• A reminder: If you want to ask an RP thread creator if you can join their RP, do so in private - via conversation or profile messages - or via the thread's discussion thread, if one exists. Do NOT ask if you can join an RP on the RP thread itself! This leads to a lot of unnecessary OOC chatter and that's not what the RP boards are for.

This is clearly stated in our RP forum rules. If you've not read them yet, do so BEFORE posting anything in the RP forums. They may be found here (for Pokémon Role Play) or here (for General Role Play). Remember that the Global Rules of Pokécharms also apply in addition to these rule sets.
  • Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Private/Closed Be The Best... Nothing Less Is Acceptable

"Gabriel! Gabriel, downstairs at once! Your mother and I have something to discuss with you!"

The teenager inhaled sharply, and descended the stairs. For what reason they wanted his attention, he did not know... Since finishing school at age ten, Gabriel had been desperate to go out on his very own journey, like all of the other kids, but his parents had not allowed him that privilege. He'd spent the last six years being home-schooled, so that he would one day, take over his father's ranch, but all he wanted was to be a trainer...

Gabriel was surprised to find that when he got downstairs, his parents, for once, didn't seem angry with him. Instead, his mother was stood by the door, with a pokeball in her hand. A pokeball, and not the luxury ball that she used for her Delcatty, or one of the many ultra balls that his father used on his many miltank.

"You're going to become a trainer," Mother announced, "And we've got a starter pokemon for you."

A starter? So it was finally happening. He was finally getting to go on a journey. He was finally getting a shot at his dream...

He took the pokeball from her hand, unsure of what to say.

"Open it. Your starter is inside."

Gabriel tentatively pressed the button on the front. This was the day that he had always dreamed of. The day that he was finally getting to go out on his journey, and yet, as he waited for the pokemon to materialise in front of him, he found that instead of being overjoyed, he was terrified. What if the pokemon that they picked for him was intentionally bad, so that they could laugh in his face when his dreams were inevitably crushed, at the hands of a trainer with better pokemon? He had to wonder...

The flash of red light from the sphere formed into a fat, candle-like shape. It was a litwick.

"Do you know why we've chosen this pokemon for you?"

Gabriel was dragged out of his brief admiration period for the little pokemon almost instantly. "No, father."

"We are allowing you to become a trainer on one condition," the man replied, "You either come home a champion, or you don't come home at all."

Gabriel stilled at those words. Don't come home at all. So he was being thrown out...

"Litwick can drain your soul, and use it to power the flame on its head," Gabriel's mother added, "But it can become a powerful pokemon, if used effectively. You will either become Unova's next champion, or you will die. These are our terms, for letting you become a trainer. Do you accept them?"

Gabriel swallowed at her words, beaming the tiny pokemon back into its ball. Be the best, or die trying... Or stay here, and be pushed into being his father's replacement... It was a no-brainer. If Gabriel died out there, he would at least die a free man.

"Yes, mother," Gabriel said quietly, "I'll be off now."

Gabriel went upstairs to pack his rucksack, stashing the pokeball safely away in his bag. He took a last look at his room, knowing that he might never see it again, before he zipped downstairs and out the door. Striaton City was to be his first destination, so, he decided to start walking there...

Gabriel stopped for a second, surprised by the outcry of a nearby girl. How she knew his name, when they had never met before, he did not know, but it wasn't like that detail mattered. He had to get to Striaton City, and fast...

"Striation City," the boy answered curtly, "That's where I have to go to get my first gym badge, right?"

(A word of warning: One liners are not allowed on this site. It's in the rules. I don't want Stellarwind to shut this thread down)

Gabriel's parents weren't ones to yell, especially when they were angry with him. All that it took to verbally beat him into submission was a cold glare, most of the time, or the smug looks that they gave him when he disobeyed their orders, and ended up sick or hurt. The fact that they had given him a pokemon that could potentially kill him as his starter was proof enough that they truly didn't care for his well-being, as long as they got what they wanted. But it didn't matter. He was a trainer now. He could write his own destiny.

"Right. It'll be me and Litwick vs the gym," the boy said gruffly, "If it doesn't kill me before we even get there."

The Snom Prince

Previously The Exorciser
(I'll keep that in mind)

Luna rolled her eyes "It be best to take an older sibling with you just to be okay" Luna suggested as her Shiny raltz looked up a Gabriel giving him a curious turn of his head

"Older sibling, you say?" Gabriel began, "So... Are you an experienced trainer? Can you... Can you help me?"

If he really wanted to become the champion, then he ought to take any help that he could get. The boy knew that if this girl truly was a trainer, then that meant that she was also his rival... But once he'd gotten what he needed from her, he could surpass her, and take the top spot of the Unova League...

He glanced down at the ralts, noting its unusual colouring. She had to be an experienced trainer, if she had a shiny pokemon... No-one just gave out rare shinies for starters, did they?

The Snom Prince

Previously The Exorciser
Luna chuckled "Sure kid we need to be in the same place so I don't see why not comon then", Luna said as she started walking towards the train station

"Right," the boy answered quietly, following her.

