• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Arc of a Scythe: Brotherhood of Reapers

Status
Not open for further replies.
1) Thou Shalt Kill.
2) Thou shalt kill with no bias, bigotry or malice aforethought.
3) Thou shalt grant an annum of immunity to the beloved of those who accept your coming, and to anyone else you deem worthy.
4) Thou shalt kill the beloved of those who resist.
5) Thou shalt serve humanity for the full span of thy days, and thy family shall have immunity as recompense for as long as you live.
6) Thou shalt lead an exemplary life in word and in deed, and keep a journal of each and every day.
7) Thou shalt not kill no scythe beyond thyself.
8 ) Thou shalt claim no earthly possessions, save they robes, ring and journal.
9) Thou shalt have neither spouse nor spawn.
10) Thou shalt be beholden to no laws beyond these.

These are The Scythe Commandments, ten ultimate laws amongst the Scythes, the only ones in a perfect world that can inflict permanent death in an age of immortals. The world has overcome all troubles - governmental corruption, disease, crime, even mortality itself. All thanks to an AI known as the Thunderhead, a giant computer that resides over and controls everything. Well, everything but the Scythes. The Scythes are the only organization still controlled by humans, as law separates the two organizations. The reasoning behind this is that a being with a consciousness must be responsible for the loss of life, and it cannot be proved the Thunderhead has such.
In NorthMerica, recent events in the center of the country - namely, the ascent of Scythe Anastasia and the accompanying events, have thrown the Scythedom into chaos. Dissent flutters amongst the ranks, as corruption is brought to the forefront of people's attention. Despite this, one Scythe chooses to inflate the ranks, as to build Scythes better prepared to fight the good fight against the corruption of their ancestors' ideals. This man is known as Scythe Hawking, a renowned master of the blade. Where Scythe Faraday choosing to take on two apprentices was outlandish to the Scythedom, Hawking's new choice is much more shocking. With the consent of High Blade Democritus and High Inquisitor Arc, Scythe Hawking has claimed five rings for himself - five rings that he will give out, as he deems worthy, to his five apprentices. But in order for the five to become his apprentices, they must first gain his attention.
This is the story of Scythe Hawking and his Brotherhood of Reapers, as it all begins.

This RP is based off of a book called Scythe. It's a really good read and is the first in the Arc of a Scythe series. If you haven't read it, you should!
Anyways, there are two types of characters you can make - Scythes and Apprentices. The Apprentice sheet can also just be used for a normal person, but it's best to be an Apprentice. As stated above, Scythe Hawking (my Scythe, named after Stephen Hawking) is performing the irregular and taking on five apprentices. Due to this, we need five apprentices, so ideally RPers can take one of the five. I'm taking one myself. However, it is not necessary to be an apprentice under Scythe Hawking. This is why other Scythes may be made by RPers for the sake of character interaction, more apprentices and other matters. Character sheets and rules are below.
1) Follow the regular PRP rules. Should be obvious, but still.
2) Keep in mind the setting and context of this world - it's a perfect world, and perfectly boring. Death is temporary, and only the Scythes make a difference here.
3) All Scythes must follow The Scythe Commandments, but there are some leniency that I will grant. For example, Commandment Nine... I expect you all to work around that eventually ;)
4) All Scythes are named after a Patron Historic - namely, a person from the real world or past that did, has done or is doing great things for humanity, morally speaking. For example, Stephen Hawking, Xenocrates, Micheal Faraday, Marie Curie, etc.
5) Don't forget that Scythes are not to be interfered with by the Thunderhead, and thus are above the law. (For better or for worse...)
6) If you read all the rules, mention Death Note somewhere.
7) Please fill out all of your character sheet, and if I've never RPed with you before then know that I will require an RP sample from you to see whether or not you've got the RPing quality I'm looking for.
9) Romance and gore are allowed, just don't make it excessive. For example, if sex does happen then please leave it implied and not described while gore should ideally be limited to means of murder and not descriptions of the deceased's remains unless it's necessary. Swears are allowed however, just not racial slurs because they don't really exist anymore.
10) I AM THE LAW, AND THE LAW... IS ABSOLUTE! Therefore I say there shall be NO Rule #8!
Scythe Name/Patron Historic:
Original Name: (optional)
Mental Age:
Biological Age (Appearance):
Genetic Index (DNA percentage, must add up to 100%): C (Caucasoid): , A (Afric): , P (PanAsian): , Ca (Chilargentine): , O: (Other): (optional)
Physical Appearance:
Scythe Robe Appearance: (any design or pattern as long as black isn't a part of it)
Backstory: (optional)
Apprentice: (if any)
Region: (NorthMerica, MidMerica, Chilargentine, Amazonia...)
Favored Weapon: (optional)
Family: (optional)
Name:
Genetic Index (DNA percentage, must add up to 100%): C (Caucasoid): , A (Afric): , P (PanAsian): , Ca (Chilargentine): , O: (Other): (optional)
Physical Appearance:
Master: (if any)
Region: (NorthMerica, MidMerica, Chilargentine, Amazonia...)
Family: (optional)
@SS-I Never @Godjacob @Not Gyro Zeppeli @Jagson @BlueMew392 might you five be interested?
I'll make my character sheets later.

