• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Alolan Rattata and Signature Z-Moves Revealed in 3DS Direct

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
SnorlaxZ_fix_RGB_300dpi.png

Today's Nintendo 3DS Direct had a short snippet of Sun and Moon info, and revealed two tidbits of information: Alolan Rattata, and Pokémon-specific Z-Moves. Info has also been revealed about the first distribution for Pokémon Sun and Moon, which will go live at launch.

The first reveal of the day is a regional variant of everyone's favourite top-percentage Pokémon: Alolan Rattata.

A_Rattata_RGB_300dpi.png
Alolan Rattata
[type]Dark[/type][type]Normal[/type]
Height: 1'0"
Weight: 8.4 lbs.
Abilities: Gluttony/Hustle
Unlike ordinary Rattata, urban areas are Alolan Rattata’s main habitat. They are nocturnal and live in nests of several dozen. Alolan Rattata have an excellent aptitude for sniffing out delicious fresh foods in Alola. They pay no attention to foods that aren’t fresh. Alolan Raticate serve as their boss.​
Next up is the first distribution for Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon: Munchlax. The Munchlax is available to all Pokémon players who buy Sun or Moon before 11th January 2017, and has two special characteristics.

Munchlax_RGB_300dpi.png
Munchlax

[type]Normal[/type]
Height: 2′0″
Weight: 231.5 lbs.
Abilities: Pickup / Thick Fat
Hold Item: Snorlium Z​

The first is its moveset: this Munchlax knows two special moves, Hold Back and Happy Hour. Hold Back, like False Swipe, is a damaging move that is guaranteed to leave the enemy with at least 1HP, making it ideal for catching weaker Pokémon. Happy Hour, on the other hand, doubles the prize money you get after a battle.

slider-snorlax.jpg slider-p05_02_en.jpg

Evolving Munchlax into Snorlax unlocks its other special characteristic: It can use Snorlium Z, a hold item that Munchlax will be carrying when you receive it. Snorlium Z allows Snorlax to use a unique Z-Move that only it can learn: Pulverising Pancake, a [type]Normal[/type]-type Z-Move.

Screen Shot 2016-09-01 at 5.39.25 pm.png

Lastly, Alolan Raichu also gets a signature Z-Move: Stoked Sparksurfer.

That's all for today. Let us know what you think of the new reveals in the comments!

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
PULVERIZING PANCAKE. What a name. I love it so much haha XD It's so silly but also god damn, I don't want that ever happening to me... Stoked Sparksurfer isn't as snazzy a name but that animation of Raichu surfing away after demolishing the Aerodactyl... teehee. ♥

Glad Raichu's finally getting some love after being overshadowed by Pikachu all the time~ And Alola Raichu's design is starting to grow on me. ^^;

I'm so torn over Alolan Rattata. While I love its Dark typing & new design, they just ended up making it even weaker to Fighting types than it already is

Also, I feel like I need to get this Munchlax for obvious reason :p

RISE

Very cool although it looks more and more like Z-moves are replacing Mega pokemon as the mechanic for this gen and that Alola forms might be restricted to Kanto pokemon only.

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
I really like Alolan Rattata, the typing really suits it and I really like the colouring.

The animation for Snorlax was amazing! I can't wait to get myself a little Munchlax too ♥

Psycho Monkey

Member of the Literary Elite Four
Alolan Rattata is amazing! I just can't get over that mustache! XD So it took Snorlax six generations to finally stand up if you look at its sprites/models and seven generations to unleash untold devastation. Regrettably I only use new Pokemon on my first playthrough of a new generation so Munchlax will have to be boxed until I beat the game. I now wonder if unique Z-Moves will vary by every species or if only a few will have a special move.

That Alolan Rattata is pretty sweet, but by Arceus.
That Snorlax.
Pulverising Pancake is by far the most beautiful thing I've ever seen.

I really don't want to use Z-Moves in favor of Mega Evolution, but I swear the only one I'm ever using is Stoked Sparksurfer because it's amazing.

Oh my. Pulverizing Pancake. I'm not sure if I want to have breakfast now.

Love this! Can't wait to get Pokémon Moon and get that awesome Munchlax! Also, I wonder what Alolan Raticate looks like? The moustache is amazing, BTW, love that new addition, Rattata.