• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Best Mario Game

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Hn. It's a toss-up between Super Mario RPG and Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time to me. I'm not horribly fond of the platformers.

... I almost feel like replaying one of those now...

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
What is the best mario game in your opinion

Next time, please expand on your own post with your opening comments. Posting a one-liner topic opener just comes off as... lazy =/

Anyways, it really depends on which gaming genre we're talking about. Mario is such a varied franchise now that I really can't pick one favourite. I can pick a few, though.

As far as the platformers go, Yoshi's Island is probably my favourite. I love SMB 3 and Super Mario World, but Yoshi's Island just felt like a more refined game all-around. The levels are nicely designed (open and offering lots of exploring), it has a nice percentage completion system for each level (giving you a reason to replay them for that 100% score), hidden stuff to seek out, little bonus games... and lots of Yoshi. I love Yoshi. But even without the Yoshi element, the game was excellent.

Then we have the racers... I do love my Mario Karts. Mario Kart 64 is probably my original favourite, but at the moment Mario Kart Wii is the one I play the most. Using the wheel is just really fun, and I like the new trick system.

Lastly, the RPGs. I adore Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time, Super Mario RPG, AND Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door. They're all played slightly differently, but each share a similar Mario flair and humor. They're just awesome games even outside the Mario franchise. The Thousand-Year Door, in particular, was gorgeous to look at, too.

I've never been a huge fan of the 3D Mario games, but I'd stick Galaxy at the top of my list for the astronomy elements and the interesting controls. I'm also not a big fan of NSMB - found it far too easy and nothing standout-ish from one world to the next. I'm hoping the Wii version leaves a bigger impact.

I haven't played all the Mario games, but I've played my share. Super Mario World is my absolute favorite Mario game of all time--this game I have on both the Super NES and for the GBA. I adored Yoshi's Island on both the Super NES and the DS. Although in the latter case, I wish they'd have made better use of the touchscreen.

Super Mario Kart (Super NES and N64) deserve an honorable mention because I had a lot of fun playing them. I hope to own Mario Kart Wii soon as well because it looks amazing. And I'm sure I'm getting blasted for this, but I liked Super Mario 2 XD Yes, I know all about it being a redesign from a different game entirely but I still found it cool. AND PEACH AND TOADSTOOL WERE PLAYABLE!

I bought Paper Mario as a virtual console on the Wii, and while I haven't finished it, I find it a really beautiful game. Hurr, I think I covered everything. XD

Okay Linkachu I'll keep that in mind when I start new topics. But for favorite platformer I'll go with Supermario world for the SNES. For Racers I like Mario cart 64. I never played any of the RPGs or 3-D games. And Iike Mario Parties 2-4

Super Mario 64... I miss that game. I understand I have it for the DS now but it's just not the same D:

Of the Mario games I have right now.... I dunno. Probably still Super Mario 64 DS.

EDIT: No wait, I saw Xatu's post, and it sparked my memory. Best current Mario game of mine is Super Paper Mario for the Wii

I was never a huge fan of the platformer, but I absolutely love both the Mario and Luigi series and the Paper Mario Series. Out of those I would have to say that Thousand Year Door is the best, but they are all amazing. What sets those games apart for me is their sense of humor. Any game that can make me laugh, I will enjoy.

Rex

Resident Furry
If Smash Bros. Brawl counts then I'd say it. If not, then a tie between Super Mario Sunshine and Luigi's Mansion.

If Smash Bros. Brawl counts then I'd say it.
I don't think SSBB counts, considering there are only 4 playable Mario Bros. Characters in it.

I rarely Play any Mario games, but I have two in my opinion:

Mario Kart 64: Cousin and I play it at his hose. AS lot of fun, though my cousin beats the crap out of me.

Super Mario Sunshine: First time Mario uses a weapon other than fire balls, plus Petey Pirrana is my second favorite boss, first being Bowser (haven't got to him yet).

My favorite Mario game has to be "Mario Kart: Double Dash!!"
Out of all the Mario games I've played (which is quite alot) The Kart games are the most fun. Everyone I know whose played any of the Mario Kart games has liked it. Hell, my dad's almost forty, and he still plays Mario!

In other words, I like Double Dash with it being my favorite Kart game (I've played all of them) and fave Mario game overall.

I always liked Super Mario 64 the best. Mario Kart 64, Mario Kart DD and Mario Kart DS gave me hours of enjoyment. Another game that sticks out in my mind is Paper Mario and the Thousand Year Door. That game rocked!

Well ,for me I personally enjoy playing Super Mario World but my dad bought me a copy of Super Mario All Stars (a combination of Super Mario 1 ,2 ,and 3) and I fell in love with it ,but Super Mario World has a special place in my heart ,that being the first Mario game I ever played.

I'm a big fan of Super Mario World, it was a lot of fun and I still go back and play it to this day. Yoshi's Island was a really good one too, one of my favorites to be sure.

As far as RPGs, I loved Super Mario RPG and Paper Mario (both 1 and 2, not a big fan of Super Paper Mario though)

I also liked Mario 64, not the remake for the DS, but the original was a good game.

Mario Kart DS is by far my favorite of the Mario Kart series, though I remember playing the Mario Kart on the SNES with my brother growing up, so that's got a special place in my heart.

I don't think I'm forgetting any, I refuse to play NSMB because it was just meh, it made me feel nostalgic and didn't feed my need for classic Mario. I will forever love the SNES Mario games the best.