He got his new pokemon's pokeball out of his bag, examining it carefully as he debated whether or not to let Litwick out yet. The dangerous little pokemon didn't seem to harbour ay ill-intent towards him, as of yet... But he didn't want to risk getting of on the wrong foot with it, when he hadn't even gotten his first badge yet...

The Snom Prince

Previously The Exorciser
"What Pokemon is that kid" Luna asked of course since he was clearly a beginner she wasn't really expecting something incredibly extravagant

"Hm?" the girl's voice dragged him out of his stupor, and he stashed the pokeball back in his pocket, "It's my Litwick. I just got him, or her, today..."

Now that he thought more about it, the little ghost type was actually kinda cute, disregarding the fact that it was a dangerous creature which used the souls of human beings to power its flame. Come to think of it, its flame wasn't actually very big. It mustn't have absorbed very many souls, so it had to be friendly, for its species... Either that, or it was young.

Last edited:

The Snom Prince

Previously The Exorciser
"Ah litwicks a little bit ridicules but all the same interesting fire and ghost Pokemon and don't be scared of it if that lowers its confidence it'll drain more power and more of your soul putting you both in trouble" Luna said knowing didn't choose a litwick for there team for that reason

"That's fair," Gabriel conceded. If Litwick knew that he was somewhat frightened of it, it would kill him in a heartbeat. It wouldn't want to work with him, if he got scared every time he opened its pokeball, would it?

He would have to confront it eventually, wouldn't he? He'd have to bond with it outside of battle, if he wanted it to trust him, and possibly even like him... But how would he do that, when wrong move could potentially kill him, with a pokemon like that?

The Snom Prince

Previously The Exorciser
Luna put an arm out to stop the kid as they arrived at the train station "By the way kid you forgot to ask me my name" Luna said giving him a mocking look

"Then tell me your name," Gabriel said coolly, "I don't need to tell you mine, since you seem to already know it."

Come to think of bonding with his pokemon... What pokemon should he pick for his team? Gabriel had never thought much about what kind of pokemon he really wanted, but if he had to either become the best, or die, then... Maybe catching a mareep was a good idea. He could get it at its final stage, and then mega evolve it. And he needed a bulky wall, too, so maybe happiny would also be a good choice? He really didn't know...

The Snom Prince

Previously The Exorciser
"The names Luna kid but seriously though be happy I'm not someone who would manipulate a kid be more careful in the future Gabriel" Luna said as she scuffed his hair

"I didn't think that you were planning to manipulate me, Luna," the boy scoffed as he hurried to fix his hair. Come to think of it, he should, perhaps, be happy. He was finally getting to do what he wanted, after all... But he'd been given a pokemon who could potentially kill him, and he had been told that if he couldn't become the champion, then he wasn't to come home...

The Snom Prince

Previously The Exorciser
Luna just let out a laugh as she went towards the train "your cute kid like a pichu to dumb for the world" Luna joked seriously this kid needed an attitude adjustment... she wasn't gonna give it though

"I-I'm not dumb!" the boy insisted, "Just sheltered. That's all..."

Most of the time, Gabriel wasn't even allowed to leave the house on his own, despite his age. But then again, up until today, he hadn't been forcibly kicked out and told that he wasn't allowed back unless he became the very best as what he did... Or died.

The train shunted forward, and a few more people hurried to fill the seats. Another trainer came by with a chandelure, and she fed it poffins as it happily floated around her... Would he ever get to be like that with his Litwick?

The Snom Prince

Previously The Exorciser
Luna put Shaz on the front seat in front of her and threw him an Oran berry "maybe you should bring the litwick out so we stop calling the poor thing it and see if it's a she or a he" Luna suggested

"I don't know how to sex Litwick, since they aren't sexually dimorphic..." Gabriel replied, "And besides, I don't know anything about it. It might not like crowds, and it might try to kill everybody on this train if it gets scared... And I at least want to live to get my first gym badge!"

The Snom Prince

Previously The Exorciser
Luna put her feet up so Shaz could lie on them " ask it if it would like to be called she or he or just it no need to be scared" Luna said as she put her arms behind her head to relax

"I'm less worried about my own fear of it, and more worried about the fact that if it feels threatened on this train, it's going to kill us all," Gabriel said calmly, "So, for both my own, and for Litwick's safety, I think that it's best that we wait until we get to Striaton City."

In his hurry to leave the house, Gabriel hadn't thought to grab any treats to butter up his dangerous new partner... Perhaps that could be fixed when they arrived, though. Bags of poffins were quite cheap, around these parts, and Litwick would surely appreciate one... Unless it preferred pokeblock, or pokebeans? Or pokepuffs?

The Snom Prince

Previously The Exorciser
Luna turned her head to Shaz giving him another Oran Luna's phone then rang she only looked at the screen before growling and shoving it back into her bag

Gabriel sat quietly in his seat as the train moved, eyeing his partner's pokeball. It was all fine and good, if his partner liked him, but what if it turned out to be useless in battle? He'd never become the champion if it couldn't hit hard, or be bulky, or even be a team cleric. Homelessness was a guarantee, unless this thing was good in battle...

