• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

At what point are you going to stop following X and Y news?

This is the first time we're getting a new main series Pokémon game in the same month as Japan. Because of this, one could stop following the X and Y news and not have to worry about it being spoiled after the games are released, because they would be playing them already. So, when will you stop following the X and Y build-up?

Personally, I'm going to keep on following it until the last month or two. If Gen VI is anything like Gen V, we're going to start getting tonnes of information and Pokémon at that point, and as exciting as that is, I'd prefer to experience it for the first time in the game itself.

Demelza

Eevee Tamer
Staff member
Re: At what point are you going to stop following X and Y ne

Well, I don't really have much choice in the matter! :p

That said, even if I wasn't writing news about all this stuff, I think I'd still follow and read every little detail right up the release. While it's fun to start a generation with no idea what you're going into, or which Pokémon you're going to befriend, it also means putting a bit of distance between yourself and your friends who might be following every detail and might want to discuss it. It gets pretty lonely when you can't join in the discussions of it too.

I think the fact the games are being released worldwide within the same month is refreshing anyway, it means that while we should know a lot about them, we by no means will know every little thing like we normally might do, so we can still go into these things quite open minded and not knowing everything to expect. I like how this is working out for that. ^^

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator

Demelza said:
I think the fact the games are being released worldwide within the same month is refreshing anyway, it means that while we should know a lot about them, we by no means will know every little thing like we normally might do, so we can still go into these things quite open minded and not knowing everything to expect. I like how this is working out for that. ^^
Agreed. Although I managed to remain in the dark about quite a few of BW's secrets (like the endgame/E4) for months after launch despite being staff here, I welcome the opportunity to be on an even footing with the Japanese when it comes to starting the games - it'll be nice to only know what's been officially revealed to us and not, say, the entire regional 'Dex.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord

In all honesty, I knew extremely little about B/W2 by the time they came out. I'd paid attention to the initial headline grabbers, but the stream of information that came out towards the end passed me by. It's vaguely the same with B/W, though I wasn't working full time quite yet then, so I had more time to devote to it.

There's been almost no solid stream of info for X/Y since its announcement, so even when I'm a day or two late for it, I can still catch up very easily. It'll be closer to October that I'll lose track entirely. Especially since I'll most likely be playing GTA for the majority of the month beforehand. :p

I don't really care that much about 'spoiling' the game. Aside from the minor plot details, to be honest, I don't think there's that much to spoil. It's a Pokemon game. But I just don't have the time to devote to following every little piece of info about it any more, so one way or another, it'll begin passing me by.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator

I'm somewhat of the same mindset as Doctor Oak but not quite regarding plot details. I'll purposely avoid learning major plot details whenever possible because even if the Pokemon stories are fairly basic, sometimes they surprise you (ie. the twist at the end of Black & White). The less I know about the plots each new game, the better, so once I know the general gist of X&Y's plot (who the new antagonists are and their general goal) I'll not be reading more into it.

I don't consider new gameplay features to be spoilers nor even bother to try avoiding information on all of the new Pokemon. Considering my position on this site it's kinda counterproductive not to know everything about them. :p That being said, I don't go out of my way to remember vital stats for each new Pokemon - their movesets, what levels they evolve at, where you encounter them, etc. - so playing the games is still filled with many surprises. Seeing the picture of a Pokemon is also a very different experience for me than actually encountering it in-game for the first time or training it for myself. That's when I truly feel connected to it. :)

My attitude is similar to Linkachu's-- I try to avoid plot spoilers, but I want to hear about new pokemon and new mechanics so I can plan teams and so on.

I'm never gonna stop. I can't help but look at spoilers, even if I don't want to. If there's information out there and I know it then I have to look at it. But I think if we get a rush of spoilers like a day or two before the release, like somebody leaks the entire Pokedex or something, then I'll probably hold off until I can get the game for myself and play it for a while. So yeah, I'm gonna be following the news right up to the wire, but I'll avoid them probably a few days prior to the release.

I try to avoid plot spoilers but I usually fail hard at that when it comes to Pokemon. It should be easier this time around because, as Dem said, we're getting the same information as Japan at roughly the same time. We likely won't get major plot spoilers so I'll keep following whatever details/morsels/what have you that they give us. I don't care about spoiling stuff like game mechanics or Pokemon movesets and evolution levels. I routinely use online guides for that as I play anyway.

For me it's the little things that make the Pokemon game for me. The music, the NPC quotes, the details in the environment, the hilariously random side quests, etc. I know that was especially the case in BW2 (remember when you had to walk the socialite's Mienfoo?) You really can't spoil things like that.

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator

As far as Pokemon games go, I don't really count anything as /spoilers/ since to me, pretty much every iteration of the game is unique - and seeing how I'm only going to get to play X/Y long after they are released, I'm not going to bother avoiding news or anything.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member

Carmen Lopez said:
remember when you had to walk the socialite's Mienfoo?
I wish I didn't.

Anyway, I'll probably keep following the news up until X/Y's release since I'm too curious in nature to stop myself from caring about it.

I think the fact that we frequent this site makes it pretty hard to avoid spoilers.
Regardless, I'll probably try to avoid knowing too much, mainly because I want to go through attempting to actually complete the Pokedex for once. Not knowing too much will make that quest all the more fun.

From now.
I don't want to hear anything about X/Y from now on. :)
It's enough to know about the first Evolution of the starters, it's enough to know some of the Mega-Evolutions and there are enough new Pokémon I know now. :)
I won't read any news related to Pokémon X/Y from now on :D
I don't want to get more spoilers haha :p