• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Advertisement Filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So today I came onto Charms and the first thing I see is a dating website's ad, complete with several women revealing a little too much. Whenever I go to a different page there's always a chance that the ad for the arab dating site will pop up.
There's a lot of people here who shouldn't be looking at this stuff, especially the young people. I myself know that I could go without seeing pictures of women on a site full of 12 year olds. Is there any way we can get rid of these ads?
Thanks?

~2K

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
The ads we use are Google Adsense ads, and we don't have any direct control over the ads it serves, sadly. However, the ads are based on your browsing history and are personalised to your browsing habits, so you'll probably have been somewhere that made Google think you want to see dating ads.

if you see an inappropriate ad, you can click the cross in the top-right of it and report it to Google.

I...what? I actually havent been anywhere that would tell google that I want to date, and I've heard a lot of other people here have seen the same things. But thanks for letting me know how to close them :)

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
You know, @Andrewski2000 , I actually think I saw what you've described too and I meant to mention it and then completely forgot xD There was certainly an ad that I thought was a bit... inappropriate. I certainly can't think of anything I'd have looked at that would make Google think it's what I want to see, haha, but I know that's how those ads are designed to work.... hmmmmmm.

*Why can't it show me 'here are Gerbils to adopt' pages like I actually would like to see* :V

Haha, its alright. Teapots method works of pressing the X and then reporting it. Im not seeing the ads anymore.

"
I certainly can't think of anything I'd have looked at that would make Google think it's what I want to see, haha, but I know that's how those ads are designed to work.... hmmmmmm.
I guess Charms has been a dating site this whole time? :p

Last edited by a moderator:

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
You know, @Andrewski2000 , I actually think I saw what you've described too and I meant to mention it and then completely forgot xD There was certainly an ad that I thought was a bit... inappropriate. I certainly can't think of anything I'd have looked at that would make Google think it's what I want to see, haha, but I know that's how those ads are designed to work.... hmmmmmm.

*Why can't it show me 'here are Gerbils to adopt' pages like I actually would like to see* :V

Most of the time, Adsense will generate an ad based on a combination of your browsing history and the specific content of the page the ad is on. This means that the majority of the time the ads you see will either be specifically relevant to you and what you've been searching for lately or relevant to the content of the page/site in general and they'll be both primarily more useful and context-appropriate.

Sometimes, however, the system won't have anything it feels is especially relevant and will just pull from a pool of wider ads. The Adsense terms and conditions mean that these ads should never actually feature inappropriate content, so if you ever come across any ad that does, you should report it as Teapot mentions above.

I'm going to close this thread now because there's nothing further to add. In short: the ads we have on this site are designed to be specific to your own browsing history and/or the site's content and if there's ever anything that fills the gap that isn't appropriate, you can report the ad and Google will take care of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.