• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Best Pokemon Nicknames???

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do you choose nicknames for your Pokemon?

I used to not nickname my Pokemon because I was just plain lazy. I don't know when I started to, but even though I find it extremely difficult sometimes, I try to have fun with it.

I started using variations off of Pokemon's original Japanese names (or the whole Japanese name all together, i.e. Achamo/Torchic). And to be honest, that's just one small step above laziness. When the Japanese names became too similar or just strange (Laplace/Lapras and Mooland/Stoutland), I opted for word associations (Lillipup >>> Dog >>> Hound >>> Baskerville).

And then, I got this baby Larvitar in a Wonder Trade named Obellanix. Say, what!? I'm not even sure how to pronounce that but it looks cool. I'm so curious as to what thought processes occur while naming Pokemon.

I'm still not really satisfied with my nicknames. I'm trying all sorts of different naming methods. (Except, I will never name Pokemon regular person names.)

Care to share yours???

voidaquariums

Formerly Luxray901
I named my Eeveelutions creatively, but pretty much everything else was name-based (eg. Snivy: Ivy)
Eevee: Everstone
Vaporeon: Cloudy/Ocean
Flareon: Puff
Jolteon: Sparky
Espeon: Rosellen
Umbreon: Genesis
Leafeon: Forrest
Glaceon: Frost
Sylveon: Pixi

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
That's a good question, actually. Let's see.

When I seriously name teams I tend to pick names that I find relevant to the species and to one of the following:
  • Mythology - Usually try to avoid the obvious mythological names (You wouldn't catch me with Zeuses and Poseidons and Areses) and go for ones that are slightly more obscure. Examples include Dian Mu (Electabuzz, named after a Chinese goddess of lightning), Aranyani (Meganium, named after a Hindu woodland goddess) and Zorya (Volcarona, named after the Slavic Morning Star goddess). Sometimes however I do use more common names, such as Orpheus (Exploud) or Callisto (Ursaring).

• Biology - Usually the genus or species name of an animal/plant that has something to do with the Pokémon at hand - not necessarily the species the Pokémon was based on. Examples include Synalpheus (Clawitzer, named after a genus of Pistol Shrimp), Xenesthis (Galvantula, named one of my favorite Tarantula species, Xenesthis immanis) and Lavandula (Shiny Female Jellicent, named after the genus Lavandula, commonly known as Lavender. Yup. Just the color. Lavandula sounded more ominous and fitting for a deep-dwelling terror.)

• Foreign Language Words - When they sound appropriately name-like and fitting. This includes both individual words - such as Kidachi (Breloom, after a Japanese word meaning 'wooden sword'), Volare (Tropius, after the Italian word meaning 'to fly') and Rephaim (Golurk, named after a Hebrew term for wraiths or ghosts, as well as after a supposed biblical race of giants) - or sometimes fusions of words, such as Leta'Esh (Charizard, a portmanteau of Hebrew Leta'ah - lizard - and Esh - fire) or Zephram (Manectric, an modified version of a fusion between Hebrew Ze'ev - wolf - and Ra'am - thunder.)
That isn't, however, always the case. Sometimes I name Pokémon names that mean something specifically to me (For example, a Seviper I caught while playing Emerald on a plane was given the name L. Jackson, for obvious reasons), or refer to other media franchises (usually in a roundabout way - I've once named a Crawdaunt Tartarus because it is often referred to as a ruffian/brutish, which in my mind followed into the Jiralhanae, the 'Brutes' of the Covenant in the Halo franchise, and their gravity-hammer toting chieftain in Halo 2, Tartarus. Coincidentally, Crabhammer). Quite often (usually for HM slaves and species I catch but don't really intend to train) I end up naming things incredibly silly shit.

Every once in a while I create a team with themed names - picking a theme like musical references or Metroid references or names of cyborgs and androids (on a run of Emerald that I'm playing on my phone, which, as you guessed, is an Android phone). Themed-name teams are fairly rare for me, though.

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
I like having themes for my names, usually characters in some franchise or another but usually varied in nature. I've named teams after units of measurement (Joule the Mienshao shall forever be my favorite of these), stars, constellations, music terms, authors I like, minerals and crystals, stuff like that. Most of my less serious runs, though, I name my Pokemon after people I know, either with a Pokemon commonly associated with them or an otherwise favorite Pokemon (or just a Pokemon I thought fit them in general).

That's a good question, actually. Let's see.

