• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

DPPt/HGSS Blimping it up

Setting up a Drifblim for Baton Passing Madness. I'm going with the Defense ups on this one.

Drifblim - Calm @ Focus Sash
252D/252SpD/6HP
Stockpile
Baton Pass
Other moves are not important

My concern is the EV's; Drifblim's defenses aren't great, and even on max EV's don't do much. I was thinking in double battles and I can pair him with a "Follow Me-er" and he'll be fine, but in singles I need to figure out a good spread to make him survive. I didn't want to put them into HP because with just 4EVs in HP he reaches a minimum 411HP. Help me out here guys, and please just the EV's and nature; I don't want to hear about moves. Cheers.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Max HP is a must on Baton Pass Drifblim. Even with the low defenses, OHKO'ing a Max HP Drifblim is hard as hell thanks purely to its enormous HP stat. A set I had used against me recently carried a Sitrus Berry as the item, Max HP and I believe an even spread over the defenses. Unburden helps a lot here, since once that Berry gets used up your Speed doubles as well, helping you Stockpile up more and then pass away since you now (probably) outspeed your opponent.

Mmm, I hear 'ya, problem is with that set-up, any ghost Pokemon with a high special attack can take him down still with a single Shadowball.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Actually, I doubt that very much - Max HP Drifblim can withstand a Lucario Crunch with around 40% HP to spare, and that's going after its overall weaker Defense stat. With the right EV training (and your Nature seems to support Sp.Defense too) you CAN survive those attacks, but Max HP is an absolute must for Drifblim no matter what it is you're trying to pass (or survive.) Obviously stuff like Gengar will cause issues, but if you keep Drifblim in against Gengar you deserve to get killed by it. >_>

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Mmm, I hear 'ya, problem is with that set-up, any ghost Pokemon with a high special attack can take him down still with a single Shadowball.

An alternative there is to give your Drifblim the Ghost-type damage reducing berry, then either hope your opponent takes the bait or switch in on a predicted Ghost-type attack. With Unburden in play you'll quickly get your speed boost, allowing you to Stock Pile quicker.

Either way, KoL is right. My Drifblim (which held a Sitrus Berry) took a Crunch from his Lucario nicely and still manage to get in at least two Stock Piles before I Baton Pass'd out (not that it made much difference in the end, but hey. It worked at the time XD).