• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Anyone up for NetBattle?

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I had some technical difficulties for awhile but they've resolved themselves. Now I can actually play (even if I do consider it cheap as hell) ^^

Anyone else use the Pokemon NetBattle? If so, what server(s) and names do you use? I'll probably lose, but I'm open for battles if anyone cares for one :)

baratron

Moderator of Elder Scrolls
Staff member
What exactly is NetBattle, & how does it work? :? I keep seeing people talk about it, but it seems to be one of these things where you're either in the in-crowd and know everything about it, or you're not, and know nothing.

And hell, if you played me - you'd almost certainly not lose :roll:.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
http://www.tvsian.com/netbattle/

It's an online Pokemon battle simulator ^^

Check out the link to download the program. The program gives you full control over your Pokemon, allowing you to set any moves, natures, or EV stats you want. As I said before, it's kinda cheap (you could never do all that in the real games), but it's fun to pass the time on - especially if you're battling a friend or someone who's a good sport.

How it actually works is pretty much like a regular link-up battle. You challenge people with a team and battle it out. Simple as that! :)

So, yeah... If you ever decide to set up an account, tell me your account name and a good time to meet you online. I'd love to battle anyone I can ^^

baratron

Staff member
Heh - y'know, almost immediately after I posted, I did a quick Google search and found the link myself. What I meant to ask wasn't really "what is it?" but more "how do you get your Pokemon into it?". And then I found out you just type them in, and can set the stats any old way you like.

So... what I still don't get - what's to stop you setting up an 00ber-powerful team of 6 legendaries with stupidly high stats? If the answer is "nothing", how do you find out how realistic someone else's team is before battling them? :shock:

My self-esteem isn't really up to dealing with people with over-inflated stats and "impossible" egg move combinations... it's bad enough dealing with Colosseum :?.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
baratron said:
So... what I still don't get - what's to stop you setting up an 00ber-powerful team of 6 legendaries with stupidly high stats? If the answer is "nothing", how do you find out how realistic someone else's team is before battling them? :shock:

My self-esteem isn't really up to dealing with people with over-inflated stats and "impossible" egg move combinations... it's bad enough dealing with Colosseum :?.

NetBattle is very unrealistic IMO. You can't really use it to judge how good a player would be gamewise because it allows you to get away with so much. That said, though, when you're on a server waiting to be challenged you can check out people's profiles to see their wins/losses and the % strength of their team. High % strength basically means they have stronger Pokemon. Sometimes you can also see their team, but not always. Same goes for challenges themselves. You can usually see what six Pokemon they have before accepting (meaning any legendaries they have).

This is why I'd rather battle people I know then random players. If I'm battling you guys I can trust that you're not gonna show up with a team of six Legendaries or impossible eggmove sets ;)

My favourite part of NetBattle isn't the standard battles really... It's the Challenge Cup style battles! All your and your opponents Pokemon are random, and until you choose a Pokemon you don't know what moves it has. A lot of it is left up to luck, but it's still fun to win with a totally random team ^_^

baratron

Staff member
"Raichu said:
My favourite part of NetBattle isn"]

Heh. Oh, that sounds cool...

Have found most of the FAQs don't answer anything I want answering. Like does NetBattle run entirely as a Java applet in my browser, or is it a separate program? If it's a program, what OS do I need to run to use it? :roll:

Although it did explain how to set up a server. I might just set one up here, we have a permanent connection with fixed IP... and then only tell people I want to play with about it :p.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I'm not sure about what OS you'd need to run it (I have XP home), but it is a seperate program (with battle tunes, sound effects, and everything).

And hey, if you ever get that server up please be nice enough to tell me the password! ;)