on his feet next to the slime, log still attached to his tail. He squat down to pat the blob, a giant grin on his face. "How'd ya sleep buddy?"

"Who said I'm not up yet," Serias scowled from her tent, her gruff voice carrying into the small clearing where the Sapphire Moon's camp had been set up. "You could wake the dead with the racket you lot are making."

The elven woman brushed aside her tent flaps and her boots crunched into the fresh snowfall. She frowned as her feet sunk; it was about ankle deep. And that meant today's march would be difficult. Snow and slush always made for poor travel conditions, so they would need to leave early if they wanted to make good time. It wouldn't be safe to travel in the dead of night when the snow was this thick.

Serias sighed and quaffed from the flagon at her hip. The strong liquored sent warm currents throughout her body. The heat was at odds with the cold, crisp morning air and Series shook off the last of her grogginess. The sun was still on the ascent and Serias judged, by the soft light spilling through the tree-branched, that the morning was still young.

She turned to address the members of the group and her nose rankled at the gamey smell of the deer, "Eat then bury whatever you don't finish. We don't need anything nasty catching our scent. Once you're done, gear-up and pack up. We'll leave in an hour."

"No problem, Kiri" He replied quickly with a smile and then turned to Free, who seemed to befriend the slime that came over. "It depends... It will probably take us a day or two, depends on how fast we will march and if there gonna be less snow when we leave the forest." He answered to Free.

Then shiver went on his spine... Sound of gruffy leader voice. He turned to Serias and gave a short salute." Good Morning, Leader!.. Hmm.. Now that you mention it, we may try ressurect the dead this way" he chuckled and then added to her statement "Of course, Its better if you eat all of it cuz I worked hard on it for once and two, I highly doubt you will do well without a proper meal today" He said with a smile to everyone. He took a plate and handed it to Free, then another one to Serias and added "Your share boss"

"A day or two, then we're on the battlefield..." Kiri grimaced at Tamo's answer to Free's question as she watched the slime.

Kiri gasped as she heard Serias' voice, but quickly recomposed with a salute to Serias.
"Ah, good morning leader!" She quickly said. "Got it! A-And sorry for the noise!" She responded to the orders, finishing eating her food before going back into the tent to make sure she hadn't left anything behind.

Psymallard

Previously mallard
"Two days is a long time..." He trailed off as he heard the sound of a familiar voice of an authoritative figure. His head whipped around and his mouth puckered, letting out a soft "Oohf," grunting sound, like the vocalization of a slightly startled monkey. He'd always been a little nervous around authority, and made sure to be more careful around the more serious ones. He shot to his feet in a salute, chest puffed out dramatically and tail tossing the log to the side, away from the camp. He relaxed after a moment, and greeted her as well. "Good ta see you boss." Free then took a plate from the lieutenant, and retrieved his log. Using the kunai part of the kunai and chain, he cut the deer steak in two, offering half to Slime, while simultaneously chomping into his half.

Gamingfan

Previously Gamingfan2
Slime gave a jolly grin towards Free and Kiri, his body wobbling slightly from the pat. Who it came to understand as the "queen" of the group finally appeared, prompting some...interesting reactions from everyone. Mostly nervousness. Slime itself didn't react much, only giving the queen a welcoming smile before its attention was entirely diverted to the meat place before it. Slime ate the entire half immediately, drooping slightly in satisfaction as the meat bubbled away inside it.

| Korutesu |

Previously NotAPokemonRanger
"Ah- Goodmorning everyone!" A newer member of the group, but was a good Conjurer nonetheless. His black and white hair was messy, as he woke up. He noticed everyone else was already awake, as he was the last to wake up. "Sorry for waking up late, Good morning lieutentant, Everyone". he noticed Slime eating some meat as well. "hey there Slime!" Looking around he noticed the dead deer, as he came to grab a piece, while also taking a plate.

He had heard what the queen said, once he had finished his piece of meat, he grabbed some herbs from a surface with a small layer of topsnow, for everyone to use it if they needed it. "Okay... so i have herbs, what else can i use-" Looking around, He had found nothing. "Not a single flower... The herbs will do for now, I won't be able to use flowers anyway until spring... Means i can't amplify my powers until then.. I gotta find just ONE flower in this snow" He looked around again, but as the same earlier, didn't see anything.

