• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Best Pokemon Remake

what pokemon remake do you think was the best?
me? soul silver was the best pokemon remake. fire red and leaf green were not as good

I'll say Heart Gold and Soul Silver, that series was bound to be remade, Fire Red and Leaf Green I love the remakes so very very much, but it was still much too short like the original games. Still find myself starting a new file after reaching a certain point in the game while I STILL have my HG/SS game file running and still things to do other than just facing Elite 4 and Red.

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
HG/SS were indeed vastly superior to FR/LG as far as gameplay and remake quality goes - especially considering they actually added some elements and filled up various holes that were made due to time constraints in (THE STILL FUCKING REDUNDANT INSULT TO) Kanto. Still. With all the fixes they made they could have at least fixed the broken damn level issues that were Johto's biggest malady.

... Also whoever came up with the Voltorb Flip shit needs to die in a fire. Along with the big-wigs in Nintendo who applied it. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan of the original Game Corners, but... Well, you could at least buy the damn coins in bulk. The way they handled Voltorb Flip is bullshit. And Mr. Game is a creepy douche.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Too bad we don't have more remakes to compare, because the answer is rather one-sided. As nice as FR/LG were, they were totally dwarfed by HG/SS. Simply the fact that the Pokemon could walk with you and the PokeWalker accompanied the games made them much more intriguing and worthy of a purchase. It was something brand new to the series and, as of now, unique to those games.

But even beyond those additions... FR/LG felt like a tribute to me, while HG/SS fixed G/S. Most of the additions in HG/SS were simply to flesh the region out more, something it had desperately needed since their original release. For people like me who hadn't enjoyed G/S much, HG/SS kinda saved them. If that doesn't win them the best remake award, nothing will. :X

HGSS. It just added so much in terms of gameplay features, music remixes added storylines and graphics. Particularly the Bell Tower Garden ♥

Most people here sseem to think that HGSS was the best remake. I say otherwise. For people like me who were to young to get Red or Blue, FireRed and LeafGreen felt like a new region even though it was in fact the first. I did manage to get a copy of crystal, so thats probably why I don't like my SoulSilver so much.

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
"I did manage to get a copy of crystal, so thats probably why I don't like my SoulSilver so much."

Sorry, but that has eff-all to do with anything. Crystal was the first PokeMon game I legally owned (though obviously not the first I've played) and even with its additions it didn't fix Gold/Silver the way HG/SS did - they are incredibly superior. I do appreciate the fact that the remakes kept some of the Crystal modifications around, though. They made G/S a bit less meh.

Personally I didn't get the "felt like a new region" feeling at all. FR/LG Kanto was very true to the original, with prettier graphics and less holes in the coding, but it still felt like the original Kanto. Complete with its short length and general meh-ness. XP

Although yeah. It's a matter of personal perspective. XD

LeafGreen is super nostalgic for me. My only Pokemon games previous to it were Ruby and Silver. So it WAS a whole new region. That's the reason GameFreak remade those two games--so later members of the Pokemon world, in the GBA era, would be able to experience Blue, Red, Silver, and Gold.

I think SoulSilver was amazing, but LeafGreen is also great.

Honorable mention to Emerald for making Ruby and Sapphire that much better.

The worst remake? Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Explorers of Sky--added little if nothing to the originals.

I'm going to have to agree with Stel and Katie here. Technically the first game I ever owned was Yellow and overall, I really didn't like it and I didn't finish it. Silver is what really put my love of Pokemon into overdrive. Kanto felt like a "new region" for me as well in FireRed and LeafGreen, but HeartGold and SoulSilver were far better remakes. Like Katie said, HGSS tried to fix the problems Gold and Silver had. Johto was fleshed out a little bit more with the additions of the Safari Zone and the Pokethalon Dome in addition to enhancing the things that made Johto so beautiful in the first place (the music, the Asian influences). And GOODNESS knows HGSS did wonders for Gen II Kanto. They didn't maim it as much this time and for that I'm extremely grateful. Granted I was disappointed when I heard Kanto would be included, but at least it was a joy to play though this time. It felt more new to me than FrLg Kanto did. The use of ambient sound and the walking Pokemon also went a long way to make HGSS so awesome. Like Stel said, the fact that they didn't fix the leveling issues present in the originals was a let down, but hey. That's the ONLY thing makes me prefer Platinum because HGSS is awesome in nearly every other way.

And if we're going by nostalgia, HGSS wins again in my case. I think I nearly cried when I heard some of the music and don't get me started about how much win parading around in a Team Rocket uniform was (silly rival for blowing your cover).

Ok, here we go.
Fire red/ Leaf green:
All in all, decent. They had okay graphics, and it was a nice story to play through. However, I find myself starting over a lot, I guess to try for a new gameplay experience. So, it was okay, but not that great.
HG/SS:
Wonderful squeee-ness! This, as said, was meant to be made. The graphics and sounds were amazing! I liked all the new features and tidbits.

HG/SS > Fr/Lg