• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Armblades Not Included

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why do I have the vague feeling you're making fun of Serebii?
Spoink is so adorable, and such.

And Snivy line is nice.

Lame comments are lame.*Goes back into the shadows*

Hey Stel! Loving the Gen V art~ hope you're well. :D Miss you crazy! And btw, Volcarona is badassssss~ it makes me think of you. I just might name my next one Elsydeon.

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
NyanJoltik.png

NYAN NYAN NYAN NYAN NYAN NYAN NYAN WHAT HAS SCIENCE WROUGHT.

Spiderfusions_wface.png

Also, spidorable hybrids.

I haven't seen any of your work for a while. And yet it is still as awesome as ever.

Though I don't want to know what was crawling around in your mind when you decided to make the voltage arachnid form of Nyancat. Yet it looks so cool now. I wouldn't be surprised to find this on youtube somewhere by the end of the week.

Those hybrids are also cool. It has Voltick and Dentula characteristics mixed in with Spinarak and Aridos characteristics, all melted together and sprinkled with Stel's realistic charm. All in all, very cool. I do hope I can see more of this soon! It's saddening when a great artist goes limbo for over three months D:

Nuju! I had that song out of my head! What sound does a spider make though...

And Pokemon spiders are the only spiders that I can stand. And it's a really nice fusion. And I offer no real criticism.

Nynynyannynanynanyan!

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Hurda-flippin'-durdalur. XD

So here's some moar art. I know, I don't update this thread nearly enough.

EPF.png

I haven't been drawing much Pokémon stuff as of late - some RP related things took up most of my time... And here is the result of that.

FarnellandCyonex.jpg

This guy is named Professor Farnell Belasko. He's a character in a Harry Potter RP group I got roped into. He teaches Herbology and is actually partially based on one of my RO characters. The bird-thing on his shoulder is actually an experimental magical plant hybrid powered partially by alchemy and partially by some rather controversial research he was involved him before he became a professor. Its name is Cyonex and it is adorable.

AmeliaHurrrr.png

And this is Amelia Kay Harper, a student character from the same RP. She's a sixth-year Ravenclaw... and any resemblances to a certain ridiculously adorable lifemate of mine are sheerly coincidental.

Okay, enough Potterisms.

Yoshimitsu_Inverted.png

I recently finished this after completely forgetting I started it - a picture of Yoshimitsu - as in the character belonging to our resident fabulous double rainbow wrangler, as part of an art/sprite trade. Hurr. XD

Brideheili.png

This was inspired by this building somewhere in Orlando. Run that one by me again? Modern Bridal Shop... Elite Fighting Academy? Mmmmyep.

THATSANGHEILISASPY.png

"THAT SANGHEILI'S A SPY!"
This is what happens when we cross the streams.

And lastly...

O hai gais, I accidentally a Forerunner. Yes, he IS linked to Megan's KI-12 and is slated to appear in the same RP that she is in.

LE-42 carries himself with a noble, regal stance and has a bit of a 'beast master' vibe to him - a sort of quiet, commanding presence. His combat skin and his general physique are heavier set - and in combat he is more power oriented than speed oriented - he's sort of the tank of the group - which coupled with his heavy weapons specialty makes him a deadly threat from a distance - though his proficiency with the energy whip allows him to disable foes from a closer range as well. If pressed, he will use his favorite heavy weapon (which is attached to the back of his combat skin when not in use) as a melee weapon - its weight and sturdiness ensuring it packs quite the wallop.

He is one of the older S-Classes, and he has been through quite a bit in his life - though he rarely speaks of his experiences, believing that one should only dwell on the past enough to learn the lessons it has to teach - no more, no less.

:O

This is all awesome.

First, there's a literal take on 'facepalm,' which is hilarious. Then, there's Potter fanarts! :D What house is the Professor from?

As for the Ravenclaw, welcome to the flock. I hope to see you in the common room, Amelia. :p

Yoshimitsu=awesome. That is all.

I just don't get the next two, but they are well-drawn and hilarious.

If LE-42 ever comes around, we're all screwed. XD Fear the whip!

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Farnell is associated with Ravenclaw. ^^

MOAR ART because I've been drawing up a damn storm today.

Wolfmantisthing.png

A random Northern Howling Mantis, this time on all fours. Forelimbs may be a touch too short, but meh.

A reference sheet type thing for Cyonex, Farnell's quasi-familiar.

Aaaaand more of Amelia, this time also featuring her owl, Gemini.