The snow was getting higher. They needed to go as fast as they can if they wanted to reach their destination in the fastest time. "So... Where are we headed next?" He asked Serias, their leader.

"Too gamey, I'll stick to rations." She declined. Serias wasn't a fan of the taste of game-meat, the taste was too strong for here liking. Still, it wouldn't do to waste good food. It had a cost, after all. "Slime still looks hungry, so give my portion to him. I need to check our supplies before we leave."

Before she left, she decided to answer Apollo's question.

"We're heading to Morograd, in south Zveverezia. Word in the taverns is that Viscount Morozow is looking to hire mercenaries since the Tzar of Dubkia's got his eyes on Morozow's territory. It's a good opportunity for us, so if the Viscount is willing to pay the right price, then we'll help him out."

Tamo took all things that they needed, it were mostly rations, some of his weapons and etc. His ears catched something weird, earlier happy birds stopped to chirp and sing. It was worrysome... Then as he used to, he went lost in thoughts again.

They would start to move out, Tamo went first and checked the area ahead, preparing track for others to follow. Light that reflected on snow and hit his eyes, which caused some troubles. He tried to follow sound and smell mostly. After some time they got lucky, Tamo found a path in snow trodden by animals. Why it was lucky, well it could make their travel through a snow easier, he then waited for others to announce what he found. Making a way for a group wasn't needed now.
"Look, boss! Animals made path for us" he said with a smile.

They could go further through a forest, but silence was getting to him.. Something wasn't right. After a while he saw something laying on a snow and in fast leaps went to see what it is. "Wha..."
A corpse, an animal of tge bear body and Owl head.. Which great proffesors of this world gave very creative name 'Owlbear'.

Owlbears weren't a simple animals, they are known as 'Mana Beasts' and they were of a C class. They aren't weak.. No, those are a really tough monsters.
The body was frozen to death, Mana beast that has a frost breath and could kill a Beast of a C class was somewhere here.. Due to a corpse being frozen, Tamo couldn't tell if body was fresh or not.

While Kiri wasn't even close to the front of the group, she still heard Tamo's statement of the animals having made a path, and was just as unnerved by the lack of chirps from birds or...well, any animal she could've seen here.

"That's convenient..." She couldn't help but whisper to herself, shuffling her scarf up on her face nervously as she held onto her mask in the cold. In her experience before joining the group, animals didn't tend to do that....perhaps during that time she had just been unlucky? Ah, didn't matter now, she decided, as she continued to go with the group until she heard Tamo's surprise at finding the Owlbear.

"Lieutenant, what is it, sir?" She began to ask, only to discover what it was as she slowly trudged her way over to what Tamo had found.

"Oh..." She hid a gasp. "Leader, Lieutenant," She began. "You don't suppose the animals that made the path were running from anything, do you?" She asked, now a little worried. She took a look around the corpse, trying to tell whether or not the Owlbear had been able to put up a fight or not. If not... well, she could hope that it wasn't nearing the group.

Psymallard

Previously mallard
Free carried his backpack of stuff while frolicking through the snow, still wrapped in his hide blanket. Usually on these trips he'd like to watch or listen to the animals, but this area was eerily unalive. In the absence of animals, he threw snowballs into the trees to prevent boredom. Eventually, the group stopped. The scorpion beastfolk walked around the group, finding the frozen owlbear. He grinned and leapt atop the beast. The ice was slippery at first, but he was able to find traction in the uneven nature of the frost. He crouched down and stabbed his kunai into the back to further solidify his balance. "Man," he knocked on the ice, "I wouldn't expect something to freeze like this naturally. Hey boss, you think I should draw out whatever did this so we can ice it? Might be a good warm-up before the juicy part of the mission." He grinned and raised his free hand, crackling with fiery explosive energy.

Last edited:
Free wasn't weak and he made a display of power quite often, lifting a log and showing his attitude towards action. Yet, Tamo couldn't say, if they boy could survive the attack of a creature that attacked an Owlbear.

