• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

DPPt/HGSS Any good Ideas for a Moveset with a Blastoise?

Hey Guys, just been wondering while Surfin' around the internets;

What would be a good moveset for a Blastoise?

Now I told Linkachu to teach me about Sp.Attack on the Chatroom, so I got jamming and came up with this moveset, but please tell me what I can do with it to tune it to it's full capabilities! I have also explained why I have chosen the moves.

Blastoise
Naughty Nature
Hydro Pump (Just Blastoise's good, effective Water move, and is boosted thanks to Naughty Nature.)
Iron Defence (Great for Defending against Stabs and
against Pokemon with high Attack.)
Water Pulse (Mainly just to attack Pokemon easily with a hard hit, due to the confusion.)
Rain Dance (To power up Hydro Pump even more and give Water Pulse that little boost.)

So come on guys, fire away.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Heh. Like I said on the chat, a few things quickly stood out to me XD

One is that a Naughty doesn't boost Special Attack (which is what Hydro Pump falls under). Naughty promotes your Attack stat at the decease of Special Defense.

Second would be having both Hydro Pump and Water Pulse, because even though one is meant for accuracy and the other for raw power - you can get walled by certain types of Pokemon very easily (namely other Water-type Pokemon).

Third, you should point out whether you plan to use this in-game or competitive, because people might suggest sets with more PP for in-game uses.

From a quick glance, I'd suggest you either drop Water Pulse or Hydro Pump with an attack that can do neutral damage to a Water-type. Otherwise, it'd really help if you answered my 3rd point and whether or not you're willing to breed for a different Blastoise for certain eggmoves or a more appropriate nature to match the type of moveset you'd want.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Here's a Blastoise set that I came up with as something of a joke, but I believe it would not only be very effective, but VERY annoying to have to face:

Blastoise @ Leftovers/Lagging Tail
Relaxed/Sassy
Torrent

- Counter
- Mirror Coat
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Yup, it's a Blastoise that thinks it's a Wobbuffet. Having both Counter and Mirror Coat is a pain to deal with since if you guess right, your opponent will end up taking a nasty hit. Status doesn't threaten this set thanks to Rest, and your opponent isn't even safe whilst you're asleep thanks to Sleep Talk being able to trigger Counter/Mirror Coat. One thing of note is that this won't work so well against opponents who are slower than you, since Sleep Talk will make your Counter/Mirror Coat trigger before your opponent attacks, but against someone faster than you, this set can potentially frustrate them to no end. Lagging Tail can offset the Speed issue somewhat by making you always go last, but then you lose the extra healing from Leftovers. Your choice here.

Ruko

Bearded Trout Warrior
Blastoise @ Zoom Lens
Quiet Nature
-Hydro Pump [96 accuracy if you go last]
-Focus Blast [84 accuracy]
-Rollout [100 accuracy]
-Yawn

EVs very mixed

If what I've read in various places is true, Zoom lens should actually raise your accuracy rather than critical... if you use this set and rollout misses even once against a faster opponent, it was a lie.
Similar to KoL's set, this one works better if you go last so that you get the accuracy boost.
Yawn will combo with Rollout quite excellently, a lot of people will switch on the turn you yawn, or the turn after they fall asleep.. The ones that don't are pretty much screwed. Either way you get at least one free turn to make up for the power being base 30 to start.
Hydro Pump is there for STAB, and the fact it will have nearly 100 accuracy if you go last.
Focus Blast will help cover whatever Hydro Pump can't hit, and still hit for fairly good power and decent accuracy. If you don't like that it still has low accuracy, it can be traded out for something else without a huge loss.