Last edited:
Scythe Name/Patron Historic: Scythe Hawking
Original Name: Jin Sakurai
Mental Age: 124
Biological Age: 36
Genetic Index: C: 16, A: 18, P: 31, Ca: 8, O: 27
Physical Appearance: Scythe Hawking is quite tall, being almost on par with the tallest of Scythes. Scythe Hawking chooses to keep his naturally silver hair long, running halfway down his back. Of course, common people never see its full length, as it runs beneath the cloak.
Scythe Robe Appearance: Scythe Hawking's robe is a light grey, almost the color of clouds. However, the cloak has shiny silver lining.
Backstory: Not much is known about Scythe Hawking. Rumor has it, however, that he was a good friend of Scythe Faraday and was apprentice to High Inquisitor Arc. Neither of these rumors have been confirmed nor denied by either Scythe Hawking or the other involved Scythes. However, it is known that his weapon of choice is the silver katana - all who know of him know this fact, as he is the Silver Blade of the Scythe to the common people thanks to his single-handed elimination of the last terrorist group on the planet.
Apprentice: Clarke Westwood, Nathan Valley, Seha Patel, Arron Marucs, [RPer Apprentice]
Region: NorthMerica
Favored Weapon: Scythe Hawking has a soft spot for katana, as he has his swords hung on a special wall of his with practically every metal imaginable turned into a katana.
Family: Scythe Hawking has no known family.
Name: Clarke Westwood
Genetic Index: C: 33, A: 21, P: 13, Ca: 7, O: 26
Physical Appearance: Clarke has brown hair that goes down to his neck but covers his forehead completely. He sometimes wears glasses, but usually wears contacts. His skin is mostly white, and he's slightly tall and thin for his age. He usually wears a blue t-shirt with an old video game character named Sonic pictured on it under his open black overshirt and brown pants, as well as black shoes.
Backstory: The second-born in a family of two, Clarke was born only a year after his older sister. He's always strived to help out his family as much as possible, which is the main reason why he studied technology - tech may seem like it's perfect, but improvements can still be made to better the lives of others. He attends Hamilton High School, formerly within the city known as Hamilton, Ontario, as a sophomore.
Master: Scythe Hawking... well, soon, anyways.
Favored Weapon: He will eventually prefer the rapier as his weapon of choice.
Family: He has a mother, Maria, and an older sister, Jenny. He doesn't know where his father is, nor his grandparents. Though his uncle, who lives like an old-timey movie star, resides in their house.
People creating an Apprentice for Scythe Hawking, meet your Master and fellow Apprentice!

Last edited:
This is interesting, but I think I’ll sit this one out. It looks cool, but Im personally not a fan of rps like this, even though they are very respectable. Sorry, but I’m gonna give it a no for now.

Ah. No, it's more so the philosophy of being a Scythe that the RP is about as well as dealing with the boredom and futility of a perfect world. And of course the whole situation with the Thunderhead and Scythedom. That's what I'll be exploring in the RP. With, y'know, a lot of death too because that's their job.

I have no idea what the hecc to expect from this, but what do I have to lose?

However, I understand Genetic Index about as much as I understand One Piece, so it won't be flawless.

Also, I know nothing about the Scythe world, despite reading the intro. I assume that up until they're chosen as Apprentices these people live under mind control, and my backstory reflects this.