When I seriously name teams I tend to pick names that I find relevant to the species and to one of the following:
  • Mythology - Usually try to avoid the obvious mythological names (You wouldn't catch me with Zeuses and Poseidons and Areses) and go for ones that are slightly more obscure. Examples include Dian Mu (Electabuzz, named after a Chinese goddess of lightning), Aranyani (Meganium, named after a Hindu woodland goddess) and Zorya (Volcarona, named after the Slavic Morning Star goddess). Sometimes however I do use more common names, such as Orpheus (Exploud) or Callisto (Ursaring).

• Biology - Usually the genus or species name of an animal/plant that has something to do with the Pokémon at hand - not necessarily the species the Pokémon was based on. Examples include Synalpheus (Clawitzer, named after a genus of Pistol Shrimp), Xenesthis (Galvantula, named one of my favorite Tarantula species, Xenesthis immanis) and Lavandula (Shiny Female Jellicent, named after the genus Lavandula, commonly known as Lavender. Yup. Just the color. Lavandula sounded more ominous and fitting for a deep-dwelling terror.)

• Foreign Language Words - When they sound appropriately name-like and fitting. This includes both individual words - such as Kidachi (Breloom, after a Japanese word meaning 'wooden sword'), Volare (Tropius, after the Italian word meaning 'to fly') and Rephaim (Golurk, named after a Hebrew term for wraiths or ghosts, as well as after a supposed biblical race of giants) - or sometimes fusions of words, such as Leta'Esh (Charizard, a portmanteau of Hebrew Leta'ah - lizard - and Esh - fire) or Zephram (Manectric, an modified version of a fusion between Hebrew Ze'ev - wolf - and Ra'am - thunder.)
That isn't, however, always the case. Sometimes I name Pokémon names that mean something specifically to me (For example, a Seviper I caught while playing Emerald on a plane was given the name L. Jackson, for obvious reasons), or refer to other media franchises (usually in a roundabout way - I've once named a Crawdaunt Tartarus because it is often referred to as a ruffian/brutish, which in my mind followed into the Jiralhanae, the 'Brutes' of the Covenant in the Halo franchise, and their gravity-hammer toting chieftain in Halo 2, Tartarus. Coincidentally, Crabhammer). Quite often (usually for HM slaves and species I catch but don't really intend to train) I end up naming things incredibly silly shit.

Every once in a while I create a team with themed names - picking a theme like musical references or Metroid references or names of cyborgs and androids (on a run of Emerald that I'm playing on my phone, which, as you guessed, is an Android phone). Themed-name teams are fairly rare for me, though.

I love the "genus/species" idea! I got Pokemon White, finally, and I ended up naming my Snivy Orpheodrys after green snakes. Totally fits him. Thanks for sharing :D

I usually go for outlandish, almost hipster-esque human names. For example, on one Fire Red nuzlocke I did, my Charizard was named Bismarck (which is actually a name). It just sounds powerful and brutish, adequate descriptions of Charizard. The names I pick are often from other cultures or languages, or cool-sounding surnames. Some of my better nicknames include Chabal (Exploud), Aurelian (Kingdra), Kerber (Butterfree) and Draxler (Salamence).

I don't take nicknaming very seriously.
I named my Sableye Diabolical and my lickytoungue BurgerKing
BurgerKing is an awesome nickname! I actually went through a phase where I named some of my Pokemon an adjective with an inanimate object at random. (Wingull>>>WindyKite and Skitty>>>PaperRose). That phase didn't last long though >_< Totally forgot about that...

I don't take nicknaming very seriously.
I named my Sableye Diabolical and my lickytoungue BurgerKing

Me too! For example, I named by Oddish "Blueberry" and then I really like my little Blueberry and it evolved into a Vileplume. Or I named a Ditto "Mystique" (X-Men reference) But whenever I fought with Vileplume I'd say go "Brave Blueberry!"

Attachments

• Blueberry.JPG
    Blueberry.JPG
    72.5 KB · Views: 264
So random, but I was talking to my cousin the other day and he told me about Pokemon he would get in Wonder Trade. He said he once received a Charmander named "GayRights". Haha! It's off topic but if you want to share names of traded Pokemon, go ahead!

So random, but I was talking to my cousin the other day and he told me about Pokemon he would get in Wonder Trade. He said he once received a Charmander named "GayRights". Haha! It's off topic but if you want to share names of traded Pokemon, go ahead!
Haha, Charmander is spreading GayRights around. A fiery activist. :D The weirdest Pokemon name I got from a trade was a Pikachu named Jigglypuff. It was so funny.