The Snom Prince

Previously The Exorciser
" stop that look kid if a rival see's doubt they have an advantage" Luna said looking for a distraction and entertainment in Gabriel's anger at least that's what she expected

"Well, I did just start out as a trainer," the boy reminded her, "And up until now, I've been told that all I'll ever be good for is herding miltank. Even now that my parents have let me do what I want, I'm technically being punished for it. If I don't become the champion, they don't ever want me home again. I'll have nowhere to go, and no way to..."

The boy trailed off, unsure if he should tell her about his asthma or not. His parents' insurance had covered all of the care he had needed for the condition, up until now, but if he failed at his goal and became homeless, then he would have no way to pay for the potentially life saving inhalers he had to have. Eventually, he'd have an asthma attack and die, and nobody would care...

He hid his head in his hands, tearing up as the gravity of his situation began to hit him.

Last edited:

The Snom Prince

Previously The Exorciser
Luna hugged Gabriel for a few seconds before bringing his face up to hers and said "kid despite your attitude I'll help all I can" Luna said trying to stop his tears

The boy averted his eyes from Luna's gaze, taking a moment to collect himself, before speaking again. Well, now, he wasn't completely alone with a dangerous pokemon. She was willing to hang around with him, at least... And if the worst came to the worst, then maybe... She could offer him a place to stay. She did say that she was willing to help, after all...

"O-ok," he sniffled.

The Snom Prince

Previously The Exorciser
Luna smiled before returning to her original position and chuckled "what do you know Luna your not being a bitch" she thought as Shaz crawled over to Gabriel

Gabriel wiped his eyes with his sleeve, lest anyone nearby see the state that he was in. Stress could trigger attacks, so he thought that perhaps, he ought to try and calm himself, somehow.

He checked his bag for his inhaler, relieved to find it there. He took a quick breath on it, just as a precautionary measure.

(Gotta blast)

The Snom Prince

Previously The Exorciser
Luna looked and saw the inhaler noting his asthma as something important. Shaz looked up at Gabriel wondering what the inhaler was "Ral?" He asked

Upon noticing the ralts' gaze, Gabriel hurried to stash the inhaler back in his bag, lest the creature catch wind of his condition. Afraid of being deemed weak, the boy didn't want to let anyone know of his condition, unless he needed to let them know...

"It was nothing," he assured the pokemon, sitting back up in his seat as the train pulled into the station.

The Snom Prince

Previously The Exorciser
Shaz stared at the boy ultimately deciding he'd tell them in his own time and went back into his Pokeball "are we gonna go to the gym first or train cause I'd recommend you get at least 1 more Pokemon before your first gym" Luna suggested knowing the triplets and their preferred types

Gabriel begrudgingly agreed to her words, knowing that if he wanted to catch more pokemon, he would have to use the one that he had. He had to build a team with a range of different types, if he really wanted to be the best... And get to go home when his journey was over.

"I think we should train first," Gabriel finally said, glancing down at Litwick's pokeball, "I'm sure that this little guy, or girl, would like to come out soon."

The Snom Prince

Previously The Exorciser
"Cool let's try the dreamyard maybe you can catch a psychic there," Luna said mostly wanting to go there to see why Petunia had been calling her now of all times

"Maybe," the boy said quietly, grabbing his bag as everyone started to file out of the train. The way into Striaton City was crowded, primarily with trainers and coordinators. Some were clearly new trainers, with just snivies, or other pokemon that had yet to evolve, and some had pokemon in their final stage, and seemed to have travelled a lot to take on the league here...

Gabriel got his bag and hurried off of the train, deciding that perhaps, he ought to get himself some pokeballs before he went there.

The Snom Prince

Previously The Exorciser
"Okay kid if you got anywhere to be go I'll meet you at the dreamyard" Luna said as she walked towards the dreamyard taking out her phone it went to voicemail and she said "alright I'm coming Flower girl"

Gabriel hurried to the pokemon centre, deciding to pick up several ultra balls, and a quick ball, before heading to the dreamyard.

Upon arrival at the dilapidated building, the boy inhaled sharply, and tossed his Litwick's pokeball into the air. He had no choice but to meet it now...

Gabriel braced himself as the creature materialised in front of him, making amends with Arceus, Dialga, and Palkia before he heard the little candle pokemon's cry, whch dragged him out of his fear induced stupor.

"Lit... Litwick?"

Gabriel opened his eyes. Litwick stood innocently before him, flame burning brightly atop its head.

"H-hello, Litwick," Gabriel began, "I'm... I'm Gabriel, and I'm your trainer..."

The Snom Prince

Previously The Exorciser
"Yoooooooooo Luna" Said Petunia as she hugged Luna as a serperior and Simipour followed behind "enough hugs Flower what did you need" Luna asked