• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Alolan Destinations (Location Appreciation Thread)

So, most of us have had plenty opportunity to explore the islands of Alola. What are your favourite destinations in the new Alola Region? Any interesting thoughts about other places? Any place your didn't like at all? If you can put your two feet on it, bring it up here.

My personal favourite place is probably the Thrifty Megamart ruins. I love the backstory of how Tapu Bulu destroyed it, and a whole bunch of ghost pokemon move in; it's very different from the usual ghost hang-outs we've seen in the games, some of them have already appeared on earlier islands. And the trial that happens here is also one of my favourites, right behind the Wela Volcano trial. I haven't actually been back in since that trial, but I am going to enjoy coming back for a Mimmikyu.

My favourite town is Malie City, because of the amazingly stunning garden and the Johto origins, even though Akala island had a city that also had johto origins, so I was wondering what the point of mentioning it on Akala, when that island reminds me more of Hoenn than Johto. My second favorite is Po Town, because it looked like a very modern cul-de-sac. And then Team Skull moved in, and it's so fun ducking and weaving through the obstacles and seeing all the graffiti and mess that a town full of delinquents would do to their own living space.

Something I do have to gripe about though is how little impact most of the towns had overall. Most of them I still can't recall by name, and still refer to as "the town with the incense" or "The Tapu Oasis" instead of what they're actually called. I even had to look up what Malie Town's name was because I never really noticed, I just called it "the Johto Garden Town". This is a first for me, and I think it's a side-effect of how the game progression has changed. Gyms are usually stationed in towns and cities, and formed the majority of the reason to visit these places. Since all the action now takes place outside of towns, when it comes to towns, you're literally just passing through, and will only be heading back if you need to stock supplies or if the game directs you back to go another way that was previously blocked (I'm looking at you Stoutland). Maybe I just need time for the towns to better grow on me, the move deleter might help. The move reminder won't though, because she's been camping on the peak of a mountain for some reason.

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
I find myself constantly going back to Malie and each time it kinda just feels like home to me. The architecture is quite elegant (if that's the right word for it) and I love the garden as well. Easily my favorite town/city in all of Alola.

The little area in Ten Carat Hill with all the grass and stuff is also a nice place to be; it's just very aesthetically pleasant and if it existed in real life, it would definitely be my go-to place to just sit around.

Something I do have to gripe about though is how little impact most of the towns had overall. Most of them I still can't recall by name, and still refer to as "the town with the incense" or "The Tapu Oasis" instead of what they're actually called.

I second this, almost all of the towns were super unmemorable, and I feel this is partially due to the less distinctive aesthetics. I mean, yeah, having a giant Japanese garden kind of cool, and Paniola Town kinda stands out (but you spend so little time there it really doesn't leave much of an impact), but just compare them to previous towns. Laverre City looks like you've walked into a fairytale, Fortree City is an entire city built in the trees which is freaking cool, Mistralton City has the airport... Of course not all towns have that, but it feels with each generation they've ramped up the gimmick of each town (XY in particular had very memorable cities - its like the one thing I can give that game praise for), so you really notice it when its toned down. Having said that, the lack of gyms probably doesn't help.

However I feel there is one exception to all of this. Po Town is easily my favourite town. Its got this super memorable aesthetic thanks to Team Skull being so distinctive in the Pokemon Universe. I love that the place is trashed, covered in graffiti and constantly in the pouring rain. Not only that, but the whole place says a lot about Team Skull. They come across as wanting to rebel against the hierarchy and traditions of Alola, but Po Town proves that they really don't have any idea of what to do beyond mindless rebellion, solidifying just how pathetic they really are. Its freaking awesome.

Another place I love is Mount Hokulani. I'm a total sucker for mountains in real life, and I really appreciate how high they made the place feel. Looking over the edge is pretty awesome, and I love the misty effects used. But what really makes it stand out is that its a mountain in a Pokemon game that isn't covered in snow, and isn't a volcano. Plus the vegetation and general colour of the place really reminded me of the mountains in Australia, so I felt completely at home there. Just wish there was more of it really.

Last thing that really stood out was Route 14 with all of its black sand, torn up road, and the Thrifty Megamart. I'm really just a sucker for damaged or abandoned settlements though, which again explains why I like Po Town so much. One little detail I really love about the place though is how Sandygast's shiny references the black sand - its a really nice detail. But the environments in Sun and Moon outside of the cities are all really cool, and I could spend ages raving about most of them.

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
Looking over the edge is pretty awesome

Unless you're scared of heights like me; I actually had to get my friend to go across some of the bridges for me because I was just that freaked out. It is very cool and I appreciate how grand Mount Hokulani felt, and its name meaning Heavenly Star (literally star+sky but yeah) made me love it a lot more~ I just. Can't do heights. At all. Nope.