• A reminder: If you want to ask an RP thread creator if you can join their RP, do so in private - via conversation or profile messages - or via the thread's discussion thread, if one exists. Do NOT ask if you can join an RP on the RP thread itself! This leads to a lot of unnecessary OOC chatter and that's not what the RP boards are for.

This is clearly stated in our RP forum rules. If you've not read them yet, do so BEFORE posting anything in the RP forums. They may be found here (for Pokémon Role Play) or here (for General Role Play). Remember that the Global Rules of Pokécharms also apply in addition to these rule sets.
  • Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Ask to Join Avatar (AU)

Slightly disappointed Shao smiled, "That's fine. Then it's a date then lover, I'll see you tomorrow." she smirked mischievously before leaning into Maru and kissing him on the cheek. "Now to find some FOOD!" she exclaimed and walked away from Maru before he could do anything in response, her exclamation drawing looks and glances from nearly everyone nearby. Maybe Lee got some info about the town and some good eats are. She thought as she made her way back to the caravan.

Fukushimi almost reacted to Hayato’s sudden “attack,” but shrugged it off with an unhappy look on his face. When the airbending girl actually revealed herself as the Avatar, his eyes widened in surprise, and a bit of excitement. That meant his assumption earlier had been correct, but he still couldn’t believe it, not even after she showed them her firebending. It had been 500 years after all. “So you really are the Avatar? Can you do any other bending? Like water or earth?” He asked her, his excitement probably still visible on his face.

Without wasting a second to think on an unexpected kiss on the cheek, Maru sped off toward Hayato's house. He didn't look at anyone or anything but his feet as they strode forward along the path, until he was standing facing the door. He thought to knock but instead swung the door open quick, rushed in, and slammed it shut quick behind him. The young boy wanted to think of Shao, but nothing else was on his mind but escape.

Not entering fast enough to hear the Avatar's statement or Fukushimi's question, Maru almost shouted, "We have to go! The crowd's dispersed but Earth Kingdom agents aren't far behind them. And they know what we're about."

=Nightshade=

Previously Night's Shadow
Xaraia froze. The Avatar? But no one had seen the Avatar for five hundred years! Now they’d finally shown up... in a Fire Nation airbender? Hmm, interesting... She shook her head at Hayato, in a gesture of I don’t need your money. She relaxed, realizing she’d seized up in surprise, and smiled slightly, accepting it without asking questions.

Idly, she swirled some water vapor around her finger, allowing it to gather before freezing it into a single claw and then releasing her hold over it. It dispersed in a burst of tiny snowflakes when Broadsword (because yes, that’s what she’ll be calling Maru now) came onto the scene, gasping for breath. Immediately Xaraia was on the alert. “Dai Li? Oh, boy, we are in for it. I’m good, but I’m no match for an experienced earthbender. You’re right, let’s get the hell out of here before we lead them right to Hayato’s house.”

NDB

Previously BartenderReaper
Ruby shook her head in response to Fukushimi's questions. "I was born a fire bender and only discovered air bending by accident. I don't-" She was cut off when Maru ran through the door. This room was getting a bit crowded. Ruby closed her hand, quickly extinguishing the fire in her hand. She didn't know who the Dai Li were, but judging by the reaction of the others, they should be avoided at all costs. She turned to Hayato's mother and gave her a small bow. "Thank you for your hospitality, ma'am," Ruby said to her. "But we must be going now." She wouldn't be able to live with herself if another family was broken apart because of her. She left the house and stood outside, waiting for the others.

Fukushimi followed the newly revealed Avatar outside, trying to formulate a plan in his mind. “I can stay back and fight them if you want. I’ve gotten some good combat experience fighting soldiers from the Fire Nation, but if there’s more than three of them I seriously doubt my chances.” He suggested, “otherwise I’ll come with you, but you better have a place in mind after we escape, I’ve been wandering aimlessly for the past nine months and helping the Avatar end this war would definitely be something better than continuing to do what I’ve been doing.”

