• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.
Now, I am new to competitive play and I kind of want to be a little casual and fun about this rather than serious, but I can adapt fairly well to all of this (since it helps watching people like PIMPNITE, but he is in another league altogether and most likely has been doing it for at least a decade).

In terms of a team, I know Tapu Koko is a practical must-have to the team due to its Electric Surge that can help Alolan Raichu set up its Speed. My problem is figuring out the rest of the team, but I'll compose the team I can think of to the best of my ability (barring Event Pokemon except for that Shiny Tapu Koko I got from ages ago if I do happen to replicate this team on my USUM).

Alo-Raichu @ Choice Band
Adamant (+Atk, -Sp.Atk)
Surge Surfer
252 Atk/252 Spd/4 HP

- Volt Switch
- Brick Break
- Return
- Knock Off

Yes, this is a Physical set, even though Alo-Raichu can do a Special set better, I want to be fun with this one. XD Brick Break and Knock Off are to attack Alo-Raichu's Dark and Ghost weaknesses, while Return is to get some very high damage and Knock Off has the added bonus of getting rid of the opponent's item (if it's not a Mega Stone or a Z-Crystal). Now, you see Volt Switch and I could have gone for Volt Tackle or some other physical Electric-Type attack. But, if I am up against an unfavorable match-up (not against a Ground-Type of course, but something that probably would knock out Alo-Raichu immediately), I would use this to rack up at least a little bit of damage (especially since Alo-Raichu's base Sp. Atk is still pretty good, if not mediocre).

Tapu Koko @ Air Balloon
Jolly (+Spd, -Sp.Atk)
Electric Surge
252 HP/252 Spd/4 Atk

- Nature's Madness
- Quick Attack
- Screech/Toxic
- Defog

Now, the Air Balloon is to protect Tapu Koko from Ground-Type attacks on the first turn, especially if I am up against a Snorlax or an equally bulky Pokemon that has access to Earthquake or another Ground-Type attack (Magnitude if they want to be gimmicky about it). Quick Attack is to finish something off, Nature's Madness is to get very bulky Pokemon down to a bit of health that one of my other Pokemon can manage, Defog is to stop entry hazards and set up, and Toxic to badly poison and whittle down my opponent's health or Screech to lower the defenses of the Pokemon (most people wouldn't expect a physical Alo-Raichu set anyway, so the swap into my Alo-Raichu may confuse them quite a large bit before they realize it's too late).

Now, this is where it gets tricky with other Pokemon to use.

Shiinotic @ Absorb Bulb
Calm (+Sp.Def, -Atk)
Effect Spore(?)/Rain Dish
252 Sp.Def/120 Sp.Atk/138 HP

- Strength Sap
- Spore
- Dream Eater
- Leech Seed

Strength Sap is a counter to physical sweepers, Spore is to make them unable to do anything for a bit, Dream Eater for some extra damage, and Leech Seed for some extra recovery. I don't exactly have a clue about which Ability to use, but since my team isn't geared towards any weather, then Rain Dish might be a better option if I'm up against a Rain Dance team. Effect Spore may or may not destroy what I'm doing.

Mudsdale @ Leftovers
Impish (+Def, -Sp.Atk)
Stamina
252 HP/252 Def/4 Atk

- Heavy Slam
- Iron Defense
- Toxic/Counter(Possibly?)
- Return/Counter(Possibly?)

Now, this Mudsdale is my physical wall. Heavy Slam to deal some heavy damage to anyone not as heavy as 2,000 pounds, Iron Defense and Stamina to increase my Defenses even more, Return to do some more damage to Pokemon that may resist Heavy Slam, Toxic to get rid of stally Pokemon, and possibly Counter instead of either Toxic or Return, but most Pokemon who use moves against Ground-Types are Special users anyway. This is mainly to get rid of any physical sweepers if Shiinotic fails.

Wobbuffet @ Safety Goggles/Focus Sash
Sassy (+Sp.Def, -Spd)
Shadow Tag
252 HP/129 Def/129 Sp.Def

- Destiny Bond/Encore
- Safeguard
- Mirror Coat
- Counter

Wobbuffet is my lovely salt of the world. If I can intuitively figure out what the moves being used next are, I can use Safeguard to protect me from status ailments, Mirror Coat and Counter to catch people with their own damage output, and either Destiny Bond if I know I'm going to be knocked out, or use Encore to really rile up the opponent and switch into a Pokemon that is more dangerous and have a fun time setting up for a turn or more. If I'm really afraid someone is going to knock out Wobbuffet, I can have the Focus Sash, but normally, I want to protect Wobbuffet from weather damage mainly.

Houndoom @ Houndoominite
Modest (+Sp. Atk, - Atk)
Flash Fire -> Solar Power
252 Sp. Atk/252 Spd/4 HP(I guess)

- Flamethrower
- Dark Pulse
- Nasty Plot
- Hidden Power Grass/Solar Beam

Now, I was pretty strapped here for what to use for my special sweeper. Mega Houndoom gets Solar Power, but I didn't include any Sunny Day users on my team (that may have to get fixed... Maybe my Mudsdale gets Sunny Day to get rid of something else). Because of this, I had to opt for Hidden Power Grass, since I couldn't hold a Power Herb or have the sun to my advantage for the Solar Beam. If I could, I would have it. Nasty Plot is to raise my Special Attack while my Dark Pulse and Flamethrower did STAB.

