• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Big Pokémon News To Be Revealed January 8th?

Demelza

Eevee Tamer
Staff member
It looks likely that the new year is set to begin with a bang for fans of Pokémon after a teaser was shown for a big announcement next month. The teaser was shown in Japan after a trailer for Pokémon Black 2 and Pokémon White 2 and states that the next big Pokémon news will be announced on the 8th of January.

c9898e07d6e51992f7c4306427a68336.jpg

It's currently unclear just what the announcement will be, at this point it could be anything from game news, to the anime, or maybe even something completely different. We'll just have to wait and see what happens, but whatever happens it's sure to be an exciting time for Pokémon fans.

Last edited:

Demelza

Eevee Tamer
Staff member
Actually gonna jump in and say I wouldn't mind if it wasn't a game related announcement, I'd quite like just a new Pokémon at this stage. :)

I've seen a lot of people round the internet saying that it's definitely going to be Gen VI, which surprised me, as I don't think that's going to happen.

I'm sure Game Freak will try and get through this generation fairly quickly so that it can step up to the 3DS, but it's way too early at the moment for Gen V to end. Gen IV lasted four years, but, unless Game Freak were to announce Gen VI nearly two years before its release, the 'four year generation' trend wouldn't be followed, which seems unlikely.

B2W2 were released a few months earlier than the 'expected' time. Similarly, this reveal would be roughly the same amount of time earlier than the HGSS reveal was in Gen IV. Also, I don't see why Game Freak wouldn't want to quickly make a RSE remake to bring in some money and keep the games 'current'.

Personally, I feel that the games will be on the DS, although I'd prefer Hoenn to be in shiny, detailed polygons etc. Even though they didn't have to build a whole new game engine for Gen V, I can't see them using it for only 2 games.

Gen II only lasted 3 years as well. Just because the Hoenn and Sinnoh generations went the longest at 4 years each doesn't mean the previous ones did.

Gen V was destined to be a short and rushed generation simply because it came out at the tail-end of the DS's lifespan, and was the second generation of games on the same platform, as DP were the first DS generation.

How rushed the anime is also proves that they know this gen is ending soon. To be honest, Gen V almost feels like, "filler" to me, since they're just getting it over with quickly for a 3DS generation.

Demelza

Eevee Tamer
Staff member
"Junichi Masuda has confirmed that Shigeki Morimoto, Game Freak's game designer and programmer, will appear on Pokémon Smash (Jan 6 episode)." From Bulbanewsnow

So, we can be about 99% sure we're in for a game announcement or a new Pokémon now, and revealing something huge through Pokémon Smash is normally the best way of doing things. Quite excited now. ^^

I'm thinking we are going to be seeing a new Pokemon, pretty sure I saw somewhere that hinted at a new Eeveelution so I'm thinking Generation 6 could be a possibility

Demelza

Eevee Tamer
Staff member
Joshawott said:
I'm thinking we are going to be seeing a new Pokemon, pretty sure I saw somewhere that hinted at a new Eeveelution so I'm thinking Generation 6 could be a possibility

Aye, and that would fit with the Eevee short before the Genesect movie.

Psycho Monkey

Member of the Literary Elite Four
Linkachu said:
Calling it now:

PokePark 3. What else could it be? 8)

I'd rather have Pokemon Stadium 3 myself or at least something similar. Of course I would be ecstatic if it was a Hoenn based game.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Psycho Monkey said:
Linkachu said:
Calling it now:

PokePark 3. What else could it be? 8)

I'd rather have Pokemon Stadium 3 myself or at least something similar. Of course I would be ecstatic if it was a Hoenn based game.
You know I was joking, right? XD

Like the majority I'm also assuming that it's a new Pokemon or new main series game announcement, but I'll laugh if it's another spin-off title (although a new 3D battler on Wii U would be cool too).

LoN said:
Joshawott said:
...I saw somewhere that hinted at a new Eeveelution

*facepalm*

Lets just make EVERYTHING an eeveelution and be done with it already.

5 Eeveelutions was enough, but if I remember rightly it was some Pokemon product that had the letters in the colours of each the Eeveelutions and there was a purple one at the end. Which was speculated to be poison, ghost or dragon.

Joshawott said:

I believe this is what you are referring to:
ho7Eh.png
Each character from the title refers to a specific eeveelution, with the red one representing Flareon, for instance. There is a grey character at the end with stars that doesn't fit any eeveelution.

However, I believe it's a shiny Eevee, as it shares that silver colouration. Also, the character has stars/sparkles similar to when a shiny enters a battle.
eevee.png

Toastie said:
Joshawott said:

ho7Eh.png
Each character from the title refers to a specific eeveelution, with the red one representing Flareon, for instance. There is a grey character at the end with stars that doesn't fit any eeveelution.

However, I believe it's a shiny Eevee, as it shares that silver colouration. Also, the character has stars/sparkles similar to when a shiny enters a battle.
eevee.png

I remember seeing that picture too and hearing the speculation about a new Eeveelution, but I don't think so. I think the order in that picture goes: Flareon, Jolteon, Vaporeon, Eevee, a bowtie, Umbreon, Glaceon, Leafeon, Espeon.

