• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Best Pokemon Hunt

Which of the following pokemon hunts was the best?

• Safari Zone (Kanto)

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Bug Contest (Johto)

Votes: 7 43.8%
  • Safari Zone (Hoenn)

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Great Marsh (Sinnoh)

Votes: 1 6.3%

• Total voters
I've always been partial to the Kanto Safari Zone, mainly because it has such a wide variety of pokemon to see. But I would have to say that the Johto Bug Contest is my favorite. Probably because Silver Version was the first pokemon game I ever got.

I Absolutely loved the Bug Contest in Silver (First Pokemon game I actually owned) The proud moment for me was finding a Shiny Scyther haha, Oh boy that made my day. It seemed like Scythers were almost Instant wins with that contest, however I did get beaten by a Caterpie once when I caught a Scyther, that was very strange.

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
I loved the bug catching contest too, but my favourite would have to be the Kanto Safari Zone. I've never hated something on a game so much in my life, but because of that I loved the challenge. I spent ages looking for a catching Kangaskhan. That pokemon eluded me for weeks. I'd see one and she'd run, again and again and again. But now when I look back it makes me smile at how annoyed I got, and I did love the challenge - it made it slightly more real in my opinion.

So I'm saying Kanto. The Marsh was ok, the bits where you get stuck annoy me, but other than that it was sort of fun. I can't even remember the Hoenn one...

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
Oh yeah! I remember it now... It was quite fun actually, the Pokeblock aspect was interesting.
I'd have to say, now that I've remembered, that my order of liking would be;
Kanto Safari Zone
Hoenn Safari Zone
Bug Contest
Great Marsh

It's gotta be Hoenn, particularly Emerald, for me. I was so happy about being able to catch Mareep and Houndour for the first time since G/S/C. That alone puts it above every other region. And I liked putting the Pokeblocks in the Pokeblock holder. I don't know what was going on with the Kanto Safari Zone. I still have never caught a Tauros.

By far the bug catching contest, because there was a competitive element to it.

I also never went into the great marsh outside of what was required for the main storyline

The safari zone was decent ^_^ But annoying at times (Getting surf)

By far the bug catching contest, because there was a competitive element to it.

Thats what put it #1 for me

[quote author=Erin link=topic=4365.msg60320#msg60320 date=1211237061]
The safari zone was decent ^_^ But annoying at times (Getting surf)
[/quote]

I agree, surf was annoying to get for me since I was to stupid to google the directions. I probably spent hours looking for that HM. :p

Well, I haven't played the Johto games, so I can't speak for them, but the Safari Zone was fun. I found myself wandering around for hours, looking for certain Pokemon, and I caught a lot more in the meantime! Getting Surf I didn't find very annoying, I saw it as a challenge, but hey, each to his/her own opinion.

I loved the bug contest, mostly because it was just tons of fun for me, and I love the fact that it's a competition, not just getting a certain number of steps to catch Pokemon. I also really liked bug Pokemon back then for some awkward reason.

I think I liked the Bug Catching Contest. Mostly because you could go into the park when ever you wanted, even though there were different Pokemon there. G/S/C was the only gen that let you do it.

Prizes go to The original Safari Zone in Kanto. Never could find the Tauros, but meh, catching Dragonairs was just as good. Heh, getting one of the most Powerful Pokemon to get and train up some more with a nice movepool. The choice of Pokemon was also quite nice. Great choices of Pokemon. Too bad some were harder to find and catch than others.