• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

An Ode to Epic

Oh epic, with your meanings and contexts,
Perverted through the years to many effects,
What was your meaning, so very long ago?
Has our culture forgotten it through a grammatical embargo?

Epic, long lasting and intense.
Epic, so cool does make sense?

Not so long ago it was used for empires and kings,
But now reduced to pretty artworks and things.
Once a title of true honor, dignity, and respect,
Now a word for "nice" we just select.

Epic, beautiful, heroic, honest.
Epic, nice, good, my brain is at a rest.

The use of the word epic has been sadly diminished,
And this word proves that our culture's grammar is finished.
To attach this word to things that are shortlived should be a crime,
But some words just cannot stand up against the tides of time.

A brief explanation is required here. Maybe I'm being a bit too grammar nazi-tastic as of late, but the culturally acceptable definition of "epic" reallly bothers me. The fact that it is now in the same boat as words like "cool", "nice", and "good" really bothers me. So much so, that I decided to put my strange views into poem-format.

As for the tone of this poem, it can go either way, really. I'm serious about how irritated the word epic and its uses bother me, but I suppose if you're direly attached to its use, you can go ahead and use it like you do. Either way.

To use the word properly - That poem was epic, meaning of course impressive, powerful and its synonyms. Really well written, Kal.

Nice regular structure you have, and I think it put your point across clearly :)

I suppose if I just posted

"that was EPIC KAL!!!!!!" I'd probably get myself in trouble. Not sure from who. But I wouldn't doubt it.

Also, it was interesting. Not too sure how I feel about it, but your writing style is rather nifty. : D

Wow. This really made me think about how I use that word.

Kal, I shall start an effort to not use the word 'epic' in the wrong context/meaning again.

In addition, your style is just sweet.

Psycho Monkey

Member of the Literary Elite Four
Great writting there Kal.

I'll try to be a good monkey and use epic apropriately, but I won't make any promises as it is usually the first word to pop into my head when I'm mentally stimulated.

Sir Red

Charms' Caped Crusader
I don't know much about poetry, but that was great. And I totally get your point. I too, get greatly annoyed when society takes a word that once had to do with grace and intelligence and makes it the fad of the month.

Kudos on a job well done, Kalseng.