• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Ask to Join Alola World Festival [Discussion]

How should we battle?

• Pokemon Showdown

Votes: 22 47.8%
  • Roleplay it out

Votes: 24 52.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Alright, given how it's my turn I'm gonna try and get my battle up by tomorrow. I wrote up 1/2 of it, but now want to rewrite it because it was rather boring :p I don't have much homework so I'm aiming to finish at least a good portion of it tonight.

I actually don't know where Jackson is anymore.
Due to my persistent inactivity, I am 100% sure that Jackson has missed all of the big events.
Based off of time constraints Jackson (might/might of) miss/missed his battle too.
So I don't think I would actually be able to continue the RP, based off of how much I've missed.

I might give myself some time to think about this. But I don't think I can honestly make time for charms.

Sorry Kiddos

EnigmaticMissingNo.

Previously McGlitchy
Hey so um... would it still be possible for me continue on?

My character got stuck in a Pokemon battle with Cryronn the Mudkip's character, so I wasn't too sure how to keep going. If I've read everything correctly, battles for the day have concluded within the RP and it's a good time for spectators to go interact with the other characters in the festival.

AHAHAHA why did I do this it's 4 am
Name: Cecilia Heart
Hometown: Azalea Town , Johto(Former), No Current Consistent place of residence
Appearance: Cecilia is a pale woman (despite spending almost all of her early life outside, and still being out often enough now) with green eyes and a small 5’2” frame, though years of working with pokemon has ensured that there is visible muscle practically anywhere one might care to look. She is average in most senses of the word, with (now) shoulder length, straight, naturally blonde hair, though currently it is dyed black. She has also placed grey contacts into her eyes in order to further change her appearance. For clothing she is wearing a simple pair of dark blue jean shorts, a tie-dye t-shirt, and a pair of white tennis shoes that she managed to “procure” from a Malie City shop.

Personality: Cecilia has long chosen beliefs that she is far too stubborn to change. She is also someone who is a problem solver, and is quite determined in her efforts. Gentle at heart, but willing to go to any lengths regardless of how terrible to complete her goals, some might see her drive as something remarkable, while others may see it only as something to be afraid of.

Backstory: It was in quiet Azalea town that Cecilia Heart was born and raised. Her parents were both pokemon breeders who truly loved and appreciated what they did, and the pokemon that they were constantly caring for. To that effect, Cecilia spent practically her entire childhood around baby pokemon and pokemon eggs. She hated to see pokemon get hurt, especially in meaningless battles only meant for entertainment and money, yet she could also see that in many cases it helped strengthen the bond between people and pokemon, leaving her torn between whether to hate battling, or to appreciate it and what its ability to bring everyone together.

In the end, she found a middle ground, realizing that in order to truly get better and improve the bonds that one shares with their pokemon, some battling would have to be done. She came to this realization after she’d been presented with two eggs that her parents told her were officially hers. Apparently the trainer that had left their pokemon with them was in a rough spot, and unable to care for them. She was nervous but also excited about this new opportunity. When the two hatched, it was at nearly the exact same time, revealing a Magby and an Elekid, which she named Heizung and Leistung respectively.

It was years later, as she continued to assist her parents that she was given another egg, but by this time, something else had begun to arise, and though she still took care of the egg, she quickly found it to be more challenging than the other two. Witnessing terror after terror in a society where people stood back and did nothing, Cecilia learned of a group striving to make a real change. And from what she saw, they were effective at it too. As she made to meet its members, difficult as they were to find, her new egg hatched, revealing itself to be a Zorua, and a shiny one at that. She fittingly named it Lila, and it became a new member of her team.

Now working for this shadowy group, Cecilia found herself dedicating more time being sent from place to place, region to region on various orders and requests. This was how she picked up her final pokemon, an Ice Type Vulpix, in the region of Alola. As of recently, Cecilia had herself purposefully thrown in jail under a false identity in order to inspect the conditions there, until prisoner transfer had her surprisingly transferred back to Alola through Malie City. In a turn of events, Cecilia found herself released early, though the means were certainly not legal, and presented with a new mission that she knew had to be completed. It was time to change her appearance once more and get going.

Other: Acting as a jack-of-all-trades for the organization she works in, Cecilia is willing to take on any mission assigned to her.

