• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Anime Traits: What do You Pick Up?

What I mean by the title question is, when you watch anime, read manga, or play anime and manga based video games, do you pick up traits of a character you like. I've been playin Ultimate Ninja 4 latley...just finished it 100% today, after a week of playing, actually...Anyway, I've been playing that, and I've seemed to have starting acting like Shikamaru, and adding "Hm." to the end of my sentences like Deidara. The "hm." part I do without thinking now. So, the question stands, what anime traits do you pick up. Hm?

Well i don't know if this counts but...ever since me and my Friends started watching Bleach, we kind pick up a few things, one of my Friends if he startens his hair looks like ishida, and has the same know it all atuide vibe. my other friend has the same short temper as ruika as well as if she moves her fringe a bit she looks like her as well. Me well i have started scowling a lot.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I pick up on Engrish quite a bit. Japanese Pokemon is one of the worst for me because it loves shoving English into its OPs/EDs, so I tend to find myself randomly yelling phrases at people that mean nothing if they don't recognize the source XP

Then, like every Anime it seems, you have characters who'll start spouting off random Engrish, and it quickly becomes a running gag with me and anyone else who watches the series. Can't be helped, really. Even if it can seem disrespectful... it's just cute/funny hearing the words with such thick accents XD

Other than that... when I watch a certain series too much - and I think this goes for any television show I'd watch - I start using common words and phrases from certain characters. Sometimes, it's due to all of the characters as a whole if the dialog is just written with a certain flare. I'm easily influenced by others around me language-wise, so the more I hear something the more it sticks. I've been talking like Buffy the Vampire Slayer characters for years now... XP

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
I spout random Japanese at school a lot and tend to act all childish-like and add honorifics at the end of all of my friends' names.

Other than that, thanks to Hetalia, I've found myself running around, shouting "PASTA!!!" like an idiot and being overly-obsessed with the food. Also due to my obsession with Hetalia, I'm in love with saying random phrases from the anime version of it (translated into English, of course), and a friend and I always seem to role-play our favorite parts of it just for fun. We tend to get funny looks at times.

That role-playing thing also happens with the same friend with Bleach stuffs.

Also, while I was watching Tokyo Mew Mew, I kept saying "nya" at the end of all my sentences.

And now I try to mimic my favorite characters in Bleach by shouting out random Zanpakuto thingies or kido stuffs or something to my friends. Yes, they are annoyed of me at times when I do this.

You can tell I get obsessions easily, can't you? At the very least, I get hyper over stuffs. XD

LOL. I'm sure alot of us anime nerds use honorifics. I even call my girlfriend Autumn-chan sometimes. She doesn't mind though. My friends and I act out stuff from the Bobobo manga sometimes. I also got my love of ramen from Naruto.

I tend to turn everything into something more dramatic and cliche than it needs to be.. Yesterday I was in the store with my friend, and I wanted to leave.. I stuck my finger in the air and yelled "Let's go!", then felt like Ash. X_x

Well I'm a Deidara cosplayer and I do accidentally finding my self saying "hm" or "yeah" at the end of mine or other peoples sentences...oh and I sorta act like Tohru from Fruits Basket with my speech constantly doing that nervous laugh of hers,and what makes it worse is that my voice sounds exactly like hers XD

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
I've thought about this for a little while... and I honestly don't think I've picked up any traits, other than occasionally saying 'Hai!' instead of 'yes'

I do pull this face -> ^_^ sometimes when I'm smiling about something funny, but even though it is an anime face, I think I've picked up that habit from other people rather than a series.

Well in Bleach, I picked up Ishida's way of arranging his glasses. Also when I was about 4, I arranged my hair in a Hinata/Sasuke style and I had a tendency to draw whiskers on my face like Naruto, even though I had never heard of the show at that age. Also, last year, my hairstyle was very reminiscent of Itachi's hairstyle itself.

And I also used to say and type "misa" at the end of my sentences. Also when I'm completely freaked out or surprised, I use the same hand gestures like Ranma does in Ranma 1/2 (no, not THOSE hand gestures). Plus I twiddle my index fingers around with each other like Hinata used to, but mostly in boredom.

Psycho Monkey

Member of the Literary Elite Four
My hair naturally stands up and stick out in random directions like an anime characters. Even when wet it doesn't lay perfectly flat.

I also tend to say "Delete!" when crossing something out or deleting something like Mikami from Death Note.

There are otherthings I'm sure, but none are coming to mind right now.

I tend to turn everything into something more dramatic and cliche than it needs to be.. Yesterday I was in the store with my friend, and I wanted to leave.. I stuck my finger in the air and yelled "Let's go!", then felt like Ash. X_x

Lolz. I do he same thing, since I'm naturally dramatic I make SUCH a big fuss out of nothing because in the manga it looks like it's a bigger deal than it actually is. Such as screaming when someone steals my pen :p

I've done the exact same thing as well! But occasionally I'll end up doing that during times where it's even weirder.. like Study Hall in school...

I played Kingdom Hearts II far too much, and started standing with my hands back behind my head for a while, or overly exaggerating scratching my head while thinking about something.

I watched Naruto for a bit and picked up the dreaded, "Believe it!" phrase.

Also, I started spouting small Japanese words and phrases there for a while when I was watching Chobits. Great anime for picking up Japanese greetings and phrases.... "Hideki!"

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
The only notable anime traits I have are Deidara's "Hmph" at the end of his sentences, although I started doing that long before he ever appeared in the anime so I'm not sure if that really counts.

I think I've picked up Kyon's exasperated expression when Haruhi plans something ridiculous or offensive, such as molesting Mikuru. I also have the comical "anime rage" tendency that (usually female) characters have, which results in a lot of shouting, swearing etc. even though the anger I feel is usually grossly exaggerated on my part because....well, I think its funny.

My most notable two traits are actually from Captain Falcon. The first, most common one is that I usually perform his "Show me your moves!" salute when saying goodbye to someone - this has become an unbelievably frequent trait of mine now, so when I appear at the Manchester Tournament, expect to see it at least once. Also, the Captain's "YES!" quote has become my own as well - usually, when saying "YES" upon achieving something, I'll say it the exact same way Falcon does.

I've noticed latley that I've been doing Luxord's (from Organization XIII in Kingdom Hearts.) "thinking pose" as I call it. Here's a pic (link):
http://kh2.ffsky.cn/pic/char/13/luxord01.jpg I've been doing that for a long time....I can't remeber if I picked it up or not.

Yoshimitsu

Former Moderator
[quote author=Rain teh Tigurrr Tamer =D link=topic=5986.msg98730#msg98730 date=1241127286]

Lolz. I do he same thing, since I'm naturally dramatic I make SUCH a big fuss out of nothing because in the manga it looks like it's a bigger deal than it actually is. Such as screaming when someone steals my pen :p
[/quote]

If you did that around me, I'd slap you and tell you to sit down.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
[quote author=Linkachu link=topic=5986.msg98705#msg98705 date=1241111603]
[quote author=Surikizu Neko link=topic=5986.msg98703#msg98703 date=1241110451]
To be honest, I mostly act like a sane human being.

But you're a furry. There's nothing sane about it ;)
[/quote]

Says the so called Raichu... ;)
[/quote]

Never claimed to be sane myself ;)

Psycho Monkey

[quote author=Random-Hero link=topic=5986.msg99572#msg99572 date=1241670832]
[quote author=Linkachu link=topic=5986.msg98705#msg98705 date=1241111603]
[quote author=Surikizu Neko link=topic=5986.msg98703#msg98703 date=1241110451]
To be honest, I mostly act like a sane human being.

But you're a furry. There's nothing sane about it ;)
[/quote]

Says the so called Raichu... ;)
[/quote]

Never claimed to be sane myself ;)
[/quote]

Most of us 'Charms goers aren't. If anything, this topic proves it.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I'm sane.

That's denial speaking. You'll learn to accept yourself someday :)

Tbh, if we started talking about social stereo-types of normality as being 'sane' and acting otherwise as not... I'd rather be insane. XD

xD you guys.

Personally, I pick up on alot of things, and I mean ALOT of things so I'll name a few.

What attracts me to an anime is the violence and battles in it. I'll begin to dream of my own battles taking bits and pieces out of some battles and creating a whole entire badass battle with my own characters and plot.

Another habit I picked up is using some Japanese as an insult to others who don't know it. I usually just scream at random people random words in Japanese just to make them laugh.

My next habit is whenever I wear my reading glasses and someone starts talking to me, I whip them off all dramatic like and stare at the person with a serious look on my face then just say some cheesy anime line from some random episode of One piece/Berserk/Samurai Champloo or something just to get a laugh.

My last habit, which never came from anime, but most people do think it does, is my hair. Most people think I dyed my hair to black just to be like some random anime character I've never heard of before, and usually my hair is wild and untamed, they think I'ma anime fanboy, which I am, but a closeted one. xD

So those are some of my traits I picked up from anime.

I am a large guy, like Junpei in Digimon Frontier, I am a rough personality, like Masaru in Digimon Savers, I am very bright, like Koushiro in Digimon Adventure, I am a mystery, like Ken in Digimon Zero Two, and I am a born leader, like Takato in Digimon Tamers.

Yes, most of the anime I watch is Digimon (Japanese with English Subtitles).

If I were to have a Digimon Partner, I'd actually have TWO (since they'd be twins). Coronamon and Lunamon would be my two Digimon, representing my light side and my dark side.

If I were to be a certain personality trait of an anime character(s) it would be the "tsundere" ones. They tend to be my favourite characters in most series. Basically the term means somebody that is defensive and sometimes grouchy or mean on the outside that slips up and shows their caring personality . Wikipedia would also add: "describes a person with a conceited, spiky, combative personality that suddenly becomes modest and loving when triggered by some sort of cause (such as being alone with someone). It can also describe a personality that is good-willed, but its attitude and actions often contradict its nature." There are many interpretations. I just find them so interesting! Some examples would be Asuna from Negima, Akane from Ranma 1/2, Misty from Pokemon, Rosette from Chrno Crusade, etc. I find I associate with them the best.

Interestingly enough, I picked up my drawing style from The Slayers. I used to draw them a lot, and slowly my style changed into my own, though you can still see Shoko Yoshinaka's influence in my work.

By the way, I think I'm somewhere between sane and insane, more towards the latter. Life'd be boring otherwise! ^___^

Psycho Monkey

While playing baseball with my 4 year old cousin the other day, I found that when holding the bat I took Roxas/Sora's stance from the Kingdom Heart series by crouching and holding the bat out to the side.

I also run like a Shonen anime character by throwing my arms back and leaning forward so that I can attain my maximum speed.

I use to do that arm thing too. And I, of course, being the Kingdom Hearts freak I am, use Sora's stance..... And when I'm play fighting, I use Rock Lee's or Neji's fighting poses. I feel awkward when doing that, but at the same time it feels natural.

Just like a lot of others said I tend to make everything more dramatic than it is I also make dramatic facial expressions and movements. And I go into anime type rages when i'm pissed.