• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Books ~Try to keep spoilers to a minimum~

So, this is the topic to talk about books, your favourites, your least favourites or the one's you're reading now.
Personally, I perhaps haven't read as many books as I should have, but I have a sizeable list of books I like, so I'll list a couple of 'em:

The Hobbit
Amazing book. Brilliant storytelling, endearing, charming and a great read in general. I'm currently reading The Lord of the Rings, and so far it's just as good, albeit slightly more adult.
All Narnia Books
In a way, a counterpart to The Hobbit and The Lord Of the Rings, I found these very readable and they had some truly astounding imagery in them.
To Kill a Mockingbird
Read this book for English. a brilliantly written book (I should know, I had to write 1200 bloody words on it.) The whole concept of racial discrimination seen through a child's eyes works great.
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
While I like all the Harry Potter books, this one stands out as the best of the series. It was thrilling from start to finish and was a great ending to the books.

Books. Hell yeah.

I'll admit; I'm a bookworm. A maaaaajor bookworm. I have bookcases full of books I've read over and over- One of the cons of hyperlexia, really.

I read pretty much every genre- Except the more 'adult ones', of course. A list of my favourite authors/series;

-Harry Potter
Do I even have to explain? Harry Potter is simply the best of the best, when it comes to teenage fantasy novels. A fantastic mix of detail, without ever getting boring, action, drama, and humour. I've read all the books, seen most of the movies, and I want do visit the theme park once~

-Percy Jackson.
Now this is a really epic series. A clever combination of modern life and Greek mythology, and the best part is the ever-apparent brilliant humour. I really want to be a son of Apollo. xD

-Eragon.
Dragons. 'Nuff said.

No, seriously, these books are really nice. It lacks the humour and drama of most teenage novels, but I dare to say that this actually makes it better, because it enables you to focus on the story better. A very well-written tale of a young man trying to survive in extraordinary conditions.

-Stephen King
God. Of. Literature. I love every single work by him I've ever read. I'm currently reading one of his more recent novels; Under The Dome, which is an awesome book, although not always very teenage-suitable.

Books books books~ I wish I had more time to read these days.

-Douglas Adams- why isn't he on any list thus far? The Hitchhiker's Guide series can put a smile on my face even if I'm in the worst of moods. I'm currently rereading the gigantic "The More Than Complete Hitchhiker's Guide" with its fancy leather binding :> It's just one of those series that has everything, and Adams' sense of humor is pure genius. The world lost an excellent, excellent man when he shuffled off this mortal coil.

I'm also a big fan of Kurt Vonnegut. It all started with the usual assigned book (Slaughterhouse Five), and then I picked up Breakfast of Champions and Cat's Cradle. I always go and look for more when I go to bookstores (which, unfortunately, is not very often these days >>) There's something about his writing style that really strikes me- and I love it. It keeps my attention for hours on end XD

I also read the Halo universe books, although they are by no means the best things out there. Cryptum was well written, but so un-Forerunner that it made me angry with rage. My favorite of those is either Evolutions or Ghosts of Onyx. And although these books are mediocre at best, they had the most un-mediocre character ever, and that would be Xytan 'Jar Wattinree. If you don't know who this influential and integral Sangheili is, then you pretty much missed the entire point of the Halo series. I seriously cannot understate his importance.

Psycho Monkey

Member of the Literary Elite Four
My favorite book of all time is the Chinese epic known as Saiyuki or Journey to the West in English speaking countries.

In short, and lacking as many spoilers as I possibly can, the story is about a Chinese monk of the Tang Dynasty named Xuanzang who is sent on a pilgrimage to India to collect Buddhist scrolls to bring back to China. Accompanying Xuanzang is Sha Wujing the River Monster, Zhu Bajie the Pig Demon (inspired the design for Emboar), and my favorite fictional character of all time, His Majesty the Handsome Monkey King Sun Wukong! >:D

Xuanzang may be the official main character, but Sun Wukong is the real main character. He steals the show every chance he gets and the first seven chapters are entirely devoted to the Monkey King's back story. Also, Sun Wukong inspired the design for Infernape.

I implore everyone who hasn't to read Journey to the West. It is a great story.

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
PM, I think that's an epic, not a novel/book |D Or at least, originally for the Chinese, it was an oral epic passed down before it was written down. I think. Someone totally correct me if I'm wrong XD But I agree with you; it's an awesome story, and people should read it. (Of course, many things get lost in translations, but eh~)

Anyways, top few novels/series I love(d):
-Harry Potter
-Inheritance Cycle
-Percy Jackson
-Warriors (that cat series... yes, THAT one. xD)
-The Hunter Games and Catching Fire (Mockingjay... ew. no.)
-The Chronicles of Narnia
-Redwall (I've only read the first book... they keep getting checked out at the library <<)
-Twilight Saga

I also enjoyed some of the books from school, like Life of Pi and The Hobbit, but none of them would be considered favorites. ^^;

EEEEEEEEEE! I love books! Here are my favorites!

