• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Alola Team-Building Anyone?

I was wondering if any of you guys have started to formulate a team for Pokemon Sun & Moon based off of what's been revealed so far. I do this all the time when new games are set to come out, but I almost never stick to the plan since you can never tell what pokemon are in which version or how the pokemon are distributed throughout the map until the games actually come out. :?

Regardless, I'm queuing up Popplio, Cutiefly, Meowth, and Lycanroc so far. But who knows what I'll have when I actually play :D

So far I'm looking at Rowlet, Vikivolt, Marowak, and Lycanroc. I'm also liking Cutiefly and Meowth. But like you said, it's too early to tell yet with Pokemon locations and such. I've never trained up a Persian before, so I may go with it this time.

EDIT: I just realized I have yet another team with a glaring weakness to ice. I swear every team I build has tons of ice weaknesses.

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
Gah I'm gonna have a lot of problem choosing ;; so far I was thinking of some combination of Salandit, Rockruff, Grubbin, Drampa, Mimikyu, Fomantis (if I don't pick Rowlet), Mudbray, and any one of the starters since I love them all ;;

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
Such a hard decision xD

Rowlet - As my choice of starter will obviously heavily be decided by the final evolution this choice could easily change. Based on the three first evolutions though Rowlet all the way. I love owls ♥

Rockruff - I adore this little fellow, and I really like the Midday Lycanroc. I will be having one on my team for sure as I think Midday Lycanroc is my favourite Pokemon revealed so far

Alolan Vulpix - I have always loved Vulpix, going back to when I first saw the one in the anime. Foxes are my favourite animal and Vulpix is super adorable. I was never the biggest fan of Ninetales though, as I always felt it looked more wolf-like than fox-like. I do like the new icy version of it however, so Pokemon Moon will give me the perfect opportunity to have Vulpix on the team!

Those three are my choice so far, but honourable mention goes to Pikipek, Fomantis and Turtonator.

I just realized I have yet another team with a glaring weakness to ice. I swear every team I build has tons of ice weaknesses.
I always have this exact same problem. Most of my favourite Pokemon are weak to Ice. Murkrow, Archeops, Sceptile, Druddigon... xD

I always have such great plans for teams, and never go through with them because I just catch indiscriminately the first play through, in a desperate attempt to complete the pokédex asap, in fact if we go back 10 years you can see the post where I decided my diamond and pearl team, i used 2/6 for my diamond game, skuntank and luxray, everything else fell by the wayside. Jeez 10 years....

Back on point though.

Vikavolt
Salandit
Mimikyu
Pallossand
Exeggutor

I can't decide on a 6th pokémon so for the time being I'd say that I've got a lousy type coverage, 2 ghost types will never help in that case but until I know stats for pallossand and mimikyu I can't decide between the two. I'm finding a whole lot of pokémon they're releasing aren't appealing to me at all, and unless we see some starter evolutions that are great, that bastard's getting boxed as soon as I can, I really hate all 3 of them right now, and that's unlikely to change, especially if those "leaked" evolutions turn out to be legit.

Meh, maybe I'm just pessimistic at the moment, though if we can ride pokémon around all the time then I'll have a mudsdale =)

Ive been planning on choosing Rowlet for my starter, getting a Rockruff, Type:Null, Drampa, Mimikyu, and an Alolan Vulpix X3 I love all the designs for all of these and i think it would be a really good team to suit me.

I always have such great plans for teams, and never go through with them because I just catch indiscriminately the first play through, in a desperate attempt to complete the pokédex asap, in fact if we go back 10 years you can see the post where I decided my diamond and pearl team, i used 2/6 for my diamond game, skuntank and luxray, everything else fell by the wayside. Jeez 10 years....

Back on point though.

Vikavolt
Salandit
Mimikyu
Pallossand
Exeggutor

I can't decide on a 6th pokémon so for the time being I'd say that I've got a lousy type coverage, 2 ghost types will never help in that case but until I know stats for pallossand and mimikyu I can't decide between the two. I'm finding a whole lot of pokémon they're releasing aren't appealing to me at all, and unless we see some starter evolutions that are great, that bastard's getting boxed as soon as I can, I really hate all 3 of them right now, and that's unlikely to change, especially if those "leaked" evolutions turn out to be legit.

Meh, maybe I'm just pessimistic at the moment, though if we can ride pokémon around all the time then I'll have a mudsdale =)

It's too bad that a lot of the new Pokemon aren't appealing to you, but I'm sure they may grow on you over time. I kind of get what you're saying. I'm always like, "What the..." when new Pokemon come out because I've been into it for so long that I get nostalgic for old designs, but when I get into a game, I may like the way one Pokemon handles in battle even if its design wasn't initially appealing.

