• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Impossible/No Thanks Active Chat?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The regular chat isn't active. You should make a chat that always has to chat, otherwise you will be banned.

This might not be accepted, but it wasn't that worthless :) ..

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
That's... kind of pointless? Everyone has lives, many of us usually have multiple tabs and windows open so we're not constantly watching the chatroom either (some of us might even be on our phones, or elsewhere in the house. Because it's silly to leave the chatroom when you have to use the restroom and log back in less than a minute later). And sometimes, even if there is a topic going on I might find that I know too little about the subject to be able to actively participate in the conversation. Or I know that if I say something I'll end up offending someone, or I'm personally offended so I don't want to speak, and etc.

That's like saying "if you don't talk at the dinner table you're kicked out of the house" or "if you don't participate in school you're expelled". And both are very extreme ways to deal with trying to get people to talk.

In addition to what Shiny said, some of us old regulars remember a time when chat was nothing but active; you'd be lucky to keep up with the current conversation with how much everyone was talking. By the time you'd typed up a reply we'd already switched subjects or gone so far on ahead that whatever you said was just lost or seemingly random. I've spent some time in chatrooms where there's just constant and constant talking - and it gets old fast.

Also, there's been countless cases of some newer people coming into the chatroom, only to catch us within a small window(maybe like, three minutes?) of time where no one was saying anything, only to leave just as quickly and decide that chat was dead when all that had really happened is most of us just looked away for a minute or two.

Even irl conversations with a large group of people aren't going to be filled with actual conversing the entire time. Could the chat be a little more active? Yeah, it probably couldn't hurt. But talking all the time is just extreme and totally ignores the fact that most people have lives or are doing other things that might require more immediate attention. Or that we live on the internet and get distracted often. Mostly by cats.

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Sho and Shiny said it best. Chat, like any organic active conversation - in real life or otherwise - has its active moments and its lulls - especially when most of us are either multitasking or having lives not dedicated to entertaining random bored twelves. Quality over quantity is one of the guiding principles of 'Charms as a community (or at least, we strive to keep it that way), and continuous streams of blather that never stop (or, in other words, spam) as people don't stop talking to the point of ignoring each other completely? Yeah, no. Not on our watch.

And even if we were inclined to entertain this ridiculous notion, it would require someone to actually moderate chat continuously to make sure people are talking - which is not practical or possible due to staff members in PARTICULAR having lives not dedicated to entertaining random bored twelves.

On an encouraging note, there are plenty of other Pokemon related communities whose chat rooms look exactly like that - you're welcome to go there if you want to burn out whatever remains of your neurons.

Status
Not open for further replies.