Species: Electivire
Name: Leistung
Ability: Motor Drive
Movelist: Cross-Chop, Thunder Punch, Thunder Wave, Dual Chop
Summary: Presented as an Egg to Cecilia alongside Heizung, this pokemon was raised from birth and proves time after time to be a powerhouse and important aspect to Cecilia’s team. Often appears aloof, but this is a façade. In truth, he is always observing the flow of things around him, making sure nothing is out of place.

Species: Magmortar
Name: Heizung
Ability: Vital Spirit
Movelist: Flamethrower, Sunny Day, Solar Beam, Thunderbolt
Summary: Presented as an Egg to Cecilia alongside Leistung, this pokemon was raised from birth. His natural aversion to sleep has placed him as the typical lookout for stakeout missions, and his alerts have kept Cecilia out of trouble more times than she can count. On his own in a fight, he is often uncertain, so more often than not he is typically paired in battle with his brother pokemon Leistung.

Species: Zoroark (Shiny)
Name: Lila
Ability: Illusion
Movelist: Night Daze, Memento, Focus Blast, Shadow Ball
Summary: The final egg Cecilia received from her parents before truly going off on her own, Lila hatched relatively quickly in comparison to the two who came before her. She is fiercely protective, and in a fight, will continue going until she can’t anymore and even then ensure that the enemy is debilitated.

Species: Ninetails (Alolan)
Name: Korisuna (Suna)
Ability: Snow Warning
Movelist: Frost Breath, Aurora Veil, Mist, Moon Blast
Summary: Found injured during one of her trips to Alola, Cecilia gained the trust of this pokemon after nursing it back to health. She acts as a guard for the team, as well as the one to give them cover should they need to make a quick getaway. She is quite shy outside of battle, but when actually fighting becomes brash.[
/SPOILER]

Name: Verum
Hometown: Rustboro City, Hoenn (Prior), Tapu Village (Current)
Appearance: Similarly to his sister, Verum is also plain, with a prominent tan and a small nose, though he lacks her noticeable freckles. He stands at 5’10” with dark brown hair that is thick enough that it simply looks like a mop that someone put on his head. His eyes are rounded, and colored a hazel that almost looks grey. His form is quite limber, and though his arms are thin, there are defined muscles there and in the rest of his body, both from his journeying, and the nature of the job he now holds. Since moving to Alola, his clothing has shifted from its previous cold focus, and now typically consists of tan cargo shorts, along with a tan belt outfitted to hold his pokeballs, and a black polo shirt as well as a pair of white socks and plain grey tennis shoes. Despite living in Alola, Verum hasn’t completely forgotten his Sinnohan routes, and still continues to wear his white scarf in the hot and often humid temperatures, albeit loosely. On top of this outfit, while working as a member of the international police, which in truth isn’t all that different. Exchange the shorts for a pair of black khakis, and the polo for a more official looking black button-up with all the gear attached and insignias placed on and that’s all it is.

Personality: Verum is certainly not averse to people, but he isn’t likely to actively go out of his way for conversation. Once he sets his mind to something, he’ll hardly stop to even sleep until it’s done. He’s often serious, though around his pokemon and good friends, he takes on a slightly more joking and friendly appearance. He also has a tendency to form some bad habits (not sleeping), much to the ire of his partner and best friend Allaster.

Backstory: Verum’s early life wasn’t the kindest either. Abandoned at birth, Verum was left to an orphanage in the city of Rustboro, Hoenn. He led a normal life, going to the trainer school in the city, though he dealt with a relentless childhood bully the whole time he was there. In truth, events in his life weren’t relevant to much until he hit age 10, though it was during this time that he met Allaster, a Ralts who was suffering similar torment to Verum amongst his own species as the runt of the group. The two found kindred spirits within each other and joined together. Members of the class were chosen to go to the Sinnoh Region, Iron Island specifically, on a trip sponsored by the Devon Corporation to observe the research being done there.

The trip went well, and Verum was even lucky enough to be presented with a Riolu egg after it was all done for being able to answer the most questions asked. He was determined to name it Alia after it hatched. On the ride back though, everything fell apart. The research carried was valuable, and a group of criminals saw fit to steal it. Verum was caught in the crossfire, and when the boat finally reached Canalave’s ports, he was the only one to stumble off, bloodied and unstable in the dark of night. He crashed into the doors of Canalave’s library, falling through them and passing out. When he awoke the next morning, it was in a dried puddle of blood and to the sound of a shocked scream. Surprisingly though, everything seemed fine, and he seemed to not have any wounds. Until the realization that he had no recollection of anything at all beyond his own name, and those of the pokemon and egg he had with him.