Name: Nathan Valley
Genetic Index (DNA percentage, must add up to 100%): C: 54, A: 21, P: 10, Ca (Chilargentine): 8, O: (Other): 7 [look, this dude has a lot of European ancestry]
Physical Appearance: Quite a bit of blond hair that sits on his head in a floofy mess. He has dimples (his left deeper than his right), and blue eyes. He has a few pimples, mostly on his forehead, because he tends to rest his head in his arms. He's slender, but gained a hint of muscle definition since puberty- nothing to brag about, though.
Backstory: Lived a fairly normal life. A's and B's [assuming school is a thing] and plenty of friends. A girlfriend once. They broke up. Middle school relationships never last. In high school, he began to blossom into a wonderful actor. This plays into life, as he is great at deception. One week before he was chosen, he began to date a girl. However, Apprentices can't have significant others, so he had to break it off. He resents some of the Scythe Commandments because of this.
Master: Scythe Hawking
Region: MidMerica. The boring part.
Favored Weapon: He's not really sure yet. [in other words- I have no idea yet]
Family: Arthur and Helena Valley [mom and dad]. Brother Frankis.

Okay, this is probably really bad. Again, I don't know about the world of Scythe, so fill me in on anything that needs to be fixed.

Last edited:
Here we go~ Sorry it took awhile.

Scythe Name/Patron Historic: Scythe Jeanne d'Arc (or Scythe d'Arc)
Original Name: Dakota Copeland
Mental Age: 167
Biological Age (Appearance): 26
Genetic Index: C: 23%, A: 10%, P: 18%, Ca: 17%, O: 32%
Physical Appearance: A woman of about 5'3" with short brown hair. Her hair goes down to her shoulder and has bangs covering the sides of her face. Red and white pins are used the hold her bangs out of eyesight. Scythe d'Arc's face is partially tanned in exception to over her eyes, in which she wears goggles while working.
Scythe Robe Appearance: An olive green robe with red outlines. Each outline has a pattern of yellow stripes across it.
Backstory: After becoming a Scythe, the people of MidMerica started fearing the name Scythe Jeanne d'Arc. A few months of initially being promoted to Scythehood, her records for making death as sudden as possible became her trademark. She received the nickname death note "Wraith of the Sky" or in other cases, the "Reaper's Eyesight." Using rifles, her prime goal is to make death as shocking as possible to the target. Although, she's looked down upon on occasion due to her actions being equivalent to that of the old word "assassination."
Apprentice: [None]
Region: MidMerica
Favored Weapon: Any form of ranged weaponry (Most notably, rifles). She often keeps artillery in high maintenance.
Family: Her mother is still alive, with the biological age of around 70 (she's actually 200 at most), they haven't been in touch after Dakota officially became a Scythe. Scythe d'Arc's father was gleaned by one of her own colleagues, yet she didn't feel much as she knew it would happen eventually. Overall, there are several half-siblings (on her mother's side) that live under different names and households. She is completely uncertain of their whereabouts or current living standards.
Name: Seha Patel
Genetic Index: C: 17%, A: 14%, P: 18% , Ca: 23%, O: 28%
Physical Appearance: A young teenager about 5'1" with long dark brown hair that goes down to the middle of her back. Her hair bangs go over her shoulders in ties on the end. She wears a white short-sleeved top with the image of several lines, which form the word "Merci" in inverse. Seha wears blue capri pants with a light jacket around her waist and brown sneakers.
Backstory: A student in MidMerican Freshman who has lived quite normal for well whatever normal is for her standards. She doesn't socialize with many students. The school district she's been in is often quiet, even if a Scythe appears -- there is fear, but no one really acknowledges someone randomly splatting themselves or being gleaned in the middle of the street.
Master: Scythe Hawking (sometime later, if possible)
Favored Weapon: At some point, she'll show an interest towards weaponry that's light for her to handle, knives or daggers.
Family: Her parents are divorced from one another leaving the youngest of three children in custody of both. After both older siblings left to start their own lives, Seha has been caught in a long standing argument between their parents. The mother and father live within the same town, yet live so far apart. Daily, Seha would stay at one parent then go to the other the following day. Ever since their divorce, neither of her parents have been on good terms.

