• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Art/Writing Blocks

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
Or music block, or voice acting block... anything you can basically make. Let's lump it into a term called "creativity block". Anyways, kinda want to know how everyone deals with this stupid thing as it can be really bad and crippling at times.

I tend to have blocks about once or twice a year, and they last for a few months at a time. My spriting blocks tend to last shorter than my writing blocks, and I'm not 100% sure why. I kinda just sit around and accept I have a block and don't try to do anything about it, which is probably why they last so long ^^;

However, once I get out of one, I start pumping out content endlessly. Maybe that's why I tire myself out so easily? XD

Psycho Monkey

Member of the Literary Elite Four
I usually get out of my blocks when inspiration strikes and I want to do nothing but write. An alternative method I use comes when I have a completely open day with no other obligations allowing me to force myself to write. Getting the gears moving is slow at first, but once they do I can't bring myself to stop until the project is done. This has resulted in me staying up late at night just to see a project to its end more than once.

Bluefeather

Formerly pokeLPS
Oh my, well, I get blocks most frequently. To get out of writing blocks, I just read one of my favorite books, or a short one I have not read before. I also search good writing skills and try to use them in my writing, which soon gives me an idea. But inspiration is everywhere and all you have to do is keep your eyes open.

For art blocks, I just think about good shows I watch, or what my friend has drawn. Then, I try to draw one of the characters or what my friend had once drawn that I really liked. Again, inspiration is everywhere. Just look.

For my Writing blocks, I tend to have days where I just do nothing but brainstorm. I don't even write anything down, just brainstorm. Though I never get any creativity blocks due to the schedule I have. I tend not to do anything creative for two days and just focus on my social life. That's when I get my Ideas anyways. Though I do have a "Character Block" That is pretty much always in effect except for around 4-8 weeks in the entire year. During those periods, though, I excel in character development. I become obsessed with my character and try to put myself into their mindset for an entire day. I sometimes even try to live like them for a day as well! (Camping excuses, it fun) I have very few characters, but they are always well developed and fleshed out before I attempt to do anything with them. Just based off of my past experiences, I am getting close to my seasonal character creation time. I plan on taking a more relaxed approach this time though just to see the results.

Back on topic, I feel like creative block is a result of over-exerting yourself in your work. Pace yourself, try to not go over set boundaries. Take time to just relax and just think. Or socialize with friends or family. Trust me, I haven't had a real creative block in years now and that's because I pace myself, take time to think, and just spend time with my friends and family.

Hoped that helped @Shiny Lyni

I mostly just draw or write the same thing over and over again, or something related to the same thing, when I've got a block. When ideas strike, I rip out the Google Docs or drawing paper and pretty much say "Let'sdodis!" I tend to draw things like Pokemon though, as it's easy to get creative with that without having to create some random type of dragon randomly and then draw it. That, and there's not as many hands...*Shudder* I utterly SUCK at drawing hands, so I tend to stay away from that. Just do what you feel like doing is what I guess I'm saying.

Writers Block: If I don't think of anything usually, I just write what is on my mind. If I get something from my head, I try to write a synopsis of what I got. If I like the synopsis, I just continue writing.

I also think of things by just doing things. If I find something in real life or on the internet, I may get inspiration from that. I also think about my interests and what I like to write. That is how I thought of so many stories.

Sprite Block: I just brainstorm. I write notes down of what I get. After a while of brainstorming, I have around 5-15 choices to choose from. I choose one and start spriting. Of course, I don't sprite that much. So I don't have the best advice for this one.

With Artist Block or Writers Block, I kind of just do random things, write random short stories and sketches until I know exactly what, and where I want to go with a story, or what my next project should be. Normally for me, i get some of my best ideas when I'm not stuck in one place trying to figure out what to do. I get them when I'm on other projects, and go from there. To be honest I've been through a writing block on one of my stories for a while now only getting out of it, about a week ago.

Sometimes Creative blocks are a way for me, personally, to back off from a project, and let my brain rest. Sometimes just going with the Creative block is the best way to get out of it.

UGGHH. WRITERS BLOCKS. SAVE ME.

So imagine this. You are me. You are taking a break from your main series. You want to write something. YOU CAN'T. This thing called writer's block swoops in and stops you from coming up with any ideas. And it is horrible. Writing, other than video games, is the only thing I really like to do. Putting a creative dam up stops it all. I haven't had any good ideas yet.