Following that, one thing led to another and even without his memories intact, Verum found he had quite the knack for battling. With no reason to want to go back to Hoenn, he made his choice to start a journey in Sinnoh. At the end of that journey at age 13, and with only 3 pokemon, Verum had managed to conquer all 8 gyms of Sinnoh, though due to his shortage of pokemon, he abstained from participating in the Sinnoh League. Following his challenges here, a year later by random happenstance, he met his sister, who’d always thought he was dead. The two remained in contact from that point on, but still went on their own separate journeys around the world.

There was a brief trip to Kalos where he observed a large tournament, and then later he made his travels to Alola, where he would remain for a large sum of time. In this time, Verum finished his team and attended a Ballroom that went dark. Following that, Verum ended up being hired by the International Police. Due to this he also got trapped in the dark caverns of Ten Carat hill chasing after an important convict, though eventually he escaped with the man in handcuffs. After that, Verum simply journeyed around Alola. He came to enjoy the region so much that he decided to set up shop on Ula-ula Island. With the help of his pokemon, and against the recommendations of the locals who said he’d anger Tapu Bulu, as the islanders had before, he built his house in the abandoned Tapu Village, and has now lived there for four years.

Recently, he was assigned to oversee prisoner transport that was crossing through Malie City, though he had the intention to visit Po Town as well, hearing of its sudden refurbishing due to the monetary contributions of a group known as the O3 Organization.

Other: Verum hates crowds, and exempting tournaments, will outright refuse to be a part of them when he can. It’s one of the few things that can distract him from a task or obligation.

Species: Gallade
Name: Allaster
Ability: Steadfast
Movelist: Psycho Cut, Double Team, Close Combat, Leaf Blade
Summary: Verum’s first pokemon and best friend, He’s been with him since the age of 7 when they met outside of Rustboro city, where the two found friends in one another. He’s stern, but caring and is always telling Verum off for his poor habits.

Species: Lucario
Name: Alia
Ability: Inner Focus
Movelist: Aura Sphere, Flash Cannon, Extreme Speed, Bone Rush
Summary: Received as an egg during a field trip to Iron Island as a reward for getting the most questions right out of his entire class on an assignment. Alia sees both Verum and Allaster as older brother figures. She is a bit of a troublemaker, enjoying playing pranks, but is also a serious and competitive battler.

Species: Torterra
Name: Gaia
Ability: Overgrow
Movelist: Frenzy Plant, Earthquake, Crunch, Synthesis
Summary: Upon coming to a stop at Lake Verity for a rest, Verum spotted a Turtwig. It seemed older than many of its kind, sunning itself by the water. Verum approached it, and it seemed to look at him waiting for a challenge. Verum obliged, beating the surprisingly strong grass type. He then gave his loyalty and respect to the trainer. Gaia is quiet, preferring to let his actions speak for him.

Species: Sylveon (Shiny)
Name: Kocho
Ability: Pixilate
Movelist: Calm Mind, Hyper Voice, Draining Kiss, Shadow Ball
Summary: On route 4 on Akala Island, Verum heard a quiet sound. Something that sounded like a cry for help, and when he found her, he knew he had to take care of her. A baby Eevee, abandoned because of a silver coat that would no doubt make it stand out to predators. Kocho is the most pacifistic of the entire group, but for the trainer who saved her, she will put her life on the line.

Species: Kommo-o
Name: Libensil
Ability: Bulletproof
Movelist: Clanging Scales, Dragon Dance, Sky Uppercut, Iron Tail
Summary: Traversing through Vast Poni Canyon, Verum fought off a group of Hakamo-o. Libensil, however, did not go down, and chose to go after Verum. Once he caught up, he challenged Verum again, only to lose. He is prideful by nature, but not so much so that he unwilling to recognize superior strength and strategy. Because of this, he joined Verum to become stronger.

Species: Golurk
Name: Kurei
Ability: Iron Fist
Movelist: Ice Punch, Fire Punch, Thunder Punch, Shadow Punch
Summary: Upon being warned by the locals that building his house in Tapu Village could anger the local guardian, Verum set out into the Haina Desert to got to Tapu Bulu’s temple with offerings to appease it first. When he got there, Kurei stood guarding the temple. The fight was fierce, but Verum managed to fend off the Golem and get inside. Upon exiting, however, he found the pokemon back up and prepared to fight again. To his surprise, the pokemon only rumbled deeply before kneeling down in service. Kurei is without much of a personality of his own, doing nothing more than following orders and actively guarding Verum when he can. He is also Verum’s main source of transportation.