And, lol, I'm totally not looking forward to those leaked evolutions because they seem really lackluster. Especially poor Litten's final evo XD Whatever the case, I will play my heart out and love all my Pokemon. Those little bastards have a way with me.

It's too bad that a lot of the new Pokemon aren't appealing to you, but I'm sure they may grow on you over time. I kind of get what you're saying. I'm always like, "What the..." when new Pokemon come out because I've been into it for so long that I get nostalgic for old designs, but when I get into a game, I may like the way one Pokemon handles in battle even if its design wasn't initially appealing.

And, lol, I'm totally not looking forward to those leaked evolutions because they seem really lackluster. Especially poor Litten's final evo XD Whatever the case, I will play my heart out and love all my Pokemon. Those little bastards have a way with me.

Normally I see new pokémon and I get really excited, instead nearly every release has made me cringe, I'll admit I got very excited when I saw Turtonator, but mostly because I was giggling at its name, notice how it wasn't on my planned team, whilst I think it's mildly ridiculous in the best of ways, but I literally have no desire whatsoever to use it.
Bearing in mind I am one of, what seems at times, very few people that really likes the majority of Unova pokémon, there's just something that's really freaking bugging me about so many of these new pokémon, maybe I just feel so few are bringing anything "new" to the table. "oh look... another fairy type that looks like it should be grass... standard early bird that will pale in comparison to talonflame.... lycanrock is discount zoroark...."
Ok I got really excited when i saw tapu koko but it being a "deity" pokémon completely ruins it for me as I avoid using legendaries as they make the game too easy.

I really hope that in 2 months time I'll be screaming "OH MY GOD I WAS SO WRONG!"

There are so many new pokemon I like!! at first I thought they were going to be worse than any other, but I was so wrong. My team that i'm leaning towards is:

1. litten(maybe)
2. lurantis
3. togedemaru
4. wishiwashi
5. rockruff
6. minior

I need to know more about evolutions, version availability, stat weights, etc. before I can really decide-- and if the exp. share is back I might not have to, I was rolling with a rotating team of 10-12 pokemon in Y with that sucker turned on.

Right now I'm inclined to say that I'll start with Litten, and maybe pick up Lycanroc (Midday), Vikavolt, and Mudsdale along the way. I also really like Salandit and Palossand but I don't like to double up on types unless exp. share is around. Pyukumuku and Mimikyu are cute as hell but if they're not that powerful they might be hard to keep leveled.

Well, if I had to choose, I'd probably go with a team that looks something like this:

1: Litten
2: Alolan Ninetales
3: Minior
4: Wishiwashi (or a Type: Null)
5: Mimmiku (or a Banette) (or a Bewear)
6: Sallandit (or an Ampharos)

I probably just butchered the last two names. xD But I dunno if I want a team of completely Alolan Pokemon, y'know? But if Persian gets a change, I most certainly wanna add one to my team!

It's a little hard to build a team given that there's still so much we don't know. However based on what Pokemon we currently know exist:

- Rowlet: Its an adorable grass owl. What more do you even need in life?
- Komala: Despite not knowing if it evolves, this guy is so cute. But more importantly, Comatose is a really good ability that I'd love to mess around with. If it ends up getting a grass type later on in its evolution I might reconsider though (or just get Popplio).
- Salandit: Again, interesting ability makes it worth considering, plus I'm a massive sucker for lizards.
- Mudsdale: This thing looks crazy tanky, especially with that Stamina ability, so it could be really interesting to use.
- Wishiwashi: This one is a little iffy, mainly because it has the potential to be too gimmicky for my liking. It really depends on how crippling being forced back into Single form after losing too much HP is. Still cool though.
- Passimian: Questionable ability in terms of usefulness (as I usually don't let my Pokemon faint - habit from nuzlocking), but the design is so cool that I want to give it a shot anyway.

Honorable mentions go to Type: Null and Jangmo-o. But all of this could easily change when we learn of what other Pokemon exist in the game.

For me, I do not like to limit myself to just 6 Pokemon, just because that is the number of Pokemon that a Trainer can have with himself/herself at the time. My team usually consists of whatever I happen to like, plus whatever types I feel I need. The Exp. Share helps with this immensely.

As of right now, with the information and Pokemon available to us, I'd probably want to use are: Rowlet, Rockruff, Grubbin, Salandit, Mimikyu, Mudbray, Minior, Fomantis, Sandygast, Wishiwashi, Alolan Sandshrew, and Lunala. All the others that have been revealed could be used, but it's not likely as of right now. These are just the ones I'm definitely using.