Schrift

Previously Schrift007
"Hayato you were right," she gasped, seeing the ball of fire. But when she heard the Dai lee, joy turned to shock. "All of you have to go, but wait first." she said, giving Hayato a sympathetic stare. She left the hut for a few seconds and came back with a large basket. "This basket carries some rice, it will last you a couple days at most", she was now ushering everyone outside the house onto the street. "Avatar, please look after Hayato, the Dai Lee won't let him live knowing he is a fire bender" she said, closing the door. "So where do we go?" Hayato asked after a while. "How skilled are you at bending other elements, apart from fire?", he asked Ruby.

As they were pushed and shoved from the Hayato household, Maru turned to the overzealous Fukushimi and sighed, "The Dai Li come in units of six or eight, and usually send two or three units to ensure sufficient firepower. I have no idea where they recruit all their agents, but it's...unending."

Maru and his family had run from the Dai LI his whole life. Saw his parents lost to their ruthless efficiency. Even if they hadn't suspected the others of bending, they'd still send as many many after him. Whatever it took, to finish the job.

"We can survive on Hayato's mother's rice and what we find in the forests for some time, but I suggest getting out of the Earth Kingdom for a little while. If we can book passage on a ship or airship. Otherwise, hiding in forests and caves is in our future."

NDB

"What you saw in there," Ruby said, pointing over her shoulder at Hayato's house. "Is all I can do besides fire bend. I haven't tried anything else." Listening to Maru's description of the Dai Li made Ruby pale. They sounded ruthless, almost as much as some of the Fire Nation soldiers that had come through her hometown. Listening to the options they had, Ruby thought for a moment. They couldn't go directly North. They'd be stuck going through the Si Wong Desert. There was no telling what was waiting out there in the harsh desert landscape. There weren't any towns or cities to the East or South. To the West was Chin Village but that town was on top a cliff; they'd be trapped if they were to be chased there. It almost seemed that every option of escape would lead to them either capture or a dangerous situation.

Maru mentioning passage on a ship made her remember how she got Gaoling. "There's a fishing village northwest of here," Ruby said, turning to the group. "It's about a two or three day trip by foot. Once we're there, we could find passage out of the Earth Kingdom. Unless anyone else has any options."

Fukushimi thought for a moment, contemplating his options after hearing what both Mary and Ruby had to say. He could stay and fight, possibly die or get arrested, or he could leave with the Avatar and help her end the war. The choice was obvious to him. “Sounds like a plan, I suggest afterwards we head towards either one of the Water Tribes, probably the North one, they’ll be the most hospitable, especially if the Avatar shows up on their doorstep.” He suggested.

Schrift

Previously Schrift007
"I don't trust water benders, so I don't want to go to the northern water tribe. You said, that what you did back there was all you could do, so why don't we go to the air nomads. We could improve your air bending, and I'm pretty sure the air nomads are peaceful, unlike the water tribe." Hayato offered. "Then we could go to the water tribe after" he quickly added on. "So mister sword man, you got yourself a girlfriend already", a sly smile grew on his face. "If you can do that in a few minutes, I wonder what you do in a day" he laughed. "Best way to annoy someone is to act like a child, actually do you even have one?" he asked

Last edited:
“Riiight, let’s all trust the firebender to cast judgement on the Water Tribes.” Fukushimi said, “I’m sure after all of the destruction your nation has caused mine that they’d just be happy to lock us all up on sight for no reason.” He said sarcastically. He knew the Water Tribes had been one of the most affected nations of the war, especially the South where he’s from, which has been almost completely wiped out, and that they just wanted this war to end.

“Also, don’t forget that the Air Nomads are in this war too. They’ll act all peaceful and I doubt they’ll lock us up, but any one of their strongholds could be attacked at any moment, besides, we don’t even have anything that can fly to get to any of their temples.”

There was a moment Maru wanted to strike the younger firebender, but he let the feeling pass. He didn't often find time for such passing chances at levity. Touching his hand to his cheek, Maru realized what he'd forgotten; Shao wore lipstick.

Before he could protest, the hot-headed Fukushimi jumped down Hayato's throat. Of course the water and fire benders would be at odds. Maru cleared his throat.

"We needn't tear ourselves apart, and doin the job of our enemies. If the Avatar can firebend and airbend, we should help her master those two first." Maru, switching his focus from Fukushimi to Hayato and back, continued speaking, "Wherever we go will be engulfed in war and on the hunt for benders, to draft or kill. The odds wherever we go will be the same. So pick your poison, but at least we can shake the Dai Li...for a little while."

=Nightshade=

Xaraia stayed out of the argument, rolling her eyes in exasperation. “Does it really matter? Our nations may be enemies, but right now we’re all in the same boat: screwed if the Dai Li catch us. So let’s just get moving and figure out where we’re going when there aren’t a bunch of psycho earthbenders on our butts. No offense towards your nation, Broadsword. But let’s get going.” She cast an anxious glance into the town, already imagining she could see the official-looking uniforms of the Dai Li. Waiting once again, she began playing with the water vapor in the air again.

NDB

All this bickering was starting to annoy Ruby. She closed her eyes trying to calm down, but her right eyebrow was twitching with annoyance. “Alright, enough!” Ruby said, stomping her foot on the ground. A ring of flames erupted and quickly dissipated from where her foot landed. “I don’t know where to go after we escape the Earth Kingdom, but I do know, right now, that the best choice is heading northwest. So that’s what I’m going to do.” She looked at the shadows around her and the sun to get a general sense of the West direction and began walking in that direction. “You’re all welcome to tag along if you want.”

That settled it then. With a motion of his hand, Maru begged the rest follow him in following the Avatar. Catching up to Ruby, he said: "I've spent quite some time surviving in the wilds of the Earth Kingdom. I can direct us where we need to go and help find local food to help keep us alive. Bending should still be kept under wraps unless we're under incredible duress."

Fukushimi muttered something under his breath, probably cursing at the fact he was stuck with this firebender he didn’t like now. As childish as it sounded, he didn’t like the guy. He made a note to just generally avoid him as to not cause anymore arguments. He too caught up with the Ruby after Maru, and after a moment of listening he pitched in. “I’ve been here in the Earth Kingdom for a while too, though I haven’t spent nearly as much time camping out in the wild as you probably have.” He said to Maru, “though I’m sure I can still be of some help when it comes to finding food here.”

Schrift

Previously Schrift007
Hayato slung heir supplies on his back. "I'll happily go with the avatar, especially if it means I don't get hunted down by the Dai lee", he hopped forward, walking by her side. "So, I got over four hundred questions, mind answering one of them? What is your name?", Hayato felt dumb, asking such a simple question. "My name means hawk phoenix, so I guess I should be able to fly, but all that fun belongs to the air benders" he mumbled the last part. He turned to Xaraia, "what brings you to the earth kingdom?" he asked.

=Nightshade=

“My parents hid me away so I wouldn’t have to fight in the war as a five year old,” Xaraia said darkly. “By the time I was old enough to know what the hell was going on in the world, the village was lost, destroyed, and my parents were growing old. I swore that I would do whatever it took to end the war that ended the family I never knew.” She turned her head away, but kept walking at the same brisk pace. “I came to Gaoling because I heard it was a refuge. I hoped to find peace with myself. I failed, naturally; I can’t have inner peace until this war is over. Now I finally have a chance to bring my oath to fruition.” She glanced back at Hayato. “What about you? What brought you here?”

Schrift

Previously Schrift007
"I was hidden as a secrete from the world. I worked on the fields, fishing mainly, my brother wasn't so fortunate. When the monthly tax pay came, he was taken. My dad wasn't taken because he only had one arm. I found out I was a bender from a young age and was told not to bend. I did it in secrete, obviously but I never got very far. Well during one of my secrete sessions I set something on fire, that led to a warrant being placed on my head. We had to flee, my mother and I were the only people to make it to Gaoling, my dad was-" he paused biting his lips . "Well my dad he is kind of, well dead. From there I taught myself a skill, a bit more important than fire bending, theft!" he said, before stopping completely. "Guys I have an idea, if we need to go to the water tribe, we could steal a boat!"