Holy taking longer than I should have with this man oh man

Wow that took just about a millenia for me to get out. Sorry being quiet for so long. I made it so Gerald wouldn't have to interact with anyone aside from Kiran, whom I control. I personally don't like the post all that much but it's serviceable.

So, I just noticed something that may be interesting to somehow bring into the RP. Like, I can't believe I didn't notice this before, and have a new Pokemon theory.

Our characters have been talking quite a bit about Z-Moves and and Z-Crystals and stuff. And all that talking has made me think.... Are Z-Crystals related to Gems? Like, the Gems introduced in Gen 5 (Normal Gem, Bug Gem, Dragon Gem) that boost a certain type of attacking move. That would be an interesting thing to explore. I know that while Shiori doesn't have any Z-Crystals (yet), he does have his Gyarados use a Dragon Gem to boost Outrage. And (most) Z-Crystals (kinda) boost a certain type of move. Thoughts?

Gems are a little different. Instead of being found only in Alola, they can be found in Unova and other regions. They can only be used once and they only boost the type of move that matches their type, and they have to be held by a Pokemon. They are way more abundant than Z-Crystals, and Z-Crystals seem to work on a different scale than the Gems.

Although, this theory is interesting and it does seem to hold some ground. I'll have to research this and figure out if these two can be put together or at least tied together in some way.

Honest head-canon that probably doesn't mean anything but is worth mentioning-

Z-Crystals are souped up versions of the gems because of the amount of latent radiation from the ultra wormholes that had opened in Alola time and time again, even way before the games began. Given that it can turn any Pokemon into a totem Pokemon by simply opening up on it, I see no reason why it can't do the same to a bunch of pure essence gems. None of this is confirmed but can be deduced through playing the game. Of course it might be wrong, just something to do with Necrozma and all.

@Captain Cardboard

Alright, so I did some research on the Z-Crystals from Alola and Gems from Unova. They are not the same nor are they derived from the same thing. I got all my info from Bulbapedia, which in turn got it from the game's data and a little bit from the anime, and none of this is speculated. There may be some spoilers regarding Necrozma and the Sparkling Stones and the Ultra Recon Squad.

Here's the info I got on Gems:
  • They get consumed after one use, but won't disappear if the move fails or misses, but will be used before the damage is dealt when you use a move with a charging turn, like Solar Beam or Bide or Focus Punch.
  • It enhances the type of attack being used by 30% (50% in Gen VI because there was only one Gem you could find in the wild, which is the Normal Gem, and despite the added Fairy Gem, it isn't available).
  • The move has to be the same type as the gem, even after Abilities or move effects that change the move's type, like Electrify or Pixilate.
  • Found in Dust Clouds and just about anywhere where they are usually found in Unova, and the Normal Gems are found in Hoenn by smashing rocks with Rock Smash, Terminus Cave in Kalos, and Route 15 in Alola, and these Gems regenerate.
  • Looks like a diamond or a gem with a diamond cut.
  • Holds essence of that type.
    • Essence: Natural formation from a pure element crystallizing into a Gem.
    • From Wikipedia: "The property or set of properties that make an entity or substance what it fundamentally is, and which it has by necessity, and without which it loses its identity."
      • Basically means that fire is fire and has the properties of fire. If it doesn't have the properties of fire, it isn't fire. Basically. XD
Now the
  • One use in battle, but it doesn't get consumed.
  • Increases the power of attacks and changes Status moves into Z-Moves.
  • Needs Z-Ring/Z-Power Ring, a move that matches the type of the Crystal, and some need a Pokemon that uses a specific move.
  • Cultural roles in Alola as gifts that mean you are skilled and powerful in battle.
  • Also changes Arceus' type.
  • Looks either rhomboidal in shape (for the regular ones), or rhomboidal with diamond tips on both ends for the more special ones that need the Z-Power Ring for use, the Pikachu's tail for the Pikashunium Z, and they all have a silhouette and/or a marker on or within the crystal.
  • Crystallized form of Z-Power, which is needed for Z-Moves.
  • Need full power from both Pokemon and trainer by combining their wishes in order to make Z-Power, as well as physically put it into a dance to channel it.
  • You don't need the Z-Crystal in the Z-Ring to use it and you can just give it to the Pokemon, but I feel like it is more accurate for it to be placed in the ring.
  • Z-Rings made from Sparkling Stones that fell from Necrozma's body and fell from an Ultra Wormhole after Ultra Recon Squad's ancestors dealt with the beast.
  • Z-Power may come from Ultra Wormholes, as Lusamine almost went unconscious from the Nihilego covering her body from the mass amount of Z-Power, so Z-Power is dangerous in large doses.
  • Necrozma's light shone down on Alola and gave rise to Totem Pokemon, Z-Power surrounding the user and the Pokemon when using a Z-Move, according to the Ultra Recon Squad.
  • When using the Z-Power, it has a huge blast radius and can affect multiple opponents, but it can also tire out the Pokemon heavily unless they are used to using so much of their power by building up stamina from it.
  • The Z in Z-Move or Z-Power means Zenith or Zenryoku, which roughly translates from Japanese to Full Power or Full Force.
    • Basically seems to be very powerful aura that can give buffs to Pokemon, but also end up causing the trainer/Pokemon to fall unconscious if they are around too much of it.

