• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Ask to Join Alola World Festival [Discussion]

How should we battle?

• Pokemon Showdown

Votes: 22 47.8%
  • Roleplay it out

Votes: 24 52.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Name: Zofera
Hometown: Lavaridge City, Hoenn (Kind of)
Appearance: Standing at 5’4” Zofera appears quite plain. Tanned from all her time spent wandering outside, freckles dot her face going over a small nose and thin lips. Her eyes are rounded and a greenish-blue in color. Her hair is a light brown, and long enough to reach the bottom of her back when let down, though it is typically kept in a braid at this point in time. Her form is thin, though not unhealthily skinny as it once was, and it’s clear that there is strength in her limbs. Her typical outfit is incredibly simple, consisting of pairs of jeans, all of which are heavily faded from their use, and plain white T-shirts that often have rips in one place or another with a pair of heavy, brown leather boots that are covered in various patches. She also has a light grey hooded jacket that she modified slightly so that she can store her pokeballs in it. For this reason, the jacket is hardly removed from her person. Finally, more recently she purchased a plain black backpack that she stores her other goods and medicines that she may need in, “beep beep.”

Personality: Around people that she does not know, Zofera has a tendency to be very cautious due to her upbringing. Once you get to know her, she is quite friendly however and this is especially true in regards to pokemon. She’s forged a path for herself, leading to her being a bit stubborn and at times headstrong in pursuing her interests.

Backstory: Zofera’s story was, for quite some time, not a kind one. Growing up in an abusive household, Zofera ran from home at the age of 10, fleeing as far as she could. Through sheer dumb luck, she was able to hold her own despite her circumstances. As she ran, she finally came to a stop on Route 120 outside of Fortree City and passed out exhausted in the rain. It was here that she met and befriended her first two pokemon, an Eevee who she named Eileen, and an Absol who she named Umbra. The two dragged her out of the rain, and ensured that she was able to keep going, seeing her state of distress, which the two found familiar to themselves.

Following that experience, Zofera and her two partners started on the move again, though her situation still wasn’t much better. As she continued moving through the region of Hoenn, she came to the conclusion that if she could battle and win, potentially she could make her situation better. It took time, but eventually managed to get herself up off the ground and ensure her safety in the life ahead of her.

She’s been around the world, at first out of necessity and fear that she may have been found but later after the feeling of moving simply became natural. All in all, she’s been through parts of Sinnoh, Unova, Alola, Hoenn, and for a brief time, even the region of Almia. Her badge count varies from region to region on account of her typically battling for financial reasons, though she has beaten every gym in the Hoenn region at this point.

Now in Alola, Zofera is here to see her brother, who set up in the region with semi-permanent residence outside of his job. For the longest time, she wasn’t even aware her brother was alive, though after meeting him back when she was 19 and him 14, the two became incredibly close, talking often. Wanting to surprise him, she didn’t warn him of her arrival, and as such ended up coming to an empty house. Hearing about the tournament, she figured that it would be a good place to start looking for him.

Other: Zofera loves food. A lot. With her past, she was often hungry and without anything to eat for days at a time, leading to appreciating pretty much anything she can get even now. It’s quite possibly the best way to get her to agree to a calm and casual conversation. (As a side note, it is unlikely that her brother will actually play a part in this RP)

Species: Glaceon
Name: Eileen
Ability: Snow Cloak
Movelist: Hail, Blizzard, Signal Beam, Wish
Summary: She and Umbra found Zofera when she was passed out in the rain. The two collectively saved her, and made a decision to stick with her from that point on. She is incredibly calm, and surprisingly sneaky when she wants to be, something that has proven to be incredibly valuable in battle.

Species: Absol
Name: Umbra
Ability: Super Luck
Movelist: Night Slash, Zen Headbutt, Double Team, Perish Song
Summary: Her story of how she joined Zofera is tied with Eileen. Umbra is often motherly, taking care of and desiring to help those who are hurt. She is willing to put herself on the line completely to help others.

Species: Mawile
Name: Leanne
Ability: Sheer Force
Movelist: Iron Head, Play Rough, Stone Edge, Iron Defense
Summary: While journeying through Hoenn, Zofera entered Granite Cave and met Leanne, who she fought and subsequently captured. Leanne is quite prideful, and ready for a challenge. That said, she is also a bit of a sore loser, the most obvious case of this was when for quite some time after being caught, she still refused to listen to Zofera’s orders. After some time, the two patched that up, and now share a strong bond.

Species: Claydol
Name: Augen
Ability: Levitate
Movelist: Earth Power, Calm Mind, Psybeam, Teleport
Summary: 3 Years into her now “official” journey, Zofera entered the desert on route 111, and while traversing through it, came across an injured Baltoy. After saving it and having the pokemon center heal it back to health, the Baltoy decided to join her team. Augen is the main source of transport nowadays, and while his appearance makes it hard to read, he is often curious and has a strong desire to see new places.

Species: Magnezone
Name: Locke
Ability: Analytic
Movelist: Lock-On, Flash Cannon, Zap Cannon, Tri-Attack
Summary: At the age of 16, Zofera had found her way to Sinnoh. While exploring the Fuego Ironworks she found, battled, and captured Locke. The, at the time, Magnemite appreciated her strategy, and knew right away that he would be happy traveling with her. In truth, Locke is somewhat cold and distant, preferring to watch from afar than actively participate in things. When in battle though, Locke is a big help when on the field, due to his ability analytic that blends with his observational style.

Species: Samurott
Name: Akua
Ability: Shell Armor
Movelist: Razor Shell, Megahorn, Ice Beam, Hydro Cannon
Summary: At 18, Zofera had journeyed Unova, where in Castelia City, she found an escaped and frightened Oshawott. She’d heard of one missing from the Juniper Lab in Nuvema Town, and took it back. The two bonded on the way, and Professor Juniper upon seeing it, decided to allow her to keep him. Akua has grown into a pokemon that fights fair, even if the strategies are a bit odd. He is a kind pokemon who’s interests lie largely in helping others.

Well...I think that's everything? Let me know if anything's missing though!

I give people permission to bunny Colress/Seven/Gladion into the Gym proper if it progresses stuff, since I plan to sleep soon and probably won't be around to respond until mid-day tomorrow.

Sorry for the weird post that doesn't really have much of a bearing on the actual plot. Just wanted some meat in the post. If it's confusing I can tweak it, but for now I'm tired (It's 2 in the morning where I live right now) so I'm gonna leave it as it is for now.

You'd have quite the disadvantage XD just saying. Your Pokemon will be essentially wild and they won't be trained up as much as the other trainers' Pokemon. Doesn't your character have Pokemon somewhere else they could bring over? Ones that are more experienced and will help give your character an edge in battle?

@DoggoKing did you get your mega gardevoir approved by an admin? if not, PLEASE remove it. i really do not want this RP locked considering how far we've gotten into it.

EDIT: not to mention, I said no megas at the very, very beginning of my first post. "-No Legendaries and/or Megas, even if you have permission." so even if you did get it approved, i'm going to have to ask you to either choose another pokemon or swap items.

ok this is some VITAL information. I have the bracket with both Character names and Usernames here, as well as the teams everyone is going to use, just so everyone has a reference. If you need me to update something like your team, please tell me.

5VLkYP3.png

minus the fancy TV effects so everyone can see clearly

1yUTDfe.jpg

as of right now, VolcanoPheonix, Master_Ruben, and Rohan Kishibe have all opted out. this means that Atlas, Gerald, and Colress will automatically advance to the next round once their battle is up.

HOW THINGS ARE GOING TO WORK:

IF YOU PLAN ON RPING A BATTLE:
-I will ping both trainers involved. If a trainer does not respond in 48 hours after I ping them, whoever is active will move on. If both trainers do not reply, neither will go on and the battle will be considered a "draw".
-In the case that both trainers can easily agree on how the battle will be played out, what Pokemon will be used, and who will win, I trust you both enough to execute it well and be fair with one another. You will not need to PM me about anything, aside from who will win.
-If not, PLEASE PM ME THE THREE POKEMON YOU WILL BE USING FOR THE BATTLE BEFORE EITHER OF YOU START. This way I can make sure nobody is lying, or is taking advantage of the other person replying first and sending out a Pokemon that can counter it.
-If neither party can decide on a winner, I will host a poll here and let the other roleplayers decide who wins.
-In the event that your partner does not respond, please still at least write a paragraph for filler detailing what happens. Something along the lines of. "It was a close battle, but (Name) had eventually beaten (Pokemon) and won.", etc. Make it something NOT open-ended, that would NOT require a reply by the other person. (Basically timeskip is what im asking you to do.)

IF YOU PLAN ON USING SHOWDOWN:
-Make sure the person you're battling agrees to using showdown.
-Since I still want to follow the rules established in the RP, the formatting will be as follows:
Gen 7 Anything Goes
Set all Pokemon to level 100 (Or not, if you want a disadvantage.)
Your team will be A SINGLE POKEMON. NOT THREE. BUT YOU WILL USE THREE. This is to avoid, as Kukui said, a weakened Pokemon going up against one at full-health.
ZAD7Ay1.png
They will still follow the rule of 3v3, first to two. You will battle with one Pokemon at a time, and whoever gets to two points first wins.
-PM ME THE REPLAYS ONCE YOU ARE DONE.
-You will still have to roleplay out the battle, just so everyone else knows what happened, and we have actual content in the RP. Use the Showdown battles as a basis for what you need to write and reflect what happened in those battles.

i know this is a lot to take in all at once but trust me, it's a pretty solid method.

Last edited:
Sorry for the double post, but since the bracket is officially up, that means i need to ping the first two players.

@Pretty Pichu (though I know your situation atm and considering how active you are its basically a given that you'll be battling lol)
@EnderTheFox

If I don't get a reply in 48 hours, whoever is active will automatically advance to the next round.

You're not required to immediately go out into the arena and start battling, btw. You'll have about an hour (of In-RP time) to allow your character to get ready and warmed up and finish whatever character interactions you may have.

for the battle, yes. but you are allowed to use any combination of 3 from your full team, and you're allowed to switch pokemon inbetween your battles.

Example: Atty uses Weavile, Primarina, and Roserade in one of her battles. She advances to the next stage, and decides to use Golisopod, Scizor, and Weavile again, but this time going last. this is 100% allowed.