"If it's some rich lord's yacht or pirate captain's flagship I will consent," Maru said, "but I will not condone the further punishment of the poor and downtrodden. We need not dig these people further under the world's heel." He paused, continuing to walk a bit further, before adding, "It won't kill us to earn passage honestly, with honest coin or honest work."

Gamingfan

Previously Gamingfan2
"WHAT?!"
In a second, Winston appeared out of nowhere and landed in front of Hayato. "Are you crazy? We can't just steal a boat! That's-" he cut off as he realized that they'd probably have questions over why he just appeared despite being gone since their visit in Hayato's home.
"Erm, I was following you guys at a distance. No reason, just wanted to see what the plan was. But that's not the point." he pointed to Maru "You see? That's a good idea. We can just do this without thievery. Besides, what would they think of the avatar who steals?" he added desperately.
Winston was all for saving the people, bringing peace, all that jazz, but stealing to do so? It was wrong!

( OOC: Very sorry for not existing and the lame excuse for Winston. Writer's Block is a female dog.)

“Get used to it, Airbender, it’ll be something we’re gonna have to do often, there’s not really much we can do to avoid it, especially since we’re a band of teenagers with no real jobs or sources of income. I can probably get us at most two days of supplies with the money I have, but after that it’ll be up to petty thievery and foraging to take care of us.” He explained, “though I do agree with the Earthbender that we should steal from the rich instead of the poor, when it comes to that.”

"Being able to find solid work passing through towns is not difficult. Work on a ranch or farm, or sell what you find and make with your own two hands." Maru shook his head, sighing, "what's more suspicious: a group of such as us, with news of robbery and crime wherever we go? Or just acting as a caravan does, nomadic and thrifty but not worth raising the banners in hunt of. Stealing from the rich seems appealing, but any attention paid to us is bad."

NDB

Ruby continued walking through the city, listening to everyone’s conversation. “Name’s Ruby,” she replied to Hayato’s question. “Don’t know hat other questions you have, don’t know if I could answer them.” She thought about the different options they had for obtaining passage out of the Earth Kingdom. “You know, we could also just stowaway,” she said chuckling slightly. “But no one beside you all know I’m the Avatar. If we have to steal a boat or something, I’m down for it.” Ruby heard a commotion up ahead and dropped down behind some barrels on the street. She motioned does the group to stop before she crept toward the corner of a building. Around the corner, Ruby saw several people is green robes with the Earth Kingdom insignia and matching hats. They were going around and talking to people. “I think we have a small problem,” she muttered. She could barely make out that they were asking about a group of benders.

=Nightshade=

Xaraia followed Ruby’s gaze, then barely suppressed a groan. “Oh, boy. Small? Try monumental. Or at least average-sized.” Shaking her head, she adjusted her hood so its shadow covered her face once again. “Fantastic. We gonna sneak it, or go charging in head on like idiots with a death wish?”

She made it plainly obvious which option she preferred.

“I’d say we could try and just pass off as normal civilIan’s, but they probably know what Firebender here looks like since everyone got a pretty good look at him back in the plaza.” Fukushimi mentioned, speaking in a low, quiet tone as to not draw any unwanted attention. “I agree with the other Waterbender. We should sneak past them.” He whispered, knowing that a face-off would end in probably a good few of them dead, and who knows what they’d do to the survivors.

Taking lead of the group by just a step, Maru pressed his right foot into the ground with extra emphasis, and in a moment felt the curves and turns of the streets of Gaoling. He could tell which buildings were occupied, which were empty and the like.

"Turn left here," he called, pivoting quickly in the direction he'd mentioned, "then head straight for a block. Second left, there's any alley with an entrance to the sewers. If we can get down there I can guarantee our escape."

Shao had been correct in her assumptions that Lee had caught wind of some eateries that were still around. Shao decided to try out a noodle stand and was not disappointed, despite the war, there was still some good places to eat. She thanked the old elderly couple that owned the small stand and paid for her meal, giving them a bit extra as they were good company to talk to, giving a brief history of the city. Shao knew about the history but hearing first-hand accounts from people who actually lived it was always something special.

