• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

XY/ORAS Singles Battle Frontier Super Singles

Hello. I seem to suck at the Super Single Battles at the Battle Frontier in Alpha Sapphire. I'm using a good sandstorm team including Tyranitar, Metagross, and Swampert, but I lost on the first round, sad to say. I would like to know how to train a perfect team fit for the Battle Mansion, and what Pokemon would be fit for that kind of thing. Thank you.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Due to the requirements of Super Singles (making a team that can win a ton of consecutive matches) and the momentum-based nature of it you need a team that can apply instant and immediate pressure right off the bat, leads out with something that isn't beaten by much while also providing a very good switch-in to deal with whatever does beat your lead.

The best leads I'd say to start out with are the kinds of things that can immediately murder whatever the opponent brings out while not being easily beaten by much in return. Mega Salamence is the best thing that comes to mind right off the bat due to Aerilate Return instakilling a lot of things and 'Mence's bulk letting it set up Dragon Dance right away for an immediate sweep against stuff it can't instakill but can't do much back to 'Mence in return. Substitute can be a good move to have on-hand as well if status effects become a problem.

From there you only really need one Pokemon as a switch-in for the lead in case you end up facing something that'll stomp the crap out of Salamence (most bulky Steel-types will have this covered) and a third Pokemon who effectively serves as clean-up duty to finish off the opponent if Salamence eventually bites the dust, so a fast sweeper works well in the final slot of the team.

Long story short: Offensively powerful lead beaten by very little, perfect switch-in to take out anything that does beat it and a fast, reliable sweeper to clean up the enemy team if the lead and his team-mate aren't enough to get the job done themselves.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Aggron may have an issue with certain Water-types carrying Ice-type moves to kill Salamence and then kill Aggron and then Blaziken wouldn't help you much either, but you have the right idea as Aggron resists every type Salamence is weak to and has bulk enough to tank a hit. I'd say experiment with different combinations of team-mates for your lead and see what works best, but at the very least you know exactly what kinds of Pokemon you're going to be looking for.