Due to his Serious fist injury that Tamo gained in one mission, he never get an occasion to test out new recruits, so he was curious of their combat capability. He or Boss would step in if something would happend. Although he disliked the air-headed approach to a problem that Free had, he could see that maybe it will be a good thing for them if they meet the beast.

However Kiri was probably right to, that beibg could be a reason that scared of animals, which means that it should be somewhere close. Fighting it on a snow would be a really hard task too, they need also think about that they may end up losing stamina and agility faster than the beast in this cold enviromenth.

In the end, he wanted to leave the decision to their Leader, Serias. They couldn't take Beast core from the owlbear to sell it due to ice that may break with the body if they try to release it, such a kind of a waste. They also didn't know how much time the fight may take, should they search for a beast, casually walk thinking they may encounter it or maybe hide from it. All of this was only up to a boss decision.

Gamingfan

Previously Gamingfan2
Having no possessions of his own-y'know, being a mostly wild slime and all-Slime simply waited for everyone to get ready before moving on. He slid across the top of the blanket of snow, actually moving faster than the others due to barely sinking in the snow.
That is, until he found himself left behind as everyone began running towards a frozen figure up ahead. Curious, Slime slid over, poking at the ice curiously until it caught a glance of what it covered. The sight of an Owlbear unnerved the slime, causing it to back away and keep a distance, looking around for any other threats.

Serias folded her hands, her expression was laden with contemplation.

Owlbears weren't weak and, though Serias had every confidence that her troupe would be able to put one down with ease, something that could take an Owlbear down with ease was another matter altogether. She needed to assess the cost.

"On guard," Serias warned. She scanned the area but didn't see anything suspicious. She needed to get a closer look at the corpse and it would need to be before Free stepped over all the evidence. The beastfolk scorpion was raring to go, but in a situation like this, it could do more harm than good. His enthusiasm was better put to use elsewhere.

"Free, go take a look around. See what you can find."

"Kiri, go with him. Keep him out of trouble," She added.

The pyromancer was a bit too eager to let loose alone, but she trusted Kiri would keep him in check.

In the meantime, she needed some more info. For that, Serias turned to her lieutenant.

"Tomo, what's in the area? Are there any villages nearby?"

| Korutesu |

Previously NotAPokemonRanger
"hey, Slime c'mere let's stay behind for now." As he gestured for Slime to follow him to one of the tents. "The Balance" following closely behind. "Can i see the owlbear? I'll check on what could've killed it" He walked on over to the Owlbear, Inspecting it, But not finding anything that could define what killed the Owlbear.

"No.. sadly, i can't see or define anything that could've killed it. For now, i think we should stick together and just stay safe. We still have a long way to go to get to Monograd."

Taking another look around, He noticed free and Kiri was looking around themselves. It wasn't important, Unless soemthing had jumped out of those woods. Apollo knew anything could happen and would never let his guard down.

Psymallard

Previously mallard
Free listened to his instruction with mixed feelings, but mostly was fine with it. "Alright, boss! You can count on us!" He yanked the kunai out of the frosty meat and rolled backwards, landing on his feet. "C'mon, Kiri! We have a monster to track!" He spun around and started to trudge into the forest. He thought out loud, "Ya'd think that whatever did this was chasing the wildlife for food, right?" He squat down, running his hand over the packed snow. "That means we just gotta follow the trail!" He broke into a sprint and leapt at a tree. He halfway wrapped his tail around the trunk, stabbing his stinger into the opposite side. "Let's go slowpoke!"

"On it, Leader." Kiri gulped. While she was fine with working with Free, a cheerful attitude was always good to see...but something like this could be bad.

"Right, coming!" She told Free, moving as fast as she could (Though clearly as a human she had a disadvantage compared to Free in travelling). "Yeah, I can't really think of another reason..." She admitted shakily, more than a little worried at her new issue as she pulled her scarf down to make herself easier to hear, almost immediately regretting it due to the cold but feeling it was too late to go back on that without looking silly now. "Follow the trail...right, that makes sense. Let's be careful, though." She pointed out, following the best she could.
"I'm not slow!" She protested at being called slowpoke as she followed, simply sprinting since she could not do the same trick that Free could.

"There is one just by the exit from the forest, but its not straight on the way to our destination. It may take us more time to go there" said Tamo to boss.

He was trying to remind himself what previous leader tought him... Mana beasts stronger than owlbeast and using ice attacks... But there was a big number of those.

"We can't say if Village is in danger due to that beast tho nor how long it is here.." He added.

Meanwhile, Kiri and Free could see something strange ahead... A footprint, looking like a canine one, but really big one too.

"Hmmm," she hummed. "Then we'll need to make a detour."

After a moment of thought, Serias decided it wasn't something to leave alone. A mana beast as strong as the one they were facing would probably claim a large territory as its own. The village could be at risk but they would need to visit the village in order to confirm.

It was likely the village would've had encounters with whatever the mana beast was. A village this far out in the boonies probably kept livestock. Docile animals like that would certainly be an easy and appealing meal for any predatory mana beast.

If Serias' suspicion held true, then the village should also have more information on the beast. That information would be critical to identifying and then slaying the beast; and, if Serias had it her way, they'd also make a pretty penny off their bounty.

"Let's pack things up and get a move on. I don't want this to delay us for too long"

Psymallard

Previously mallard
Free sees the canine print, clear that the paw's owner is likely a dangerous creature. He leapt forward to get a better look, picking up a stick out of the snow and poking at the print with it. "Look Kiri! We should be seeing that sucker any minute now." He looked out at the forest to make sure the creature wasn't already visible from that spot. He raised his hands in the air and swung them downwards, the same unstable energy from before emitting from his arms. "It's showtime!" He ran, following the tracks, but made sure to keep a pace that he thought his partner could keep up with.

Kiwi did her best to hide her gulp at the sight of the print...it was much larger than she hoped, not good. Still, she decided to press on.
"Yeah, like that's a good thing..." She muttered as she saw Free poking the footprint with a stick. "Showtime, huh?" She acted brave, before nodded. "Right! I won't fall behind on this one!" She promised before running, aiming to follow Free as quickly as she could. She did find that Free, being as cheerful as he was, was certainly helping her feel braver in this situation, but it wasn't exactly making it all good, as that feeling of absolute dread was still there. But no backing out now, that would just be cowardly, she decided as she kept following.

"Yes boss!" said Tamo and leaded others, luckily enough, Village was on the way Kiri and Free were heading so they wouldn't lose track on them.
He kept wondering what kind of beast they can meet. "Hmm... Canine footprint?..."

The footprints leaded them for about 200 meters and suddenly there were no more tracks... Was beast far away... Or close?

(Sorry its this short)

Psymallard

Previously mallard
Free looked at the track's end with concern. "Hey, Kiri... look at the trees. I'm betting this sucker with the extra minty breath can fly." He clutched his kunai yet again and ran at the trunk of a tree. He leapt and dug into the wood with his blade. He heaved himself upwards and stabbed through the bark with his stinger. He climbed with both his tail and weapon up to some of the lower branches and looked for a big beast from his vantage point. "Tweet tweet, chucklefuck! Come out, come out whereever you are!"

Last edited:
Kiri looked upon the end of the track, and had to focus everything on what Free was saying just to stop her thoughts from going wild in worry.
"Fly? Well...that sounds plausible... Plus, that would make it easier to ambush that Owlbear..." She agreed, before seeing Free go up the tree. "Be careful you don't get attacked up there!" She shouted up to him as a slight warning, since there wasn't much she could do to help him from down at the bottom of the tree, which made a teensy-bit worried.

"Let's catch up to them, if we are heading to a village then It would be better if we go as one group" Tamo proposed and rushed through a snow.. It was tiring, but he didn't wish to stop.. He started to get worried and his animal instinct felt like he should act like animals of the forest, escape in the opposite direction. Maybe it was just his imagination...

