• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Alola Islands Cup - Sign-ups

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
JHltv8E.png

Right, so this tournament is going to be very different to what you're all used to, and I credit the initial concept to @Brendan Savem which I have then spent some time working out a way to implement here.

The tournament itself will be 6vs6 singles which you're all used to, on Pokemon Showdown. That's about where the similarities to the other tournaments end.

Players who sign up will be assigned to one of the four islands of Alola at random. The Pokemon you can use on your team are restricted to the Pokemon species native to your designated island. The island that you are assigned to will be your "team" and you will be battling against trainers from other islands for league points. The island team that has the most league points at the end of the competition will be the champions.

The list of Pokemon for each island can be found in their designated spoiler tabs below:

Melemele Island
  • Decidueye*

• Incineroar*

• Primarina*
  • Toucannon

• Gumshoos

• Raticate (Alolan)

• Butterfree

• Ledian

• Spinarak

• Raichu (Alolan)

• Vikavolt

• Sudowoodo

• Blissey

• Snorlax

• Slowbro

• Slowking

• Pelipper

• Alakazam

• Persian (Alolan)

• Magnezone

• Muk (Alolan)

• Arcanine

• Hypno

• Hariyama

• Smeargle

• Crabominable

• Gengar

• Drifblim

• Mismagius

• Crobat

• Dugtrio (Alolan)

• Fearow

• Braviary

• Mandibuzz

• Primeape

• Delibird

• Oricorio (Electric)

• Ribombee

• Lilligant

• Whimsicott

• Golduck

• Gyarados

• Whiscash

• Machamp

• Gigalith

• Carbink

• Sableye

• Lycanroc

• Spinda

• Tentacruel

• Lumineon

• Wishiwashi

• Luvdisc

• Corsola

• Toxapex

• Cloyster

• Salamence
Akala Island
  • Toucannon

• Gumshoos

• Raticate (Alolan)

• Butterfree

• Vikavolt

• Sudowoodo

• Blissey

• Pelipper

• Crabominable

• Gengar

• Crobat

• Dugtrio (Alolan)

• Oricorio (Psychic)

• Golduck

• Gyarados

• Tentacruel

• Whiscash

• Lumineon

• Wishiwashi

• Luvdisc

• Corsola

• Toxapex

• Stoutland

• Vaporeon*

• Jolteon*

• Flareon*

• Espeon*

• Umbreon*

• Glaceon*

• Leafeon*

• Sylveon*

• Mudsdale

• Wigglytuff

• Tauros

• Miltank

• Masquerain

• Araquanid

• Lurantis

• Shiinotic

• Parasect

• Poliwrath

• Politoed

• Seaking

• Milotic

• Alomomola

• Talonflame

• Salazzle

• Marowak (Alolan)

• Kangaskhan

• Magmortar

• Bewear

• Tsareena

• Comfey

• Pinsir

• Oranguru

• Passimian

• Goodra

• Castform

• Golisopod

• Starmie

• Palossand

• Rampardos

• Bastiodon

• Archeops

• Carracosta

• Trevenant

• Probopass

• Pyukumuku

• Lanturn
Ula'ula Island
  • Toucannon

• Gumshoos

• Raticate (Alolan)

• Ledian

• Ariados

• Vikavolt

• Blissey

• Slowbro

• Slowking

• Pelipper

• Persian (Alolan)

• Magnezone

• Muk (Alolan)

• Crabominable

• Gengar

• Crobat

• Dugtrio (Alolan)

• Fearow

• Oricorio (Fire)

• Ribombee

• Lilligant

• Whimsicott

• Golduck

• Gyarados

• Tentacruel

• Lumineon

• Wishiwashi

• Mudsdale

• Masquerain

• Araquanid

• Lurantis

• Parasect

• Poliwrath

• Politoed

• Seaking

• Goodra

• Castform

• Garbodor

• Skarmory

• Ditto

• Clefable

• Minior

• Metagross

• Porygon-Z

• Pangoro

• Komala

• Torkoal

• Turtonator

• Togedemaru

• Electivire

• Golem (Alolan)

• Krookodile

• Flygon

• Garchomp

• Klefki

• Mimikyu

• Bruxish

• Drampa

• Absol

• Glalie

• Froslass

• Weavile

• Sandslash (Alolan)

• Ninetales (Alolan)

• Vanilluxe
Poni Island
  • Toucannon

• Gumshoos

• Raticate (Alolan)

• Blissey

• Pelipper

• Hypno

• Hariyama

• Crabominable

• Crobat

• Dugtrio (Alolan)

• Fearow

• Braviary

• Mandibuzz

• Primeape

• Oricorio (Ghost)

• Ribombee

• Lilligant

• Whimsicott

• Golduck

• Gyarados

• Whiscash

• Machamp

• Gigalith

• Carbink

• Sableye

• Lycanroc

• Tentacruel

• Lumineon

• Mudsdale

• Tauros

• Miltank

• Bewear

• Pinsir

• Goodra

• Castform

• Golisopod

• Skarmory

• Granbull

• Gastrodon

• Dhelmise

• Relicanth

• Sharpedo

• Wailord

• Lapras

• Exeggutor (Alolan)

• Kommo-o

• Emolga

• Scizor

• Honchkrow

• Lucario

• Dragonite

• Aerodactyl
You may have noticed some of the Pokemon have asterisks next to their names. These mean that your team can only have one out of the asterisk'd Pokemon on there. For example, picking Decidueye on Melemele means you can't have Incineroar or Primarina, and picking any one of the Eeveelutions on Akala prevents you from using any of the others. On top of this, none of the Guardian Deities are usable, and since none of the Ultra Beasts are deemed native to Alola, they cannot be used either.