If it needs revamping, please help. XD It's pretty bad, but not that bad for the first competitive team I have made (of course, definitely not for Ubers or OU, just a competitive team to beat people with).

pluveon

Previously DreamyVictini
This is an overall good team, but I say you should switch Shiinotic out for Vileplume, if you can. Vileplume is overall better, and can also counter T-Spikes. For a move set, I would recommend:
|Strength Sap (Egg move with Shiinotic as parent)
|Sludge Bomb (TM)
|Giga Drain (Move tutor)
|Sleep Powder (Not as reliable as Spore, but it can still come in handy. Gloom learns it at level 34)
Oh, and if you have Chlorophyll, you have one more reason to set up sun.
Might return to this later when I have more ideas.

Ahh thank you for replying and suggesting. :) I might do that, plus I see that Vileplume is generally more bulky.

Due to a sudden need for Sunny Day, I may switch out the suggested Vileplume's Sleep Powder for Sunny Day or get rid of one of my Pokemon for a Drought Ninetales or Desolate Land Primal Groudon, and then switch out Tapu Koko's Quick Attack for Sky Drop, as I realized I dont have a reliable counter for Fighting-Types besides walling them.

I also realize that I have a lot of physical coverage and sweeping Pokemon, but hardly any special coverage or sweeping Pokemon on my team. I may change Alo-Raichu into a Special Sweeper if that is the case, especially since that is how Alo-Raichu is supposed to be played. Then I can switch out that Screech for either Toxic or Quick Attack on my Tapu Koko, or leave it as is since there are other physically able Pokemon on my team....

pluveon

Previously DreamyVictini
...Alright, I have some more suggestions!
First of all, Wobbuffet is not very useful, since people would most likely just use status moves. So you can replace it with Ninetails. (Not PDon, since, well, Desolate Land goes away when it switches out. :p)
Secondly, you can switch out Koko for Florges. Florges has very good bulk, has arguably the best type in the game, and is a good support mon. Also half of your team isn't weak to Ground anymore. For move set:
|Moonblast (Floette learns it at level 46. If you don't want to wait that long, you can teach it Dazzling Gleam by TM.)
|Heal Bell (Move tutor) (This might also fix the Wobbuffet problem.)
|Defog (Move tutor)
|Toxic (TM)
Also, I just checked, and both Vileplume's and Florges' movesets are the same as Smogon's recommended move sets! I have a natural talent! :D

Problem is that I want Alo-Raichu to be a Special Sweeper (I'll be slapping a Choice item on it that raises Sp. Atk). I need Tapu Koko's Electric Surge or have another Pokemon use Electric Terrain. That way opposing Pokemon wont Rest and it increases my speed and power.

Problem is that I want Alo-Raichu to be a Special Sweeper (I'll be slapping a Choice item on it that raises Sp. Atk). I need Tapu Koko's Electric Surge or have another Pokemon use Electric Terrain. That way opposing Pokemon wont Rest and it increases my speed and power.

So then put choice specs on Alo-Raichu. Also put leftovers or lum berry one Wobbuffett because there is no way you can possibly on shot a that tank.

Last edited:
Okay, revamping my team now. When I made the original post for the team, I made it within 2 hours late at night. XD So this should be a bit better rather than me living on sleep deprivation.

Alo-Raichu @ Choice Specs
Modest (+Sp. Atk, -Atk)
Surge Surfer
252 Sp. Atk/252 Spd/4 HP

- Volt Switch
- Psychic
- Hidden Power Ice
- Signal Beam

Tapu Koko @ Air Balloon
Jolly (+Spd, -Sp.Atk)
Electric Surge
252 HP/252 Spd/4 Atk

- Nature's Madness
- Screech
- Toxic/Sky Drop
- Defog

Vileplume @ Black Sludge
Modest (+Sp. Atk, -Atk)
Chlorophyll
252 HP/252 Sp. Atk/4 Sp. Def

- Strength Sap
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain
- Sleep Powder

Wobbuffet @ Leftovers
Sassy (+Sp.Def, -Spd)
Shadow Tag
252 HP/129 Def/129 Sp.Def

- Destiny Bond/Encore
- Safeguard
- Mirror Coat
- Counter

Houndoom @ Houndoominite
Modest (+Sp. Atk, -Atk)
Flash Fire -> Solar Power
252 Sp. Atk/252 Spd/4 HP(I guess)

- Flamethrower
- Dark Pulse
- Nasty Plot
- Solar Beam

Mudsdale @ Leftovers
Impish (+Def, -Sp.Atk)
Stamina
252 HP/252 Def/4 Atk

- Heavy Slam
- Iron Defense
- Toxic
- Return

OR

Ninetales @ Life Orb
Timid (+Spd, -Atk)
Drought
252 HP/252 Spd/4 Sp. Def

- Confuse Ray/Hypnosis
- Solar Beam
- Overheat
- Pain Split/Nasty Plot

@Merciless Medic: It's best when using moves that drain, (Like Drain Punch and Strength Sap), to invest more into your defenses instead of your HP, so you get more draining value. It's not that big of a deal, but I wanted to point that out.
Example:
Pokemon with 300 HP one shots a pokemon with 600 HP using drain punch, you get 100% of your HP back. but if you have 400 HP, it gives back 75% of your HP.

Also, I think your team would work well with a flying type, but that's just my opnion.