Never really got into nicknaming my Pokemon.. But I once trained an Absol and affectionately named him Loner. He was a beast. Then I caught a Pelliper and named him Pellipy lol that thing let me down many times but I kept him on my team as the official HM slave.

I like to nickname my Pokemon a character's name from a movie, etc. I also like to name them names from a different language. My latest:
You know Warriors, the book series by Erin Hunter? I kind of named my Pokemon the same way she would do with the cats (SoulSilver):
Slowbro: Slowstream
Noctowl: Nightriver
Piloswine: Frostfall
Ninetails: Flamegaze
Ampharos: Stormcloud
Umbreon: Shadowfur
I'm going to attempt naming my Pokemon words in Japanese in Platinum soon.

Last edited:
Named My Sammurott Riptide. Roughly translates into ancient Greek as Anaklusmos (I hope i spelled that right:?) Anyways, that was the name of the sword that Percy Jackson used in the books by Rick Riordan. Since Sammurott uses a sword and is a water type I thought it was fitting.;)
Also once I was trading for a Charmander After rummaging through all those idiots who thought everybody had LVL 1 Zekroms and Reshirams Just LYING AROUND:@ I found one named FIREHEART:) That was literally how it was put I trained it into a Charizard
and ever since then the name stuck so every time I had a charizard in pokemon I'd always name It Fireheart. Y'know minus the smiley face.

Rinoa Heartilly

Mother of Meltans
My shiny Starmie is named Shuriken, Arceus is Ivanova and Cubone is Solita.
I have others but those main three names are favourites of mine.

...I may or may not have named a Dunsparce after the great Bimmy.

I either end up mashing up random words until I get something that I like, or just choose names or words that go along with a theme that I like at the moment. I like StellarWind's method of nicknaming, though. It has some damn good results!

NocturnalNetwork

Formerly LatiasMusic
A good name I found was Nix, for my female Absol. Nix is a Greek goddess of night, so it worked for a Dark type. Another was Champion for my Machoke that is also female. First, Machoke looks like a wrestler, it has even a belt :3 Plus, she had beaten the Champion Steven 3 times.

Last edited:

FalChromiforme

Formerly Aurora Beam
I always name my starter general or king, because he leads the team. Generally I use themes. Two of my favorite are military (general, marshal, captain, etc) and nobility (king, prince, count, baron, etc)
Examples:
Military:
Sceptile-General
exploud-lieutenant
crobat-seargent
espeon-captain
Nidoking: corporal
Sandslash: private
Nobility:
Nidoking: Baron
Espeon: Count
Diancie: Duke
Greninja: Prince
Blastoise: King
Sandslash: Marquis

I started to nickname my pokemon with parts of my name in each one for an example my Noivern's nickname is WetheNoise as well as my Pinsir's is called Sirgo in my opinion I find it very creative I call them WePokes.

A few other names:
Sceptile: Ralph. It just seems good for a Sceptile.
Nidoqueen: Nidette. Inspired by my own Nidoqueen, Nidette.
Seedot: Nico. Still think it's a good name.
Glaceon: If it's a female, Elsa. Male, Odin.

I usually just base my nicknames off of references, whether they be to pop-culture (like my Squirtle named Leonardo from TMNT), or to my own stuff. But, I sometimes just name them random things, dependent on what they look like, act like, or are. My favorite nickname that I've come up with, though, is name for my Cyndaquil, Michael. I named it Michael because it's final evolution is Typhlosion (named partially from an explosion), and I thought of Michael Bay when I thought of explosions.

Sometimes I choose random studd for nicknames, sometimes I base it off of real people. Like my team for OR, I have a Swampert names Sparky and a Ninetales named Laila(It's not a wedlocke, but i'm still going to pair them).

I always name my starter general or king, because he leads the team. Generally I use themes. Two of my favorite are military (general, marshal, captain, etc) and nobility (king, prince, count, baron, etc)
Examples:
Military:
Sceptile-General
exploud-lieutenant
crobat-seargent
espeon-captain
Nidoking: corporal
Sandslash: private
Nobility:
Nidoking: Baron
Espeon: Count
Diancie: Duke
Greninja: Prince
Blastoise: King
Sandslash: Marquis
Wow! I really like this idea! Especially for the starters :up:

NocturnalNetwork

Formerly LatiasMusic
I've started playing OR and Pokémon Y, and I've got some good nicknames, but the one I liked the most was Alba, for my Altaria. Alba refers to the color white, by what I know, and Altaria is mostly white, so it fitted well.

Status
Not open for further replies.