After her meal she resumed wandering the streets, to both walk off her meal, but at the same time to enjoy the ambiance, though run down, Gaoling still had a sense of pride and nostalgia to it. As she walked through town she noticed that there were indeed Dai Li agents present in the city. They seem to be talking to the locals and searching for something, but more likely it was someone who they were searching for. Fire nation? She thought, then she heard hushed whispers and seeing movement in the shadows nearby and it caught Shao’s attention as well as the whisper sounded familiar. “Maru? Are you already done visiting your friend? I didn’t take you for a guy who likes playing hid-and-go-seek in the dark.” she smiled in the direction of the sounds, slowly able to make out the shapes of the shadows more and more, she noticed that he was not alone, she knew for a fact he was not alone. When she was younger she read about a legendary earth-bender named Toph Beifong in the university's history books and her unique style of bending, she had spent quite some time herself to grasp her concepts of Toph's style of earth-bending though ground vibration senses, it was quite useful for her own style of earth-bending that she was developing at the time.

“I wouldn’t be sneaking around looking so suspicious with the Dai Li around.” She glanced at the Dai Li agents in the distance, then back in Maru's direction, as far as Shao could tell from the shuffling coming from his direction there were at least five others with him.

@EnviousWorm

NDB

Ruby looked at Maru with a frown. She wasn't totally enthusiastic about wandering through sewer systems underneath a rundown city, but if it was the only way to escape, then so be it. Ruby started in that direction when she heard a new voice and looked over. It was a girl that apparently knew Maru. Ruby didn't have time to waste and just ignored her; Maru could deal with her. Ruby followed Maru's directions, going down the street for one block and making a left down the alley. Towards the end of the alley, she spotted the sewer entrance. She struggled a bit but eventually was able to remove the manhole cover. She looked down the whole and the smell of the sewer hit her. Covering her mouth and nose, Ruby looked inside and noticed, thankfully, that there were pathways on either side of the sewer system. Climbing down inside, she swung herself and landed on the one of the pathways. She looked up and waited for the others.

=Nightshade=

Xaraia followed Ruby down into the sewers, allowing herself a disgusted groan when the delightful aroma of rotting materials (because I’m not creative enough to think of what else is in a sewer) and the sound of tiny rat feet skittering across rusted surfaces. Willing to do pretty much anything to get rid of the stench, she pushed all the water vapor carrying the awful smell away from her face as she attempted not to puke, landing smoothly beside the Avatar. “Ugh, this is disgusting. Better than getting caught by the authorities, but still disgusting.”

She had paid little to no attention to the girl who’d arrived earlier; if she’d planned to turn them in, she wouldn’t stop to chat. And she evidently knew Maru—perhaps the source of the lipstick Xaraia hadn’t commented on. With a thoughtful shrug, she cast a longing look up into the fresh air and waited for the others to come down.

Fukushimi followed the group to the sewer, jumping down after both Xaraia and Ruby. The smell hit him almost immediately- the sewage smelt absolutely putrid, and pungent too. "Wow, it smells absolutely rotten in here. Guess that's to be expected." He said, covering his nose with his scarf. Not too long after, he picked up on what Xaraia was doing to keep from smelling it so bad and did the same, sending the water vapor he caught to the other side of the walkways. "Hurry up the rest of you, I'm sure none of us want to spend too long down here." He said, looking up at the rest of the group yet to drop down.

Grateful that the group continued to shuffle on past even as Maru was accosted by a familiar warmth, he tried to hide the panic in his eyes, but they kept darting off in the direction of the Dai Li, who had finished interrogating the man and begun walking in the direction they'd come from. Should those men take a right, they'd be upon Maru and Shao.

From their footsteps he could hear that they chose to take that right, and Maru wanted to shout curses to the spirits. Instead, as the footsteps approached and Shao stopped speaking for a moment, he grabbed her by the waist and kissed her, long enough for the Dai Li to pass but not long enough for Maru himself to get distracted.

"I apologize, Shao," he said, genuine, "for that and a whole lot of other things. But where the Dai Li come in, I go. And the people I'm with...this is important. For the first time I'm running towards a goal not away for my life."

