• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

XY/ORAS Singles Battle of Hoenn

Psycho Monkey

Member of the Literary Elite Four
I'm pretty sure VGC15 is the right prefix for the Battle of Hoenn competition anyway. If it's straight Gen VI Singles I can change it. Anyway, here's what I'm going for:

Mega Swampert @Swampertite
Ability: Swift Swim
Nature: Adamant
EVs: HP4, Att252, Spe252
-Waterfall
-Earthquake
-Rock Slide
-Ice Punch

Mega Swampert is my physical sweeper. Waterfall and Earthquake are for STAB, Ice Punch for coverage against slower Grass-types and Dragons since the competition is 3-on-3. Rock Slide is also for coverage.

Manectric@Damp Rock
Ability: Lightning Rod
Nature: Timid
EVs: HP4, SpA252, Spe252
-Rain Dance
-Thunder
-Volt Switch
-Heck if I know

Manectric is my planned lead. Start off with Rain Dance to set up for Swampert then either Volt Switch to him or if the opponent is something Manectric can handle perfect accuracy Thunder. As for the fourth slot I'm not entirely sure what move to use. I was thinking Hidden Power Ice for any Ground-types, but that would be redundant since I'll also have Swampert's Ice Punch.

Flygon@Yache Berry
Ability: Levitate
Nature: Timid
EVs: HP4, SpA252, Spe252
-Dragon Pulse
-Earth Power
-Flamethrower
-Bug Buzz

My special sweeper. Dragon Pulse and Earth Power are for STAB and the rest are for coverage. The Yache Berry is to survive any Ice moves from faster foes.

Breloom@Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
Nature: Jolly
EVs: HP248, Att8, Spe252
-Substitute
-Leech Seed
-Focus Punch
-Seed Bomb

Typical stalling Breloom set although I replaced Toxic with Seed Bomb since, again, it's 3-on-3, I want coverage where I can get it.

Mega Metagross@Metagrossite
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: HP252, Att252, SpD4
-Meteor Mash
-Zen Headbutt
-Hammer Arm
-Body Slam

Back up Physical sweeper if I chose not to use Mega Swampert. Body Slam is for Paralysis.

Slacking@Leftovers
Ability: Tuant
EVs: HP248, Att252, SpD8
-Body Slam
-Shadow Claw
-Gunk Shot
-Flail/Slack Off

Slaking is mainly to catch an opponent off guard since they're rarely used in the metagame. Body Slam is for STAB and to paralyze since I'll only be attacking every other turn. Shadow Claw is for Ghost-types, Gunk Shot for coverage and poison, and lastly either Flail or Slack Off. If Slaking gets too low on HP I can really lay on the pain with Flail but on the other hand Slack Off can restore that lost HP. I only hesitate on it because that'll make three turns I do no damage.

Anyway, that's my team. What do you guys think?

Psycho Monkey

Member of the Literary Elite Four
According to Showdown the format Battle for Hoenn is 3-on-3 Singles which is what I was building my team on. Is it safe to assume I should change the topic category to Gen VI Singles then?

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Yes definitely, since VGC is doubles-only and your movesets would have to be completely different for that.

3vs3 singles is hyper-offense all the way for the most part with heavy emphasis on making sure your lead beats the opponent's, as losing that early advantage in 3vs3 will likely lose you the entire battle. MegaGross is probably a strong leading 'Mon to choose, although I'd drop Body Slam as MegaGross's speed removes any real need for paralysis support and the move's power is lacking.

Slaking is and forever will be one of the most worthless Pokemon in the game due to how completely screwed he is by Substitute, among other reasons (allowing stuff to switch in/setup on him for free.) I'd advise something else if you want something unexpected - and there's a lot to choose from if you wish to go that route. On the very expected side, Latios is a strong 3vs3 contender due to the immediate pressure he provides with his offense.

I think generally, you want to focus a bit more on offense (speedy offense especially) with this team. For that reason I'd be tempted to suggest Mega Manectric over Mega Swampert, but either one could work.