Here are some speculations, but they are tiny: You need the Z-Power Ring to use the more advanced Z-Moves because they take more out of you or you need to channel more Z-Power, which can either break a regular Z-Ring or just not work.

In conclusion, the Gems are merely crystallized essence of a particular element. In Route 4/Desert Resort, you can get the Ground Gem, which has the essence of the earth within it. Once the Pokemon uses an attack, the essence gets pulled out to help aid in strengthening the attack (if it matches the type). When that happens, the gem becomes useless or it evaporates away into nothingness, since it is essentially made out of whatever element that Type was made from.

Z-Crystals are different and don't come from the earth gifting the Pokemon of increased power of a given Type for one use. Instead, they came from the Ultra Wormhole by Necrozma, and the Ultra Space is filled with Z-Power, which is why Fallers give off a distinct signature that makes Ultra Beasts come near them. They are attracted to the overpowering Z-Power that came with you when you went through an Ultra Wormhole because you feel like an Ultra Wormhole, and they just want to be brought back home (now THAT is speculation, but it seems too good to pass up). The reason why Totem Pokemon exist and the Z-Power existing is because of the light given off by the black prisms of Necrozma. It radiates so much energy that they give a permanent buff to the Pokemon and make them grow bigger and their aura has this physical glow about them (or it could just be their bodies). Z-Rings that came from Sparkling Stones came from Necrozma, as well. Anything with Z in it has Necrozma written all over it. It brings out the full mental and physical power from a person and a Pokemon and puts it into one attack, causing major fatigue to both parties and destroying much of the area around them, as these are usually destructive. Because of their immense power, these are given to trainers who beat the Alolan Trials as a sign of strength and responsibility and all that. Z-Power are much more than meets the eye and they are in no way tied to Gems besides in looks alone. What's funny is that Z-Crystals can change Arceus' type, which means they are either made of the same material or they have the same powerful energy readings that they give off like Arceus' plates.

Although, the theory seemed good to tie together, I eventually found evidence to refute this. Sorry if I burst your bubble there.

Last edited:
Anything with Z in it has Necrozma written all over it.

Even... Z-Kaiseki?!? XD

Wow. That was a lot of research. I'm not too upset about it, as I thought that the theory probably wasn't going to hold much water anyway (and even if it did, it's not like it would change much XD). Which the theory I was making was that Z-Crystals were Gems mutated by the wormholes or something, but it doesn't matter now anyways. I'm more impressed by the elegant way the proof is presented! Kudos to you, @Pretty Pichu !

Awww, thank you :3 it was really bugging me and I had to get the research done. XD Glad I do. Know I can incorporate my knowledge into what Angel knows about the crystals (hehe, meta-gaming.....)... Actually I won't do that. XD That's kind of cheating.

But I'm glad you like it :3 took me about an hour to get everything together and as soon as I did, it clicked super fast for me :3 I love my brain sometimes. xD

@Nebulix @Takumeme666420 not sure if you're both still interested in this or not, but both of you are up to battle. feel free to look back to my post on page 10 for a rules refresher if you've forgotten the formatting for this tourney.

if both of you reply and want to battle, feel free to duke it out. if only one person responds in the next 48 hours, they'll move on. and if neither respond... i'll flip a coin for what character gets to go on, but they'll just end up losing the next round they have against an active rper.