Suddenly snow behind Kiri seemed to raise up, and then it seemed that it wasn't snow, a white beast camouflaged itself in a snow as if it knew earlier that it was tracked. No wonder that it could kill owlbear. Beast looked like a completely white wolf, but it was huge, slightly bigger than a horse. It howled and on his back appeard something like ice spikes. Wolf growled and showed off its teeth as it exhaled every time, Kiri could feel a great cold from his breath, let's leave alone that it also stinked for now.
Winter wolf, B class Mana beast.

It raised his head and used a frostbreath attack towards free, the same frost that freezed owlbear to death, as a follow up, Wolf leaped for a pounce in Kiri direction.

Tamo worries start to grow bigger as he heard howls from tracks direction. "Something must be in front of us"

Kiri felt a shiver down her spine as she felt a sudden cold, and was about to call up to Free when she realised some kind of breath attack came from behind her towards Free. Panicked, she turned around, yelping as she realised the Winter Wolf was there.
"So that's what- Ah!" She began, quickly moving to get out of the way of the pounce, tumbling in the snow in the process. "Look out, Free!" She called to her ally, before focusing on the wolf.
This is bad...but remember how to do this! She told herself, trying to snap herself out of her panic and failing, yet forcing her to actually think.

Quickly, she decided her best course of action was to rely on her abilities as an augmenter, channelling her mana into her throat in order to help her yell louder.
"Mana beast, over here! Looks like a Wolf mana beast of some kind!" She yelled, hoping the others would hear, before she had to quickly channel her mana away from there into her legs, aka the only other part of her body she knew how to channel mana to. She knew she had to stay on her toes and be quick to beat a foe this large, not much faster a human like her could manage than mana channelled into legs.

Psymallard

Previously mallard
Free didn't see the wolf- he was looking for it in the opposite direction. He did hear Kiri's warning, which saved him, as he whipped his head around with the frost rapidly approaching. He leapt to the side- but not fast enough to be completly out of danger. The cold caught his forearm and the hand holding his kunai temporarily as Free winced. Still soaring through the air, the ice glowed a bright orange before exploding, freeing hand and forearm still sizzling with flame that trailed behind him. The scorpion man landed on another trunk, bouncing off of that and downwards. He landed between Kiri and the wolf, and hollered, "Bad dog, Fido! You know you need your medicine!" With his left hand, he generated a sphere of fire and heaved it with all his might at the chilling canine's maw, aiming to go down the gullet and explode the dog from the insides.

"Wha—" Serias flustered as she heard Tamo's muttering. "Canine tracks!?"

A sense of foreboding caused cold-sweat to drench her back, but even as she rushed to catch up with her group, she was too late. She could hear the howls and the flare of magic in the distance. Free and Kiri had probably engaged. Serias sprinted through the snow, yelling orders as she passed Tamo.

"Get back to the Camp!", she hollered. "Have it packed up before I get back and get ready to run!"

Serias pressed her palms together murmuring a chant as she focused her magic. In short order, she had conjured two inky blackbirds and she sent the flying just ahead of her. She hoped dearly that she could get to Free and Kiri before they did anything rash, like kill the mana-beast. Canine-type mana beasts were almost always in packs and if they killed a pack member, the others would chase them to the ends of the planet.

Tamo stopped and nodded after he received the orders and went back.
"Everyone, Orders of Boss! Pack everything and get ready to leave area immidietly after she gets back!" He turned to a way Serias went... If this really was a pack they would need to reorganise their strategy as soon as they get to the village... He just hope she will return alive.. And bring Free with Kiri unharmed too.

As Fireball was on its way to the wolf, it breathed another cold breath at it and weakened it power before it hit. Seems the beast wasn't too dumb, although it still took some demage, spikes on its back start to slowly grow larger and appear around the legs too, it quickly leaped in their direction again. Ready for the kill of those two small creatures it just got to see.

Psymallard

Previously mallard
Free was startled at the wolf suddenly leaping out of the flame, and was not ready to dodge. He held his chain horizontally against the bite, and slipped on the snow beneath him, knocking him beneath the wolf. He did his best to squeeze between where the paws landed and not get crushed. He tried his best to pull the wolf's head down using the chain of his weapon (the success of this can be determined by @Clite of Dragonbow ), yelling, "Throw me a bone here, Kiri!"