For me only 2 are officially in my team - the rest I haven't decided, with Torracat being released a few days ago, has made my hype for Litten even greater
Litten and Alola Vulpix

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
I think I've pretty much picked out the rest of my team now~

Mimikyu
Vikavolt
Salandit
Kommo-o
Alola Sandslash
And whatever my starter will be (which will either be Rowlet or Popplio since I already have Salandit as my fire type).

I might try to fit Silvally, Sensu or Baile Style Oricorio, Minior, Lycanroc, Lurantis, Mudsdale, Ribombee, and Drampa in there as I travel the region, but these are the ones I plan on having as my end-game team~ for now.

Ok so I found a way of getting a bit more excited. I'll be in Japan on my birthday at the end of next month, so I'm buying a japanese copy (and ds) so I can get the pokémon center birthday eevee download, I will replace popplio on that game with eevee =) Also I really like Torracat, it's grown on me really well, I'm even making a plushie at the moment though its tartan not red =)

Now we're getting a few more pokémon crop up there's a few nice new additions that I'm finding rather pleasing. Still for my first english game I'm considering
- torracat
- Vikavolt
- Mimikyu
- Sandalit/Muk
- Exeggutor
- Tsareena

I'm going to leave palossand for my japanese game as I've got ghost covered with mimikyu anyway, 2 fire types could be a problem, but we've still a lot to see when it comes to these games =)

Hmm...I guess my team so far is:
- Rowlet
- Lycanroc (Miday)
- Ribombee
- Pyukumuku
- Hakamo-o
- Alola Marowak
(This might be subsequent to change as more info is released though...)

Psycho Monkey

Member of the Literary Elite Four
As it currently stands I'm thinking these six:
Popplio
Oranguru
Kommo-o
Sanlandit
Mudsdale
Lunala

This line up is subject to change in the event that certain Pokemon are not available until very late game and/or if an as yet unrevealed Pokemon catches my attention as a must have.

I'm totally getting the games and can't wait to make a trainer card for Alola. Sure all the Pokémon haven't been released but I've definitely got a few Pokémon I'll probably have on my team

Rowlett line: I'm a sucker for grass starters and I love grass flying types! (Apart from Shaymin -m-) Plus I usually pick a grass type on my first play through and I'll make no exception!

Jangmo-o line: While I am annoyed it isn't resistant to ice and basically picks up two new weaknesses as well as being horrifically weak against fairy types, I like it. The design is cool, the typing is interesting and I just like it. I suppose I have a soft spot for things with a x4 weakness

Sandshrew (Alolan) line: Would you look at that! Another 4x weakness Pokémon! Not only to one type but for two, those being fire and fighting. Despite this, Sandslash deserved an awesome remake and I'm glad it got one. For those who looked at my terrible trainer cards back when I first joined you would've spotted the previously ground type on some of my teams.

That's it really! Although I must say Oricorio and Lurantis were extremely temping but I decided to wait until I've seen everything before filling more than half my team

I'm thinking
Rowlet
Alolan Raichu
Alolan Ninetales
Mimikiyu
Lycanroc (midday)
And I'm not sure what my sixth slot will be, but Oricorio Baile Style is looking interesting.

im thinking by the end of the trials i would have would be
Primarina
Silvally (Fire type)
Alola Raichu (Surfing pikachu)
Alola Muk (im going to look for a shiny one tho afterwards maybe)
Kommo-o (i hope it learns outrage)
Im saving this spot for a mega i dont which one yet

In the wake of the new reveals, my team looks like it's going to turn out like this

- Inceniroar
- Greninja (Battle-Bond)
- Vikevolt
- Alolan Machamp (if it exists, otherwise some other Alolan form)
- Wimpod (I have a really good feeling it's going to evolve into something cool)
- Sivally (if I can, otherwise slot is free. Will likely pick Steel type)

In the wake of the new reveals, my team looks like it's going to turn out like this

- Inceniroar
- Greninja (Battle-Bond)
- Vikevolt
- Alolan Machamp (if it exists, otherwise some other Alolan form)
- Wimpod (I have a really good feeling it's going to evolve into something cool)
- Sivally (if I can, otherwise slot is free. Will likely pick Steel type)
hmmm i would watch out for fighting types but regardless that pretty good oh and fairy types but i wonder do silvally and battle bond greninja have there own custom Z moves