I can't believe I didn't notice there was a second installment released in the series (I did research since it's been awhile). I thought that Book 2 would be out over this coming summer. :p

I have no idea what the hecc to expect from this, but what do I have to lose?

However, I understand Genetic Index about as much as I understand One Piece, so it won't be flawless.

Also, I know nothing about the Scythe world, despite reading the intro. I assume that up until they're chosen as Apprentices these people live under mind control, and my backstory reflects this.

Name: Nathan Valley
Genetic Index (DNA percentage, must add up to 100%): C: 72, A: 14, P: 14, Ca (Chilargentine): 0, O: (Other): (optional)0 [look, this dude has a lot of European ancestry]
Physical Appearance: Quite a bit of blond hair that sits on his head in a floofy mess. He has dimples (his left deeper than his right), and blue eyes. He has a few pimples, mostly on his forehead, because he tends to rest his head in his arms. He's slender, but gained a hint of muscle definition since puberty- nothing to brag about, though.
Backstory: Lived a fairly normal life. A's and B's [assuming school is a thing] and plenty of friends. A girlfriend once. They broke up. Middle school relationships never last. In high school, he began to blossom into a wonderful actor. This plays into life, as he is great at deception. One week before he was chosen, he began to date a girl. However, Apprentices can't have significant others, so he had to break it off. He resents some of the Scythe Commandments because of this.
Master: Scythe Hawking
Region: MidMerica. The boring part.
Favored Weapon: He's not really sure yet. [in other words- I have no idea yet]
Family: Arthur and Helena Valley [mom and dad]. Brother Frankis.

Okay, this is probably really bad. Again, I don't know about the world of Scythe, so fill me in on anything that needs to be fixed.
Don't worry, pal, I gotcha! Genetic index is pretty much just how much of what ethnicity someone has, as in the world of AoaS it's extremely mixed with practically the entire population. Nathan's quite special, having no Chilargentine or Other blood. And no, the entire population isn't brainwashed - they're all independent thinkers, just bored as hell since school is hardly necessary, jobs are hardly necessary and crime doesn't exist. It's just boring. I definitely like the character, though! Approved, and welcome to the Brotherhood!
Here we go~ Sorry it took awhile.

Scythe Name/Patron Historic: Scythe Jeanne d'Arc (or Scythe d'Arc)
Original Name: Dakota Copeland
Mental Age: 167
Biological Age (Appearance): 26
Genetic Index: C: 23%, A: 10%, P: 18%, Ca: 17%, O: 32%
Physical Appearance: A woman of about 5'3" with short brown hair. Her hair goes down to her shoulder and has bangs covering the sides of her face. Red and white pins are used the hold her bangs out of eyesight. Scythe d'Arc's face is partially tanned in exception to over her eyes, in which she wears goggles while working.
Scythe Robe Appearance: An olive green robe with red outlines. Each outline has a pattern of yellow stripes across it.
Backstory: After becoming a Scythe, the people of MidMerica started fearing the name Scythe Jeanne d'Arc. A few months of initially being promoted to Scythehood, her records for making death as sudden as possible became her trademark. She received the nickname death note "Wraith of the Sky" or in other cases, the "Reaper's Eyesight." Using rifles, her prime goal is to make death as shocking as possible to the target. Although, she's looked down upon on occasion due to her actions being equivalent to that of the old word "assassination."
Apprentice: [None]
Favored Weapon: Any form of ranged weaponry (Most notably, rifles). She often keeps artillery in high maintenance.
Family: Her mother is still alive, with the biological age of around 70 (she's actually 200 at most), they haven't been in touch after Dakota officially became a Scythe. Scythe d'Arc's father was gleaned by one of her own colleagues, yet she didn't feel much as she knew it would happen eventually. Overall, there are several half-siblings (on her mother's side) that live under different names and households. She is completely uncertain of their whereabouts or current living standards.
Name: Seha Patel
Genetic Index: C: 17%, A: 14%, P: 18% , Ca: 23%, O: 28%
Physical Appearance: A young teenager about 5'1" with long dark brown hair that goes down to the middle of her back. Her hair bangs go over her shoulders in ties on the end. She wears a white short-sleeved top with the image of several lines, which form the word "Merci" in inverse. Seha wears blue capri pants with a light jacket around her waist and brown sneakers.
Backstory: A student in MidMerican Freshman who has lived quite normal for well whatever normal is for her standards. She doesn't socialize with many students. The school district she's been in is often quiet, even if a Scythe appears -- there is fear, but no one really acknowledges someone randomly splatting themselves or being gleaned in the middle of the street.
Master: Scythe Hawking (sometime later, if possible)
Favored Weapon: At some point, she'll show an interest towards weaponry that's light for her to handle, knives or daggers.
Family: Her parents are divorced from one another leaving the youngest of three children in custody of both. After both older siblings left to start their own lives, Seha has been caught in a long standing argument between their parents. The mother and father live within the same town, yet live so far apart. Daily, Seha would stay at one parent then go to the other the following day. Ever since their divorce, neither of her parents have been on good terms.

