• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

XY/ORAS Singles Aegislash - Now with 50% more stall!

Ruko

Bearded Trout Warrior
So what with all of the hubbub going on around Aegislash, I've been tossing my opinion around angrily about the ban smogon dishoued, and was thus extended to Showdown. Amid the chaos both before and after the ban I kept hearing of a toxic stall Aegislash and how the arrival and popularization of that set had pushed Aegis into the levels that warranted a ban. At first I wholly disagreed, dismissing the utility of a toxic set as nothing but a gimmick.. but I finally put it to the test

Here is one example battle of this Aegislash running

Aegislash @ Leftovers
Careful Nature
Stance Change
236 HP, 8 ATK, 252 Sp. Defense, 12 Speed
- Substitute
- King's Shield
- Toxic
- Shadow Sneak [Or other Filler move]

The video really sings the praises of Aegislash as well as I can here. Behind an impressive 438 special defense, a protect clone that effectively halves the power of most [but not all] physical attackers, and the threat of a substitute coming up in the event you don't attack... There isn't much that stops this set which also stops the more common Aegislash sets.
While this Aegislash cannot do much to stop opposing Steel / Poison types, it can toxic stall almost anything successfully and even without attack training, Shadow Sneak packs a pretty powerful punch when it comes to finishing off a weakened opponent.

Don't get me wrong - I still disagree with Smogon's ban, but I wanted to share this tidbit with everyone here... as most folks I've spoken with have heard little or nothing about a toxic-stall Aegislash, and most of those who had quickly dismissed it as I did.
That aside, here's the rest of the team I built around it for review and otherwise. As you can probably tell, it's not built for OU, but for Battle Spot in-game X and Y. All of my future teams will probably conform to this playstyle as well.

Kangaskhan @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Sucker Punch
- Power-Up Punch
- Return

Tyranitar @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Crunch
- Rock Slide [back and forth between this and Stone Edge]
- Fire Punch
- Earthquake

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Fling
- Acrobatics
- Earthquake
- Roost

Heliolisk @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Veil [Mostly to protect it from extra residual damage]
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Grass Knot
- Surf

Liepard @ Sitrus Berry [can't leftovers with Aegis holding them]
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Swagger
- Foul Play
- Thunder Wave

The team is built to be a sort of offensive stall. - Kangaskhan's flinch works well in the presence of sandstorm or toxic, but Kangaskhan is also just pretty awesome in itself.
Liepard's Swagplay once again suits the two DOTs, while functioning just fine on its own... luck provided.
Tyranitar brings in a physical wall that compliments well with Aegislash in most situations, will also complimenting the stall with some sandstorm. Fire Punch to help dispatch steel types, although Tyranitar is at a bit of a disadvantage against them itself
Gliscor is just sort of there. It also pairs well with Aegislash on teams which contain prominent ground types.
Heliolisk is the lone special attacker and sports quite an amazing bit of coverage on that front. Grass Knot, Surf, and HP Ice cover every ground type I could ever want to, which as you might guess are a bit of a threat to my core. Volt Switch just hits hard while letting me scout a bit.

Last edited:
Aegislash - I do love the stall aegislash, its the first thing I thought of when the family was announced because of that typing. Set seems fine to me, defense is high enough without investments and you need that Sp. def for those pesky fire types anyway.

Kangaskhan - typical Megakenga, no issues here. Speed investment is always a possibility.

Tyranitar - Pretty standard set, I would consider Ice punch for the coverage slot since dragons are ever popular on Battlespot. (And everywhere else, who am I kidding.) and EQ/Rockslide covers for most fire types as it is. Sp def investment may be needed on top of the assault vest since Gengar is still running rampant in Battlespot as well and you want to soak up the focus blast to Crunch it to death after.

Gliscor - I love this set and I have had quite a bit of success with it myself. Compliments Aegislash and tyranitar well as you mentioned.

Heliolisk - I love this little guy and he is a perfect Sp. attacker for your team, few can boast protection from Sandstorm without adding to your rock/ground/steel typings. Standard set, tested and true.

Liepard - Lum berry may be a consideration for the item particularly if Liepard is used as a lead. And with that change I would swap Sub for taunt to prevent hazard set ups. Actually I would greatly consider running taunt either way since you lack a spinner/defog.

Ruko

Bearded Trout Warrior
Tyranitar - Pretty standard set, I would consider Ice punch for the coverage slot since dragons are ever popular on Battlespot. (And everywhere else, who am I kidding.) and EQ/Rockslide covers for most fire types as it is. Sp def investment may be needed on top of the assault vest since Gengar is still running rampant in Battlespot as well and you want to soak up the focus blast to Crunch it to death after.
Actually, the only time a Gengar can OHKO Tyranitar is with a specs boosted focus blast combined with Stealth Rock damage [Combined Vest + Sandstorm gives Tyranitar 531 Sp. Defense]. Without specs, Gengar has zilch chance at a OHKO, and without Stealth Rock a measly 20% OHKO chance with specs. The reasoning for Fire Punch is actually targetted specifically at Steel types which I can't poison - Especially the likes of Scizor which I'd otherwise have a rather huge weakness to, what with Aegislash being set-up bait for it once the set is discovered.

Heliolisk - I love this little guy and he is a perfect Sp. attacker for your team, few can boast protection from Sandstorm without adding to your rock/ground/steel typings. Standard set, tested and true.
This is actually my first time using Helio, and I must add it to my favorite pokemon for sure - it's been an incredible balance of coverage with power, and speed with reasonable bulk. It also happens to resist both of Aegislash' STABs giving me a suitable check for opposing ones.

Liepard - Lum berry may be a consideration for the item particularly if Liepard is used as a lead. And with that change I would swap Sub for taunt to prevent hazard set ups. Actually I would greatly consider running taunt either way since you lack a spinner/defog
I've not faced a single set-up lead since beginning battle spot - and I myself don't see a need for a hazard lead in 3v3 battles unless crippling one of the pokemon 4x weak to rock is a must.
This combined with personal preference for gaining a sub on predicted status/boost as opposed to preventing it.. I think I'll stick with Sub/Sitrus. It lets me stall five turns worth of Toxic Damage supporting both Gliscor and Aegislash.