• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Ark-ee-us and the Jewel of Life to air in the US within 2009

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Arceus_and_the_Jewel_of_Life.jpg
Pokemon.com's spoilerific Mailbag section has a number of 12th Movie questions this week, including when it should be airing on television in the states.

Replying to a user's e-mail asking when to expect to see the 12th movie, Pokemon.com replied: "We think it will air this year. Actually, we don't just think, we know - stay tuned for more details". Indicating that for the first time, a Pokemon movie dub could air even before the Japanese DVD release - normally scheduled for the very end of December.

A DVD release date has not been mentioned, but for the past few movies, Cartoon Network has aired a 'cut' version of the movie up to a few months prior to the DVD release, meaning this airing could either have an even longer gap or that the DVD could release even sooner than the traditional Easter/Early Summer period.

Within the same feature, Pokemon.com makes a point of detailing the 'official' pronunciation of Arceus' name; describing it as being pronounced 'Ark-ee-us", as opposed to a more softer sound on the 'c'. While this goes against how Arceus is pronounced in the native Japanese tongue, it is the pronunciation that will be used within the movie dub.

But, hey, they still struggle to pronounce Pokémon correctly - so who really gives a stuff?

In other silly Pokemon name news, Notch-Eared, or 'Giza-mimi' Pichu has been semi-officially announced as 'Spiky-Eared Pichu' in the translated games and movie by means of a soft-announcement on Pokemon.com and an over-revealing URL. It's important to note, however, that 'Notch-Eared' was never an official translation of the full Japanese 'Giza-mimi' name, and that 'spiky' is as valid an interpretation of the original name. Meaning there's no real 'change' as far as official names go; it just differs from the fan-interpretation of the Japanese name.

Last edited by a moderator:

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Oh of COURSE. It's only NATURAL that a company that cannot pronounce the name of its own EFF!ing franchise right will pronounce Arceus completely EFF!ing wrong.

I've always pronounced it "Are seuss", with the "seuss" like in "Dr. Seuss".

Also that bit on the notched-ear Pichu... that could be a developer's coin for the flash file and nothing more, as there isn't an official confirmation it is "Spikey-eared Pichu" yet.

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Japanese-wise it's spelled アルセウス in Japanese, which romanizes to "a ru se u su". (For the uninitiated, each individual kana represents a syllable and not a letter). In syllables ending with a 'u' sound the 'u' tends to be silent (unless elongated with an elongator kana or a vowel u), which ends up in Arseus, pronounced something to the line of Are-Say-Oos.

But yeah. These ARE the people who pronounce PokeMon 'Pokeymon' on an official capacity. x-x

Sem

The Last of the Snowmen
Former Administrator
Are-see-us for me, with the see-us jammed together like seeus. Either way... lol; in the words of Aragorn, "That's retarded. =|"

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Are-see-us for me, with the see-us jammed together like seeus.

Same with me, at least since Stel pointed out how I kept adding letters to my original pronunciation XD

This isn't a first whatsoever, so I'm pretty "eh" about it. I'm just glad Dialga, Palkia, and Giratina were pronounced properly. As for the movie announcement... That'd be pretty awesome if they did air it this year. I'm looking forward to seeing it in either language as soon as possible.

I've always pronounced pokemon's names wrong, I always thought it was ar-kee-us, but when someone else pronounced it ar-cee-us I thought that was probably right. On the topic of pronouncing it Ar-see-us, I have realised that if you put it together you just have to take the ee-us off it and what do you get?

On the topic of the movie, I'm glad it's coming out soon, because I watch all of the poke-movies on youtube anyway.

I always thought it was Ar-see-us as well, but only because it was the least garish of the options. Ar-kee-us...I can handle it. It's better than Ar-zeus >>

I think it's really cool that there was a trilogy this time. Hopefully this movie will be even better than the Giratina one (which rocked) and doesn't suck like the Darkrai movie (emo Pokemon

I never thought it was Ark for the first syllable, but hey, what's that's thing on its back? An arc(h). I always pronounced it Are-see-us, but yeah, I'm not good with pronunciation.