Because I felt like it.

Also because everyone is fond of owls. Except for mice and shrews and Simon Cowell.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I've no clue what a Northern Howling Mantis actually is, but the thing looks awesome drawn by you. Is it meant to look kinda wolf-like or am I just seeing canines because I'm biased? XD

The rest of your sketches are very nifty too, and your "face palm" is - and looks like - a painful pun. xp

Yoshimitsu

Former Moderator
Just a quick one - my hamster's making noises at me

It's nice to see the Northern Howling Mantis in more detail - I was a bit hazy on its details the last time you drew it. As always, your attention to detail with drawing is incredible, and even though it's a killer mantis thing, it looks fuzzy and I want to hug it

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Katie: Yes, it IS meant to be partially wolf-like. XD It is pretty much literally a mantis-wolf-thing. It's a creature I designed for a Homestuck-related RP.

Penguinagathing.png

No, I have no flipping IDEA what this is supposed to be. Some kind of... oceanic... penguin... naga... whale... thing. Of... Thingness.

Wisprite.png

This, however I DO know what is. It's called a Wisprite, and it evolves, eventually, into a Wisteriark. I believe I've already posted what Wisteriark is. XD

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Reptile bird thing with awesome shaped wings of aweeeesoooome. But srsly, this guy is nifty, and something tells me it was a random sketch. XD

I think I was too tired to mention this earlier (or I had to run? can't remember) but I really like how you designed Wisprite. Knowing what its evolution looks like, this makes for a great stage to transition into it. Lovely design. ^^

To make the creature in the first picture, a fish and a bird somehow had babies. I have no idea how this could actually come to be. :p

As for the Northern Howling Mantis, I think the legs look fine. It reminds me very much of a hyena, which has shorter back legs than front. I don't remember what that adaptation is for, but if the creature is in a similar niche or habitat, I think the leg length would be fine.

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
The issue was more me not being certain if the forelegs were long enough. The Northern Howling Mantis uses its forelegs in a similar manner to Terran mantids - to seize prey.

And since I seem to be on an alien bird kick...

Well, I say 'birds' because they have similar ecological niches to those held by avians on earth. Some of them look quite pterosaurid.

There is an older colored oekaki picture in my gallery of the larger, more ratite-like one. The small one with the rosette-like markings on its wings has green eyes and whatever isn't blacked out on it is red. I don't know about the color schemes for the other two yet - although the gular sac on the somewhat pelican-like scavenger and probably the reduced wings as well are more colorful and pronounced on the males.

And I'd imagine the molebird has the kind of coloration irl moles have. Colors don't matter much when you're a largely blind subterranean creature.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Ooo... That's really something, Stel. I love this group shot. So much detail. o.o I'm getting a kick out of the various expressions, too.

I wish I knew what the reference was. All I recognize are the zodiac symbols. XD

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Katie: It's a group shot of the Trolls from Homestuck at a certain point on their timeline. XD The astrological signs they wear actually have a significance of sorts, but I'm not going to spoil it. XD

Anyway, since I'm obviously I'm on a hueg Homestuck/Househeld art kick...

God Tier Bustin and God Tier Colin preparing to start some sick fires, bro.

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Katie_Dream_Team.png

Just a little something for Katie's birthday. ^^ Not exactly my best work, but I've been sick for the past few days and this is the best I could do. ^^;

Hope you like it anyway! ^^

I do love the way you portay PokeMon- As realistic animals with elemental additives, as they should be, unlike the Western cartoon-style the games and anime have. You know you're a good drawer when you succeed in makingSnorlax look savage.

Out of all these, I'd have to say the Charizard looks best in my opinion- Like a true dragon. For something you call a doodle, and done while sick, this is mighty good as always.

I hope you'll feel better soon ^^

Even though Charizard already has short stumpy arms, I think they are attached in the wrong place. In this picture, it looks like the arms are sprouting out of the wing joints. That looks awkward. As wings in real-life animals are a modified hand/paw structure, I can see the reasoning behind this. However, I think an insect wing-evolution path would have been better, with the arms having their own joints and pseudo-wings with some other use (i.e., heat dispersal) be present in earlier stages.

Off of Charizard now. Snorlax looks like a bear. That is awesome. It fits the bill of being hungry and lazy at times all at once, but formidable when attacking. I love the tail. That cute and stubby tail is the best part of this picture hands down. /)O3O(\

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Secad: As stated before, this is far from my best drawing and definitely not my best Charizard - which may explain the awkward jointing - Although, honestly, vertebrates with a hexapodal anatomy do not exist on Earth (as you've stated and is honestly pretty obvious to anyone who takes a singular look at skeletal structures, flying wings on tetrapod vertebrates - such as birds and bats - are essentially highly modified hands) and so one is forced to go into speculation when trying to figure out how another set of appendages would connect. Modified shoulder structure with two joints rather than one, perhaps? Or two sets of shoulder-like connectors? The musculature behind this sort of thing would probably be pretty crazy too. But really, the amount of detail I went into in this drawing is not enough to discern much of that - in particular because it was a birthday present and not an anatomy lesson.

Also, note that I say another set of appendages. Charizard is, in essence, Generic Dragon #6 - which suggests Archosaurid (or at least hexapodal alien biosphere equivalent of which) physiology. This sort of physiology could not support a structure similar to insect wings due to the very nature of insect wings.

For starters: Insect wings are NOT appendages. There is no homology (ALL the Homology! </YGOA>) between any of the insect appendages and their wings. Insect wings are, essentially, outgrowths of the insect exoskeleton, specifically of the nota (singular notum, the broader, larger part of the dorsal plates) of the Mesothorax and Metathorax (the second and third segments of the insect thorax). They do have some form of jointing - but this largely consists of an array of smaller plates (or sclerites). As such, their entire functional mechanism depends on the segmented, plated structure that insects have and vertebrates lack. Actually, in most insects (with the exception of Dragonflies, Damselflies and Mayflies, actually), the wings aren't even connected to muscles directly: muscles are connected to the nota. When they contract the nota are pulled down, and because of the arrangements of the joint plates of the wings (the basalar and subalar plates are particularly important), this causes the wings to bend upwards. When said muscles are relaxed, they flip back down almost exclusively by the elasticity. There are various variations on this in different insects, but that's the general gist of things.

Absolutely nothing in Charizards (or its pre-evolved forms) suggests that they COULD have such a structure (do you see a segmented plated structure on any of them? Neither do I!), and previous stages of the line do not have wings or proto-wings in any form of material by design. So there goes that idea.

Also (and this is relevant to DS's comment as well): When drawing Pokémon with a higher degree of realism than the cartoony official style one must remember that, while there is room for divergence from the original style, you still need to remain largely faithful to the original design. It always bugs me severely when people draw Pokémon as currently extant Earth Animals with some funky colors and maybe a crest or two attached to them to the point they aren't recognizable as what they are. And call it HURR DURR REALISTIC. Maybe, but it's not Pokémon. I personally try my best to interpret the source material and give it a biological twist while at the same time not take away its inherent... Pokémon-ness, if you catch my meaning. And yeah, That means not turning an obvious dragon into a weird bug - unless it already has a lot of arthropod elements like in Flygon's case, which I've seen at least one really good arthropod-based interpretation of (but I still see as a more specified, externally plated archosaurid myself).

Tl;dr: Kindly do your research before you start your keyboard, especially when biology and my art thread is concerned! XD

Buuuuuuuuuut enough of that. It's that time of year again where appropriated legends of Nordic origins are celebrated. And though he has faded from belief by many, there is still one they all expect.

In their tongue, he is Santakiin, Reindeerborn!

Contrary to popular belief, he distributes the damn presents HIMSELF (since his life is after all one huge fucking fetch quest after another).

Well, he used to have Reindeer... but then they took an arrow to the knee.

I consider myself conquered, Stel. Thank you for your insight. :)

Best fireplace ever. Is that a stylized DNA helix I spy?

You know, I'm surprised there aren't any triangles on this cute scene. Is this your dream house, Stel?

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Welp. Here's some random stuff.

InsectoidAlienThing.png

A yet unnamed species of insectoid aliens. This particular individual is female (males are smaller, have a smaller abdomen, lack an ovipositor and have more branched antennae). It's obviously impossible to see in sketch form, but they're also very very shiny and iridescent, like Jewel Beetles or Chrysidid wasps.

I don't even KNOW.

ImperialDrone.png

With the reveal of Imperial Drones on Act 6 Intermission End, I felt like drawing one of the damn things.

And finally:

This is what happens when El throws interesting dragon concepts at me. I just have to try and draw them. XD

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
I've decided to close this art thread. I will possibly start a new one later... But there are things in this thread that I'd rather leave sealed and never unopened for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.