• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Are you up to the challenge?

I low-key have no idea where to put this, so screw it.

So, I made this earlier today because I was bored. I've heard of all of these neat -locke challenges, but I've never seen one quite like this. I wanted to make something really challenging, but I couldn't really figure out what. Then, when my friend sent me a bunch of Pokemon for me to do a journey with, it hit me. So, without further ado, here are the rules for the Teamlocke Challenge:

1. You must decide on a full team of Pokemon prior to your playthrough.
- No Legendaries are allowed.
- These Pokemon can be provided by friends.
- Pokemon can be generated to have up to five perfect IVs and a specific nature.
- Pokemon must start in their base-level evolution.
- Like all starters, the Pokemon you use must start at Level 5.
- No Pokemon may have a move or ability it would not have or learn naturally. Unless it was bred, it may not know any egg moves, and any moves it knows must be learned naturally or via TM or Tutor.
2. This team will be your team for the rest of the game.
- If a Pokemon faints, that's it. It cannot be replaced, and it must be removed from the team.
- You may catch as many Pokemon as you want, but you may not use any of them at any point. For exceptions, see below.
- If at any point, all six of your original team have fainted, that is game over.
- HM Slaves are allowed, but they must be boxed between uses, and they may not be used to take a hit for a team member.

I wanted to create a really special challenge for people, and I believe that I have. So I ask you all...

Are you up to the challenge?

Have you done a nuzlocke? I found it so tedious I gave up after a few hours, it's just constant grinding to make sure your pokémon don't faint, and as they're self-imposed rules unless you're being filmed doing a nuzlocke its possible to cheat, unless someone does a mod of pokémon where it puts nuzlocke effects in, I personally have no time for it.

Your idea sounds worse.

Have you played through a game where you've planned exactly what you're going to have in your team, then given it to yourself to play through with? It gets so dull! Your "challenge" sounds more of an exercise in tedium, I'll pass, life's too short.

I have done a Nuzlocke, actually. I just completed my first ever successful one a couple of days ago in fact. Nuzlockes and Randomizers have kept the series fun for me while I wait for new content.

I can totally understand not liking the tedium. It can definitely get to be taxing on one's patience. It's just a fun challenge for people to take part in.

In regards to this, I intentionally made it particularly challenging. In a way, it's like a Pick My Units run in Fire Emblem. You're locked to those units, and they're gone for good once they die, but at least in this case, you get to pick your units, allowing you to better ensure your victory. So it's far from impossible, but definitely far from easy.

It's also why I included leniencies such as allowing generated Pokémon that have their competitively viable base stats, giving the player that massive extra edge. You also start with the full team, making it so that you don't have to worry about using one or two Pokémon for half the game while you wait on the rest. It could certainly be much much harder, but eh.

In this case, it's also entirely on the player as to whether or not they win. Because they have control over the challenge from the beginning, you can no longer blame RNG for giving you crappy Pokémon.

Last edited by a moderator:

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Moved to Pokemon Games Discussion because that's where this sort of things belong.
Also, please do not post twice or more in a row. You have an edit button at the bottom of your post. Use it.

I stand by everything I said. It doesn't sound fun, through any stretch of the imagination. Look at your conditions "You can catch as many pokémon as you like but you can't use them" Seriously? Do you not see how ridiculous you are for saying that? Quite literally you've *tried* to rip off the nuzlocke, but simultaneously taken away everything that makes a nuzlocke difficult and "entertaining".

Whilst yes randomizers can be fun, I've never completed a randomized game, always it hits a point where I stop enjoying myself.
Ever known anyone to stop playing XY when they reach the Lumiose Badlands? Something about the power plant, the badlands themselves, and the way the story kinda hitches at that point, means a lot of players give up around there (sure a lot of players find a gible, fall in love, and smash the holy shit out of everything but thats irrelevant), have you actually played through a game or two with your set of rules in place? As you so far haven't mentioned anything about actually doing it, I'm going to assume you haven't.

When you post a video of your successful run through with your rules, I'll happily give you more feedback.

But for now, why not consider your challenge in "RLRL Mode"

1. You must breed a full team of Pokemon prior to your play through.
- No pokémon with a base stat total surpassing 540
- Base stat total of entire team cannot surpass 2750 (final forms of pokémon count for BST, 2850 with mega)
- Only 1 mega evolution capable pokémon per team.
- Pokemon must be traded to the game as eggs to ensure normal XP gain
- No Pokemon may have a move or ability it would not have or learn naturally. (hey look i left in your rule!)
2. This team will be your team for the rest of the game, unless you find a shiny pokémon
- whatever the pokémon, if it's shiny, it has to replace the pokémon with the highest BST on your team unless that pokémon is shiny
- failure to capture any shiny pokémon is seen as an act of treason against the crown and you have to restart the game entirely
- finishing the game with an awful team of 6 shinies means RLRL will be nice to you for at least 30 seconds
3. You must save your game whenever you walk out of a pokémon centre.
4. HM slaves are not allowed, unless you have bred them as part of your team (bidoof is a good way of keeping that BST down)
5. Only shiny pokémon are allowed to be captured, unless pivotal to the storyline.
6. Your pokémon cannot surpass the level of the highest pokémon of a gym leader/elite 4 member prior to battle. (So you can level up during battle thats fine, but if you overlevel one of your pokémon you'd better throw it in a box for that gym battle, tsk tsk can't have the ability to grind)

Meh I've wasted too much time replying to this anyway, I cant think of any more rules, I can't think of many things worse to do in pokémon than play by an arbitrary set of rules that no one is enforcing but yourself, but heck, I still think mine could actually pose a challenge even if i've set the base stat total ridiculously high (didn't want people bitching about starters etc)