Also, since it's 6vs6 singles the following clauses and rules apply:

Endless Battle Clause: Any moveset on any Pokémon that is capable of intentionally causing an endless battle is banned from competitive play. Thus:
A Pokémon may not carry Recycle and hold a Leppa Berry in conjunction with Heal Pulse and Milk Drink, Moonlight, Morning Sun, Recover, Roost, Slack Off, Soft-Boiled, or Wish.
A Pokémon may not hold a Leppa Berry and carry Recycle and Pain Split on its moveset.
A Pokémon may not hold a Leppa Berry and carry Recycle and Fling on its moveset.

Evasion Clause: The moves Double Team and Minimize, in addition to the abilities Sand Veil and Snow Cloak, are not permitted in play.

Moody Clause: Pokémon with the ability Moody are not permitted.

OHKO Clause: A Pokemon may not have the moves Fissure, Guillotine, Horn Drill, or Sheer Cold in its moveset.

Sleep Clause: Only one Pokémon may be put to sleep on the opposing team at a time, if not induced by a move such as Rest.

Species Clause: Players cannot have two Pokémon with the same Pokédex number on the same team.

Mega Evolution cannot be used at all.

Pokémon may be up to level 100.

Signups are a little different this time around: The signup period will still have a deadline, that being December 1st 2017. However, due to the teams needing to have the same number of players each, the number of entrants will be rounded down to 8, 12, or 16 depending on how many signups are made. This means that the signup period may end early, and that some players who sign up may end up being cut due to the rounding. For this reason, first-come first-served applies, so if you want to take part, get your signup in quickly. Once your signup is confirmed, you will be given your designated island and you can start preparing your team. Once the matchups start, the island allocations will be revealed publically. As always, anything posted in this thread that isn't a signup or question will be deemed SPAM and get you a warning.

Let the signups begin.

- Koopa6000
- LunarLuma
- Teapot
- Andrewski2000
- Psycho Monkey
- Brendan Savem
- Mr Fishykarp
- Blaze: Internation Police
- Aliace
- SS-I Never
- Leon1
- Dwayna Dragonfire

Last edited:

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
For the sake of fairness, I've decided to wait a few days to assign you your given islands. This gives others a bit of extra time to sign up (and most of the sign-ups happen in the first few days of live) and means I can assign your islands all at - mostly - the same time.

Psycho Monkey

Member of the Literary Elite Four
I shall sign up for this as well! Quick question though. You have the final evolutions listed for each island, but what of using Eviolite on pre-evolutions? I'm assuming the answer is we can use any Pokemon from the four islands besides the Tapus regardless of evolutionary stage and the list is more of a guideline.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
I shall sign up for this as well! Quick question though. You have the final evolutions listed for each island, but what of using Eviolite on pre-evolutions? I'm assuming the answer is we can use any Pokemon from the four islands besides the Tapus regardless of evolutionary stage and the list is more of a guideline.

Pre-evolutions of the listed Pokemon are allowed.

Wow, glad to see you've managed to get this idea off the ground KoL! It would be a shame not to offer my participation for this, so count me signed up! But I do have to ask, how will the upcoming Ultra games factor into this? Some recent reveals indicate that the Alolan Pokedex is getting an expansion, adding the likes of Mr Mime, Hawlucha, and Lopunny to the islands, the last one of which could potentially be a game-changer (or it would if the mega-clause didn't exist). Will you be updating the island listings to account for these additions in a months time? Or are we going to ignore them for the sake of the tournament?

Edit: Suppose the new Z-moves are also worth tagging to the same question while we're on the subject of Ultra Sun/Moon. Will they be allowed in the tournament?

Does every island have an even amount of Pokemon to pick from?
It's a difference of about 30 pokemon total from highest to lowest. Akala and Ula'ula are tied for the highest with 130, while Poni has the least at 100, and Melemele sits at 120.

Last edited:

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Regarding how the Ultra games factor into this, quite simply, they don't. Since the 'Dex is said to increase in size significantly upon their release, I wanted to get this on the board before having to deal with all of that.

The new Z-Moves from the Ultra games will be allowed however as long as Showdown has them available.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
That's our twelve, sign-ups are now closed.

Brackets are still due on the same date, December 1st, to give the last few players yet to confirm their teams time to finish preparations.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
First round matchups will be up and available tomorrow, and the teams will be revealed on the same day.

I'll message everyone with the matchup thread once it's live.