Gamingfan

Previously Gamingfan2
Winston followed the others into the sewer, and tried not to gag. The smell was horrible, although slightly getting better the further Name-caller and Ice-wall pushed it.
Ew. I wish I knew how to airbender this smell out. he though, and then Man I really need to learn their names.
And then a third thought. He did know how!
Winston carefully started moving his hands in a circle, creating a wide air circle around him and the others in the sewer. It wouldn't completely destroy the smell, but it would at least mitigate it so he doesn't have to cover his mouth and nose.
On the topic of names, asking in a sewer whilst running from what's pretty much the fuzz wasn't the most convenient place, though, along with having any sort of casual conversation. As such all he could do was hope the others would hurry so that they could leave. Like, immediately.

Last edited:

Schrift

Previously Schrift007
"I heard that there were cat-gators, in the sewers" Hayato laughed, before dropping into the sewer. His face contorted, from the smell. "I would take the Cat-gator, over the smell" he groaned. He stayed close to Xaraia, before pacing quicker and patting her on the back of the head. " What's the water tribe like?" he attempted to distract her, as he slipped the headpiece into the side of his pouch. It felt smooth and cool, to his touch. He snapped his fingers, it erupted into a massive flame, before shrinking down to the size of a candle flame. "Hey Ruby, would you be able to teach me some fire bending?" he asked, showing an embarrassed smile.

=Nightshade=

Xaraia glared at the boy out of the corner of her eye. She knew she was small, but not small enough to warrant being patted on the head! Indignant, but not stupid, she gave a sardonic eye-roll before realizing something was missing. "I don't know. I lived alone with my parents, apart from the tribe, my whole life." With a sideways glance, she added, "But from what I observed of the village, they didn't steal the belongings of their allies." Wink wink, nudge nudge. Get the message. I know you took it, thieving firebender. I suggest you give it back before I'm forced to clock you upside the head with a club made of sewer algae and ice. In an attempt to drive the message home, she cleared her throat with a pointed look. "Unlike some people."

Shao frowned, disappointed, but more curious. Why is he so afraid of the Dai Li…? Not a bad kisser though…. His companions had shifted and took off towards the sewers. “Well, if it’s important as you say it is, then I feel obligated to help you and your endeavors… besides, I’ve been pretty bored lately and you and your friends seem to attract trouble if the Dai Li are after you, and unfortunately for you, I like trouble. So what’s up?”

@EnviousWorm

"Follow me," Maru said, snatching one of her smaller hands and bringing her along with him to the entrance to the sewer. Looking down, he could hear the splish-splashing of feet. That made him nervous. If it stayed open too long, someone would stop by and notice. Turning back to Shao he said, "walking down through the sewers is the Avatar, two waterbenders, an airbender and a firebender. The Dai Li want me for different reasons, but as a group, well, I think you understand why it's important we get into the sewers right away."

Schrift

Previously Schrift007
"Yeah fire nation life isn't so different, apart from the fact that theft wasn't really an issue since everyone was like a tight-knit family. Also, why do you have so many throwing knives are on you?" He asked. When he saw Shao, a smile contorted on his face. "So you do have a girlfriend! Wow even when we're being hinted, love can still blossom, maybe I'll make a haiku.", the next ten minutes he spent in silence thinking of a haiku. "Love's poison is so sweet, yet its antidote is sour, still so many hearts love" he finished, smiling at the two. "I should be a poet", he laughed.

Gamingfan

Previously Gamingfan2
"Would save a lot of people a hell of a lot of trouble" mumbled Winston, still focused on the wind shield surrounding them, which he weakened and widened to accommodate for the new arrivals. He looked over at Shoa and grinned "Nice to meet you. Name's Winston, local runaway hunted by the earth kingdom, apparently. Welcome to this ragtag group of escaping benders. Take a seat and have a drink, although if you value your health, maybe not."
Winston looked around, keeping track of everyone. "Anyway, if you two are done dating and you two are finished flirting, we should get a move on."

Last edited: