• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Animal Crossing DS

baratron

Moderator of Elder Scrolls
Staff member
North American? release date:
5th December.

If that's not a simultaneous European release, I'm certainly buying 2 copies on import (one for me & one for my friend Tim). Anyone else wanna join in the order?

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
December 5th... I heard that date a few weeks ago but it still sucks. What was the original release date in NA, October or something? It was definitely sooner than later. This sucks... I want my Animal Crossing and DS' online network! :(

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
That's understandable, and a fair title. Just tacking "DS" onto the end of the name was kinda bland and made it sound like a port.

Ok at first I never liked Animal Crossing but that all changed when I was watching my cousing play it. Suddenly I got HOOOOOOOKKKEDD and had to buy it. I'm now a fan of Animal Crossing and I'm soooooo getting the ds ones because you can go on the internet and go to peoples villages all across the world! plus they said there's going to be more animals, buildings and items oh I can't wait. In my GCN one my animals sometimes say Oh I want to move and see the world and blahblahblah but none of my other friends have this game so my animals are out of luck but with the DS one they can move anytime they want because of the internet connections.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
According to the ad at the back of the Nintendogs instruction booklet you can not only visit other towns over the net, but also live in the same town as your friends over the net. Previously I'd heard that fuction only work for close-range wireless connection so the ad could've been wrong... It'd be awesome if that worked, though. The Pokecharms town could live! ^__^

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Videos of the game were recently put up at IGN. I have yet to watch 'em myself, but I'll edit some comments in later. For now check 'em out for yourself:

http://media.ds.ign.com/media/682/682878/vids_1.html

EDIT: Only watched 4 minutes of the 55 meg video so far and already this game looks completely and utterly awesome. I'm starting to think the stuff I read about being able to actually live in a town with others over the online network is false, though... That sucks, but meh. Just being able to visit your friends real time is gonna rule.

EDIT x2: No more NES games to collect! :(

Heh... Ah well. I'll live without 'em ^^

Man, I WANT THIS GAME! O__O

Prof. Cinders

Mathemagician
Staff member
Administrator
At least you don't have to wait for a DS to actually play it on... Here's hoping I get one for christmas, which is looking more and more likely! And this game looks so great... *drools* *watches videos repeatedly*

(THIS COULD CONTAIN SPOILERS) ok so I got the game earlier then expected......... but there are a few things I need answers for first what is medicine for? second have read that the snowman other people have made likes them......well mine is in depression and third when I get nookingtons hopefully I'll have an internet hot spot because you can't get the salon without someone from another game buying something from nookingtons. Ok final two questions well ones a comment first I DO NOT have an internet hotspot because this computer is accualy a library one(we got rid of internet in the summer ......tear) and second is there any other way to have a internet hotspot without a computer? and don't give me flack if the answer is obvious. Please respond soon ^_^

SPOILERS.

Medicine is for curing bee stings. If you're stung by a bee, your face breaks out with some nasty bumps, and you'll scare your neighbours.

In order to make a happy snowman, you need to make it in perfect proportion. The bottom ball must be as large as possible, and the top one slightly smaller (but not TOO much smaller). If it's happy with its proportions, it'll give you expensive gifts and rare paper.

There are three ways to go online: one is with a wireless router in your home that makes your high-speed internet wireless. The second is with a Nintendo Wi-Fi USB Connector which takes your high-speed internet and transmits a wireless signal that only the DS can recognize (you'll need Windows XP, as well). The third is to visit a hotspot: someplace that has wireless internet for you to use (like many coffee shops, internet cafés, etc.).

Last edited by a moderator:

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Unless you're going to a Nintendo endorsed Hotspot, you will need a laptop with you to connect if you go to places like Starbucks etc where you have to pay to connect to the WiFi.

You can wander around looking for open Access Points though - chances are if any of your neighbours has a Wireless Network that they haven't secured it and you can just as easily hi-jack it.

I know ours isn't secured because it fucked up access for my DS, PSP and Compy but most people with Routers that aren't documented almost completely in Chinese will lock them up if they have any tech skills at all.

It's trial-and-error basically.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Well, it might not have been locked.

I'll simplify it:

If you need to pay to access a WiFi hotspot - you need a laptop to activate it and presumably the DS dongle.

Otherwise, so long as the Access Point isn't locked/protected, you should be able to get on no problem.

...also: Me wants to visit other towns.... :(

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
QuagsireQing said:
SPOILERS.

Medicine is for curing bee stings. If you're stung by a bee, your face breaks out with some nasty bumps, and you'll scare your neighbours.

You can also give it to your town folk who get sick, though I'm not sure what good it does you as of yet. One of my guys has been sick for two days now and I've given him Medicine twice. Still no gift in return or anything :(

I want to visit other towns, too... Too bad I forgot my installation CD for my USB Connector. If not at this hotel (does China even have access to the WFC?), I would've been able to log onto the network the night we stay in a Toronto hotel. Other than that there'll be no online play for me until I return to Uni in January ;__;

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
OK, first impressions:

I find Animal Crossing....... interesting.

Tech-wise, the game's well designed. The rolling world physics work wonders and somehow the very small town-space feels a lot larger because of it. The camera, however, is annoying - in that it cannot be adjusted. Why? I can't see what I'm supposed to be doing past all these damned Trees half the time, it's a severe pain in the rear.

Also annoying are the controls. The Touch functions are well done, but impossible to use constantly. The buttons work well for moving etc but selecting Items etc demands Touch Screen use. Yet you can't simply interchange, the game stops dead for about 1-2 seconds while it changes the control method. Considering Advance Wars managed to use both completely in full co-existence with no such nonsense it's very annoying and disappointing.

Again, on the annoying point is the amount of people that you get moving into your Town. Seriously, I lost track after it got past 4, I don't think I've even met the last 2 that moved in once.

Furthermore, the time aspect annoys me. Very much. My inability to find time to play games during the morning or afternoon means that I only get to play at night and you can't find any bugs during that time, you get moaned at by all the little buggers for being up so late and don't get all the apples and therefore lose opportunities to make money. Not to mention missing out on events going on during the afternoon if there are any.

More complaints have to lie in the fact that THE LITTLE BASTARDS DON'T SHUT UP. You talk to them to either buy, sell or blag something from them and in the process often have to go through about 3 minutes of useless pap before you finally get to a menu. I really couldn't give a damn about whether the Skunk and Mule aren't getting on, I just want to get my damn freebies. Not to mention the EVIL that is Tom Nook.

Trying out all the functions you can do with stuff like the Shovel etc is pretty nifty and designing your own patterns for a nicely wide ranging amount of things is also cool. My Psyduck pattern PWNZ ALL.

Surprisingly, getting items and building up your own little Mansion is fun at the moment. Although, the items that actually do something are generally the only one's i'm interested in. Not that I seem to be able to buy any new ones at all, the guy that sold furniture appears to have pissed off.

Overall it's ok. But it certainly ISN'T the 99% game that people claim it to be. I'd find it a hard time to even give this 80%. At best it's a cute life sim that you'll soon bore of for a more action packed, more entertaining game.

I want to go online, but NO-ONE has given out their damn Friend Codes for it, so I'm stuck pottering around trying to make some cash so I can pay off my mortgages. The online system in AC is definitely more flawed than MK DS. If I could connect to litterally anyone in MK, why am I unable to in AC? Surely it'd make more sense to be able to go find new people to meet in AC as it would open up a world-wide trading market for it.

Nintendogs is a better game than AC WW, I haven't touched it since October. If AC WW manages to last out the Xmas Hols (with Emerald AND Sonic Rush being it's competition) I'd be very surprised. It can only hope that it's online functions will eventually save it.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I'd say the reason why you can't connect to random people like MKDS is because they could trash your town. That's something I totally agree with personally. I don't want idiots getting in and ruining my flowerbeds/cutting down my trees/littering the area/etc. Anyone who does will DIE HORRIBLY :p

The camera angle thing has been bugging me too. It almost seems worse this time 'round because I can't find all the fossils to dig up each day :(

If you can't play the game at certain times of day it would be a bother, though I seem to be able to make the time. It's much, MUCH easier now since it's handheld. Plus, since there are year-round events you would keep playing if you want to collect everything. But guess that depends on you. Even when I'm playing other games I'll still probably be playing AC every few days. It has much more to it than Nintendogs IMO.

For the amount I've played AC WW in just a week compared to everything else I own on DS I'd definitely give it a 85-90%. If it can keep me occupied for near 4+ hours a day (not all in one stretch mind you) when things like Kirby only could for a half hour it's doing something right.