I can't believe I didn't notice there was a second installment released in the series (I did research since it's been awhile). I thought that Book 2 would be out over this coming summer. :p
So I definitely like your idea for your Scythe, only thing is is that Jeanne d'Arc and Joan of Arc are the same person and I already used Joan of Arc as the Patron Historic of High Inquisitor/Scythe Arc. But I still like the scythe - the idea is really cool, though Hawking may disapprove. And Seha is awesome! Accepted.

I just based the GI off of my own personal GI (or what I assume it is- I'm just white as white can be). But yeah, in this society it'd probably be more mixed. I'll edit that. I'm super excited for this!

Name: Arron Marucs
Genetic Index C (Caucasoid):65 , A:15 , P15 , Ca:5 ,
Physical Appearance: Longish blonde hair, Lean somewhat muscle figure. Wears a blue shirt with a green jacket and blue jeans.
Master: (if any) Hawking
Family: none orphaned at a young age.

Sorry for taking a bit of time to make this I've been busy. Also sorry if it's a bit vague I have no experience with this book series

Last edited:
Uh, mind cleaning up your sheet a bit...? Your genetic index should be a bit more diverse, you don't have a name or gender, and... uh, that's it actually. But some backstory or family would be nice.

Understood sorry about the name and gender part I just copied and pasted the character sheet but apparently not enough of it.

Also since I don't have any experience with this series I can't really form a backstory.

Well, Arc of a Scythe takes place in the future. All problems have been eliminated, even death, but school and jobs are still around. Everything is run and observed by the Thunderhead, an AI that's the evolution of the cloud. The only independent human form of government left are the Scythes, who are responsible for permanently ending lives in order to keep the population under control. Aside from being "gleamed" by a Scythe (killing was considered too barbaric a term), humans no longer die. Nanites in their bloodstream heal, ease pain and dull overreactions. Crime has been all but eliminated, except for occasional vandalization by people called Unsavories. Peace Officers replace policemen. And the world has be redivized into several nations, including America (MidMerica, NorthMerica, EastMerica, SouthMerica, WestMerica), Asia (PanAsia) and Argentina (Chilargentine). Does that help?

Id be interested if youll have me. I realize we havent rped together much, but I dont think im a terrible writer and this story interests me. Couple questions though, whats the time setting of this rp? Whats the 'level' of syfy? (a.k.a how broken are the main heroes/villains in terms of abilities?) What are the possibilities/limitations for ocs?

I'd be fine with having you in, as I saw what you had when you were in the DBB RP. As for your other questions, see above. For the most part it's what us ordinary humans could do, and the only weapons left are classic-styled.

I-I did. I got all the important details down, mainly using book terminology which I thought people would be able to understand like I did. Character sheets are on the first slide if you wouldn't mind making a guy/gal.

What Did You Do To Snoke?

Previously Ratbag the Coward
I would really like to join this, but there a few issues I have. First of all, do all apprentices eventually become scythes? Secondly, is 'Caucasian' basically the European option because, although the definition is white european, the Caucaus is actually that Azerbijan area of eastern Europe, so in my opinion, it's not representative of Europe. Another thing I don't understand is why is 'American' not an option? These are just a few of the misunderstandings I might have.

1) No. Scythe apprentices are trained for a year, and upon the third conclave are either given a Scythe ring or sent back home to live their normal lives.
2) I guess?
3) Not my world. This world was created by Neal Shusterman, author of the books. Most Americans are Caucasian anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.