Eragon,Eldest,Brisignr- I love love love Eragon~ Probably my most favorite.
Percy Jackson
Warriors-Me too Shiny!
The Hobbit
The Kneebone Boy- The amazing book nobody's ever heard of.
The Hunger Games
Shakespeare's secret- Not really a novel, but same case as the Kneebone Boy.
That's... Off the top of my head.

Like most others, the Harry Potter, Inheritance, Percy Jackson, LotR, and Narnia series are some good 'ole books I'll re-read constantly. However, there are a few others...

Heir to the Empire Trilogy, by Timothy Zahn
This set of Star Wars books, also called the Thrawn Trilogy, takes place after Episode VI, and follows the battles against Thrawn, the Thirteenth Grand Admiral, who essentially is one of the coolest villains ever. The guy can learn almost all there is to know about a species through their art, and he also has some seriously awesome tactics. A good read, very well written, and completely lovely.

Darth Bane Trilogy, by Drew Karpyshyn
YES. GOD YES. Drew Karpyshyn does an excellent job at chronicling the life of Darth Bane, otherwise known as he who reinstated the Darth line and created the Rule of Two. The books grab interest fast, and you don't have to know squat about Star Wars to like them, as they explain virtually anything you don't understand. The first one especially is my favorite, as it gives a really neat look into how the Sith used to operate, as well as other stuff. I recommend this series...or at least, the first book, Path of Destruction. If you don't like it, well...you will.

Yeah, I know, Star Wars series and whatnot. Well, I liek them. Kthxbai.

Yeeeeeaaaaahhhhh..... Time to show you all up. This right here represents only a small percentage of the books I have read and loved.

bookcase1.jpg

But getting to series I suppose I should start listing them as the series I have read and whatnot.

-First of all, a large portion of one of those shelves is all Star Wars:New Jedi Order books. But I have read just about every post movie era book and quite a few deep history book in the SW universe bar the newest running series and a smattering of one offs.
-The Wheel Of Time by Robert Jordan. One of the most EPIC and most complicated storylines to ever follow.
-The Sword of Truth by Terry Goodkind. Lots of similarities to Wheel of Time but on a much smaller scale in terms of cast and books.
-Symphony of the Ages by Elizabeth Hayden. A really awesome epic overarching love story at its core, with tons of awesomeness mixed in.
-The Hobbit/Lord of the Rings. No explanation needed.
-The Death Gate Cycle. Thanks to Stel for recommending this series.
-Most of the Dune books.
-Most of the Oz books. Yes, as in Wizard of Oz. There is a LOT more to that universe than just the first book. Most of the stories are whimsical and crazy adventure stories. Quite good reads.
-The Nightrunner series.
-The Runelords.
-Harry Potter.
-Narnia.
-The Tales of Lanen Kaelar (Song in the Silence, The Lesser Kindred, Redeeming the Lost).
-The Elvenborn.
-About 3/4 of the Earthsea Cycle.
-The Dragonslayer Chronicles.
-Almost all the Drizzt books. If you know who he is, you know what I'm talking about.
And a slew of other books too many to mention both fantasy and also tons of high science fiction standalone books. I had my oldest brother to thank for infusing me with a large supply of reading material and suggestions growing up.

You all have been learned.

Any Stephen King, i'd say.

I also like:

Percy Jackson series
Harry Potter series
Eragon (first two books that is)
Anything by Anthony Horowitz

Gaaaarsh (at the risk of sounding like Goofy)... I read a lot, though it is mostly textbooks nowadays due to class. However, in the summer, I will be reading for pleasure more.

when not reading textbooks, I am quite fond of Stephen King, other horror authors, fantasy, science fiction, and I am starting to get into Kurt Vonnegut.

Secad said:
I am starting to get into Kurt Vonnegut.
I just read Slaughter-House Five for AP Lit. It was strange, but that was probably the point (well, that and to point out that war/massacre aren't to be glorified). I can't say I enjoyed it, but it was rather engrossing.

I enjoy Harry Potter, Discworld, Corneila Funke books, fantasy in general pretty much. And Sci-fi. And if it's just written in a style I like :p.

I would have to say the nerdiest book I've ever read is the Star Trek: TNG and X-Men cross-over. IT WAS AWESOME. (Planet X btw).