I don't think it's going to be sixth generation news, but I'd love to be proven wrong. I'm preparing myself to be underwhelmed by whatever they reveal which is probably the wrong attitude but oh well.

Like i've said to many other people before, i personally do not see a gen 3 remake coming. i feel the main reason they remade gens 1 and 2 was to give us a way to transfer the original pokemon (RBY GSC) to the newer games, as when they were only on the original gameboys, we obviously had no way of transferring them to newer games

Invader Virgil said:
Toastie said:
Joshawott said:

ho7Eh.png

eevee.png

I remember seeing that picture too and hearing the speculation about a new Eeveelution, but I don't think so. I think the order in that picture goes: Flareon, Jolteon, Vaporeon, Eevee, a bowtie, Umbreon, Glaceon, Leafeon, Espeon.

Except that it can't be referring to Espeon, as it does not share its colouration. I know that the bow isn't actually a character, but that doesn't mean that it can't refer to Espeon.

michael95 said:
i feel the main reason they remade gens 1 and 2 was to give us a way to transfer the original pokemon (RBY GSC) to the newer games, as when they were only on the original gameboys, we obviously had no way of transferring them to newer games

Game Freak could've made Gen I and II Pokemon transferable to the GBA if they'd liked, but they didn't. I think the remakes were made primarily to keep those regions and their characters in the public eye - for example, not many people would've known who
the Kanto or Johto gym leaders were in B2W2
without the remakes. Also, of course, it's a way of making a lot of money without having to design a whole new region or new Pokemon.

Ah, didn't rightly consider that. Guess it did help out a lot with the PWT. Even so, I truly see something along the lines of another stadium game coming, if not maybe some sort of shadows of new pokemon? Ah well, I just can't wait for the 8th to come already :D

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
Toastie said:
Also, of course, it's a way of making a lot of money without having to design a whole new region or new Pokemon.
Basically, this. The Pokémon franchise is very fond of its' patterns - two main series games, then an updated third version, then remakes of a game two generations before. B2W2 were perhaps the first break from this formula we've seen in a while. The reasoning is simple: It's a pattern that is profitable and works. B2W2's break from the formula was, in all probability, an attempt to see if direct sequels would make more money. The situation it launched in makes it difficult for a layperson to judge the success of that, mind you.

As for what's happening on January 8th: I'n not sure I'd bet on getting news of Generation VI this early in the year, but I have been wrong before. It's more likely to be a spin-off of some description or a Wii U battler, if it is even something to do with the games at all. I personally hope for something new and unique, personally, but that's primarily because I don't own a Wii U, but do own a 3DS. ;)

Either way, the 8th will be an interesting day.

While I doubt this will be something really big like Generation VI, I wouldn't be surprised if this were a new Pokemon for said games, or maybe R/S/E remakes.

I was speaking to Demelza on the matter some time earlier, and she made a good point...they're rather running out of things to do with Ash in the anime, once the ark for N is done, they really dont have anything else to do, so they might start speaking of gen 6, just to be able to do something new for the anime

michael95 said:
I was speaking to Demelza on the matter some time earlier, and she made a good point...they're rather running out of things to do with Ash in the anime, once the ark for N is done, they really dont have anything else to do, so they might start speaking of gen 6, just to be able to do something new for the anime

They aren't going to plan out the release schedule of the games based on the anime. Besides, they could easily add another filler season. Perhaps one where Ash travels to Hoenn (If there are R/S/E remakes)?

Demelza

Eevee Tamer
Staff member
Toastie said:
michael95 said:

They aren't going to plan out the release schedule of the games based on the anime. Besides, they could easily add another filler season. Perhaps one where Ash travels to Hoenn (If there are R/S/E remakes)?

My point moreso had been we'll get main series games (remakes or otherwise), sometime soon as they can't do anything with spin-offs where the anime comes into things. The anime has always kinda worked as an advert for the games and Ash probably could get sent to Hoenn again if they did remakes, so really it's just a question of what'll happen. Either way they can likely drag the anime on for a little while yet with what they've got, so it isn't a huge point yet.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Dem is right about that one. They don't base game releases on the Anime series, but they do base the Anime series on the game releases. Even the insertion of filler arcs is due to making up time between main series game releases. It'll be interesting to see where they take the show once this N related arc is wrapped up.

Demelza said:
Toastie said:
michael95 said:

My point moreso had been we'll get main series games (remakes or otherwise), sometime soon as they can't do anything with spin-offs where the anime comes into things. The anime has always kinda worked as an advert for the games and Ash probably could get sent to Hoenn again if they did remakes, so really it's just a question of what'll happen. Either way they can likely drag the anime on for a little while yet with what they've got, so it isn't a huge point yet.

Ah yes, I see what you mean. The N arc does seem to be intended to wrap up the Unova series, so that should mean a new main series game.

I think it would be cool if it followed Ash challenging gym leaders from previous regions in the PWT. However, they've already had the PWT in the anime, so it seems unlikely.