I'm going to use Rowlet at my starter, and name it "Oliver" after Green Arrow from the Justice League. Next, before I go up against my rival in the festival, I'll catch a Grubbin and name it "Beetlezord" cause I think Vikivolt kinda looks like one of the Zords the Power Rangers use. Later on before I leave Melemele, I'll pick up a Diglett and Crabrawler to help take on the rock Island Kahuna. Diglett will be known as "Curly", from the three stooges, and Crabrawler "Rocky", which is a very obvious reference.
Later on Bulu's island, Magby will be joining the team, which will be proudly named "Teetduck" after Titduck from a few Pokemon Let's Plays done by youtubers like Nappy, Nexus or Patterz.
And finally I'll probably be using Cosmog, evolving it eventually into Solgaleo probably, and name it "Poof".
If it is not available as a Cosmog, then I will not use it.
Instead, I will use Tauros.
So...
Final team:
Decidueye, Vikivolt, Alolan Dugtrio, Crabrawler Evo, Magmortar and Solgaleo/Tauros.

Last edited by a moderator:
The most amazing team for me would be
1.Decidueye
2.Lycanroc (midnight)
3.Alola Muk
4.Tapu Bulu
5.Snorlax
6.Umbreon(will evolve Eevee I am 95.5% sure you can catch Eevee )

Last edited:
My team is going to consist of my top 6 favourite Alola Pokemon. The last three have not been officially revealed, so I can't say anything about them as per site rules, so I've left them as 'leaked'.
Anyways, this is my team:
- Primarina
- Incineroar
- Lycanroc Midnight Form
- 'Leaked'
- 'Leaked'
- 'Leaked'

Here is what I thought for now ♥:
Primarina - So majestic that's why...
Decidueye - to pair with Primarina *cough* I mean since I like ghost types ^^
Lycranoc - Totall BADASS! >:3
Jolteon - He might've been useful since he is the he fastest I guess ^^
Alolan Raichu - So I can nickname her Kat and since it's such a cutie!!! ♥
Lucario - BADASS! JUST BADASS!!!

(IDK if I want a mega lucario, since it might be hard to find the mega stone in Alola :p)

Last edited:
Here is what I thought for now ♥:
Primarina - So majestic that's why...
Decidueye - to pair with Primarina *cough* I mean since I like ghost types ^^
Lycranoc - Totall BADASS! >:3
Jolteon - He might've been useful since he is the he fastest I guess ^^
Alolan Raichu - So I can nickname her Kat and since it's such a cutie!!! ♥
Lucario - BADASS! JUST BADASS!!!

(IDK if I want a mega lucario, since it might be hard to find the mega stone in Alola :p)
Which Lycanroc form

1! litten! I LOVE THIS THING!!!!! It says it's really chill, which i LOVE about him. Im literally just gonna give it an everstone.

2! salandit! I just love it and i want it.

3! hakamo-o! im ALSO givin' it an everstone!

4! solgaleo! it didn't skip leg day. i respect that. also his ability RULES!

5! lycanroc! it's simple but awesome.

6!!!! g. u. m. s. h. o. o. s. AWWWWWW YEAH!!!!!!! I'M GETTIN IT!!!!!!
ok. i'm done now. bye bye!

My Alola Team (only using Pokemon introduced in Gen 7)

Most likely will change, because usually the first few Pokemon I catch, I keep because I usually have trained them ready for routes or battles. I wasn't planning on Swellow in Omega Ruby. At least Solgaleo and Decidueye should stick in my main team. And Komala, because its useful and cute.

Wagner The Decidueye - I always use my starter. Read Awful Auntie to see why I called it
that.
Stag The Vikavolt - Amazing looking electrical flying Pinsir. Who doesn't want one?
Swift The Lycanroc - Midday, Im getting Sun. It has that "Don't mess with me" vibe
El Toro the Tapu Bulu - 2 words - favourite Tapu.
Lyon The Solgaleo - Its signature move is amazing! It is also the Box Legend.
Sleepy The Komala - It is just adorable. It takes half my worries away in battle.

Honourable Mentions:
Trump The Gumshoos - I love that meme. Why isn't it a dark type though? It fits it.
Tiki The Toucannon - I always used the regional birds. Not this time.
Sans The Marowak
- I love Undertale. And it fits even more then regular Marowak
Beta The Magearna - I imagined a fakemon similar to Magearna called Beta, so I wanna call it that.
Lillie The Nihilego - I would have added it if there was a 7th slot. Why the heck is it a parasite though?!
Teddy The Bewear - Sooooo cute!!!!!
Yeah, I went through a lot of changes.

EDIT: Just re-decided a bit of my team.

408214_trainercard-Dream_Team.png
<--- This one, not the one in the signature
There is the team. There aren't any Gen VII spirites, so I couldn't pick one.

Last edited by a moderator: