• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

DPPt/HGSS An Emerald Team! Yay!

Yoshimitsu

Former Moderator
Yay!

Yeah, I've played through the game once and scraped wins where I need to, but now I'm trying to get a PERFECT team. For me anyway. Here are my pokemon so far:

Combusken (Will be Blaziken), Marshtomp (Will be Swampert), Medicham, Skarmory, Shuppet (Will be Bannette) and Aron (Will be Aggron)

If someone can tell me what the natures do for my pokemon, I'd love them forever

I was thinking something like this:

Blaziken@Shell Bell/Black Belt
Gentle
Blaze

Flamethrower
Slash/Strength
Sky Uppercut
Bulk Up

Pretty boring, but I want that Sky Upper/Bulk Up combo. Flamethrower's just a fun move that got bred in.

Swampert@Mystic Water/Soft Sand
Quirky
Torrent

Surf
Ice Beam
Earthquake
???

Surf and EQ for Stab, Ice Beam because it suits Swampert, and another move. Any thoughts?

Medicham@Leftovers?
Jolly
Pure Power

Fire Punch
Psychic
Hi Jump Kick/Brick BReak
Calm Mind

Calm Mind for the special moves, Pure Power ups the fighting move.

Aggron@???
???
Rock Head

Double Edge
Iron Tail
Iron Defense
Rock Tomb?

Double-Edge for sheer power, and Rock Head covers that. Iron Tail for STAB. Iron Defense to turn it into a wall.

And that's all I've got so far. Any thoughts?

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Are you guys actually going to reply to the topic? It's one thing to joke, but at least include a meaningful post with it *pokes Damien*. Same goes to you, Shadow Phoenix :p

Btw - did you have moveset ideas for any of your other Pokemon?

Anyways, comments off the top of my head:

I personally like Rock Slide on Blaziken, and with Bulk Up it'd actually do what it's meant to do, but if you do end up going with a Normal-type move for it DON'T give it Strength. That's a lack-luster attack compared to some of the other 100% accuracy Normal-type attacks like Body Slam or a fully-powered Return. Strength is nice ingame when you have nothing else to go over it but it's not worth using in competitive battling IMO. There's just always something better.

My Swampert knows Mirror Coat as its last attack (which works pretty good) but since I doubt you'll go back and breed it on... I'd suggest Brick Break but a STAB'd EQ will do the same amount as a super effective Brick Break attack. The only advantage BB would have would be on Pokemon like Sneasel, and how often does that happen? ... How's your Swampert's attack stat compare to its special attack? Rock Slide may be beneficial to take down Flyers more effectively than Ice Beam. Counter maybe? Really not sure what to suggest. /rambling

I'd personally choose Brick Break over Hi Jump Kick on Medicham. Hi Jump Kick may have a bit of extra power but it seems too problematic.

Anyways... I know you want a "perfect" team, but I can see problems in the future of a team consisting of Medicham, Banette, and Cacturne. While they can all be great Pokemon their defences lack, and one powerful tank could probably take them all down quite easily. But we've had this dicussion before, and I know your feelings. I've just never really seen any of those Pokemon take hits very well.

Yoshimitsu

Former Moderator
Medicham has good defenses. Or mine does anyway. It's defense is about 10/20 points higher than its attack. And change Fire Punch to Thunder Punch on Medicham.

Other movesets for pokemon:

Bannette... is a hard pokemon. Shadow Ball and other physical moves suit her, but I can't really think of a brilliant moveset. There are movsets that work, but aren't that special.

Cacturne's attacks are pretty high, so I was gonna go for STAB, Sandstorm (Sandviel ability) and something else.

Anyways... I know you want a "perfect" team, but I can see problems in the future of a team consisting of Medicham, Banette, and Cacturne. While they can all be great Pokemon their defences lack, and one powerful tank could probably take them all down quite easily. But we've had this dicussion before, and I know your feelings. I've just never really seen any of those Pokemon take hits very well.

It depends on that tank's moves and type, really. Umbreon'd go down to one or two good hits from Medicham, for example. Half of the 'tanks' have major weaknesses. And besides, apart from the Frontier Brains, how many Tanks are in the game?

...Watch someone go and prove me horribly wrong now :p

Don't insult me half-wit, close your mouth lest mine own shalt open and release forth a barrage of insults the likes of which you have never seen.

As for the pokemon moves.....I'll get back to you XD I'll edit something in tomorrow ^^

Yoshimitsu

Former Moderator
On a random note, my team has changed! Yay!

On a slightly less enthusiastic note, it's been changed into Ludicolo and Armaldo instead of Swampert and Cacturne.

Any ideas? Breeding moves are out of the question, though.

baratron

Moderator of Elder Scrolls
Staff member
This is probably way too late to be useful, but never mind, eh? For Ludicolo, I'll just cut & paste from my all-Grass team :D.

Ludicolo @Leftovers - WATER/GRASS
Tank that can also do BIG damage if necessary. Rain Dish ability - restores HP during rain.
Weaknessess: 2x vulnerable to Poison, Flying, Bug;
Strengths: 0.5x vulnerable to Ground, Steel.

1. Rain Dance - POWER UP - goes splendidly with either of Ludicolo's abilities.
2. Hydro Pump - WATER. ok, accuracy is only 80 - but power 120 x 1.5 STAB x 1.5 Rain = power 270. W00t.
3. Giga Drain - GRASS. Let's just sit here absorbing HP from the foe.
4. Something that'll help with tanking. Rest / Leech Seed / Protect / Double Team... I'm undecided.
OR Ice Beam - ICE attack, useful against Flying foes.

What do I have on my Armaldo? errrr....

Armaldo - ROCK/BUG
Battle Armor ability - prevents enemy scoring a Critical Hit
Weaknesses:2 x vulnerable to Water, Rock (!), Steel
Strengths: 0.5 x vulnerable to Normal, Poison

1. Ancientpower - ROCK. Power 90 with STAB, and 10% chance of boosting all stats. Amazing. Use PP UPs picked up by your local friendly Linoone or Zigzagoon to boost it to 8 PP.
2. Slash / Body Slam - NORMAL. Slash has power 70, but a high Critical Hit ratio. It's also a naturally-learned move. Body Slam has power 85, but requires a Move Tutor.
3. Earthquake - GROUND / Brick Break - FIGHTING. See below.
4. Brick Break - FIGHTING / Iron Tail - STEEL / Double Team / Substitute / Swords Dance / Toxic. Terminal indecisiveness here, depending on what moves you have on the rest of your team.

A Ground or Fighting attack is essential to help with the Rock and Steel vulnerabilities. Obviously EQ is more powerful than Brick Break, but BB also destroys barriers - so it depends who you're going to be using it against. Or put both on :p. There's no helping the Water one, as Armaldo can't learn any Grass or Electric attacks.