• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Back for Trainer Cards?

*Moved from Trainer Card Maker 4 Trainer Sprite Submissions*

I just wanted to say this but has anyone thought of making a universal back card for the trainer cards. All cards have 2 sides wynaut make the back of these awesome looking cards. I've wanted to print one ever since I first logged in and I don't want the back being blank.

Last edited by a moderator:

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
An interesting idea, and not one without major technical challenges to overcome. What precisely would you want to be put on the back, in terms of information, layout or what's on there, for instance?

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I'm not entirely sure what Supertom 100 was going for with this suggestion and was hoping that they'd reply again, but I am very intrigued by the concept of having card backs if it's ever technologically possible. Off the top of my head, I'd personally suggest details like this:

Generalized info:
- Your Nature
- Your Characteristic
- Trainer Type (Breeder, Ace Trainer, etc.)
- Your Type (Fire, Dragon/Flying, etc.)
- Favourite Pokemon
- First Pokemon Game
and/or
- Pokemon Player Since: (Insert Year/Month here)

(Aka. Very similar to info you'd find in our Charms profiles)

Game Centric Info:
- Version of Game
- Playtime
- PokeDex Seen/Caught Totals
- Battle Chateau Rank (When applicable)
- Best Battle Tower/Subway/Maison Streak (You'd need to allow for users to set if it was a Singles/Doubles/Super Singles/Super Doubles/Multi-Battle/etc. streak)

Yeeeah, I have no idea how any of this would work. Just tossing out ideas. XD;;

Personally, I think this idea is sweet. It could work like this:

Registered users can access a second TCM, known as the "Super Awesome Trainer Card Maker by Wild Jr." (feel free to change the name). Then, they can, as @Linkachu suggested, add in-game stats and stuff, and save it to their profile (no one can view it here, though). The next time you create a Trainer Card, or open up a previous TC, it gives you the option to link a Back to a Front. Then, when the front is viewed, on click or roll-over, it will display the back.

What do you guys think?

Green Dragon

Formerly supertrainer300
Yush. This will be quite cool. However, I think I wouldn't want it to be like @Wild Jr. suggested. Unfortunately, I don't have another idea. Just wanted to say I support the idea!

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
I like the idea of roll-over on a card, and one thing I think people would really like on their would be what's in your friend safari 'mons/type. We don't really have a place in our profile that really says what our friend safari is (though we do have a topic for it), so I think that might be useful in some way or form.

Other things to consider might be extraneous Pokemon not on your team but in the PC (with a limit to like, 10 or something, I dunno, in overworld/menu sprite form or something), pretty much everything/anything @Linkachu suggested, and/or what the card is for (which game, or if it's for an RP, or a fic, or whatever).

@Linkachu had a lot of the general stats people would want covered!

...Registered users can access a second TCM, and save it to their profile... . The next time you create a Trainer Card, or open up a previous TC, it gives you the option to link a Back to a Front. Then, when the front is viewed, on click or roll-over, it will display the back. ...

I like the idea of having people sign up to use the more...shall we say, "premium" side of the TCM. It has the possibility of drawing in new members, though probably at the cost of a bloated inactive user count. The idea to create a stand-alone second card just for stats does allow for people to easily make a standard back to their cards and apply one card to all their others.

Roll-over on the other hand may only be able to happen through turning the images into a combined GIF. I've seen some sites that allow their users to 'create your own GIF!'. Not usually the most well-known websites and sketchy, but as far as I can tell they do the job-- so it's a possible thing to implement using a web page as the medium.

... I think people would really like on their would be what's in your friend safari 'mons/type. We don't really have a place in our profile that really says what our friend safari is. ...extraneous Pokemon not on your team but in the PC (...in overworld/menu sprite form or something), ...(which game, or if it's for an RP, or a fic, or whatever).

Friend Safari is a great idea to go along with what @Linkachu said. I also like the idea of the extra pokemon. Through my Pokemon journey, I had at least my Solid Six, but also a few Pokemon that I swapped out. This would sort of give a nice opportunity to show them off! The idea for more or less labeling the card for it's use is a good one, too.

Aside from hopping on everyone's ideas, I was thinking that with the stats (or perhaps the entire back of the card, for that matter) There could be "designated slots" for stats, and you could just choose (with a limit) how or what is displayed, and possibly where. For example, if you want to show off some extra Pokemon, you can select the stats you want first, then your Extras on the bottom. Think it'll look better on the top? Reset the card, then do the Extras first, then set your stats and fill it in.

Regardless, all this sounds like a lot of work, and we certainly may not know the technical limitations of the TCM/coding in place, nor know Teapot's overall goal or want for the TCM-- but I hope these ideas certainly help with the future of the TCM!

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
It doesn't work without custom CSS, no, which can't be embedded in the image itself - we'd have to provide a massive bit of HTML/CSS that'd never actually work on any other site.

That said, the idea has been noted, and I think I can give you the extra information in a better way...