• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

accents

Prof. Cinders

Mathemagician
Staff member
Administrator
Yup. All Americans sound the same to me, too. ^^" And Canadians, for that matter. All the same. > *hides from anyone who might want to hurt me for that comment*

Also, on the subject of accents, can Americans tell the difference between a Mancunian accent (people from Manchester) and a London accent?

I haven't even heard of a Manchester accent.....so I guess I wouldn't be able to tell the difference. :p

Anyway, British accents always make me laugh, and I don't know why....not that I think they're funny...just the accent is so cool...

It's funny. When I was younger and wasn't as exposed to the English accent, all of the British sounded the same to me. Now I have more exposure to the English accent, but not enough to tell real regional differences. If you listen to enough Americans, all non-Americans, you can distinctly hear the regional differences in our speech. I'm from the south and a lot of northeners see us as stupid because our accent. Don't judge me too harshly but I use a lot of ain'ts, y'all, made up words, and other incorrect grammar when I'm speaking casually. I can correct my grammar when the need arises, though (like here). I'm not stupid. It's just the way I learned to speak.

And I've never heard of a Manchester accent either. :(

Yup. All Americans sound the same to me, too. ^^" And Canadians, for that matter. All the same. > *hides from anyone who might want to hurt me for that comment*

Also, on the subject of accents, can Americans tell the difference between a Mancunian accent (people from Manchester) and a London accent?

heh heh.... this is so weird! i didn't even know that there WAS a difference, could you tell a boston accent from a california accent? or montreal from quebec?

Building on what Carmen said, I'm sure that everyone would be able to notice a difference in the way people from the north of England and the people of the south speak, but the smaller differences between the regions within the north or the south are smaller and harder to notice. For example, take the Queen and a Scottish Highlander (just to go for extremes). They both speak English but there is definitely a difference with their accents.

To answer the original question, Americans sound like they have accents to English people and the stronger accents, when you're not accustomed to hearing them, can be quite difficult to understand. When we lived in Scotland, my mum used to dread picking up the phone because she wouldn't be able to understand the person on the other end of the phone because everyone had really strong accents. Gradually, though, you get used to them and its a lot easier to understand.

Me and Cinders live at most 50 miles apart, but we sound completely different, in fact all the people at her prom that I spoke to noticed that I had a different accent to the rest of them and asked where I was from.
Then again, Medway is pretty much a microcosm, its known for the "Chathamese" accent, basically it means never pronounce "t" in the middle of words and be very loud... I don't speak chathamese but i still hold certain accenty things from my area.

wow, this is all new to me. to the english people: do you have difficulty understanding americans?what letters do americans pronounce differently?

I can usually tell differences between accents if the two are speaking to me at the same time, however recognising it as a London or a Manchester accent is a different story the only accents I can honestly say I can distinctly recognise from the UK are Liverpuddlian, Brighton and Cockney, other than that, I'm pretty much lost

Everyone has an accent to someone. I've spent time in the Southern States and can sometimes hardly understand a word spoken to me (makes it difficult to order your lunch, let me tell you). I'm rather used to most English accents, but not so much the Scottish. Then there's the world-famous "Newfie" accent. ;)

I'm fluent in both English and French, and let me tell you, Quebec and France are WORLDS apart. I could take you on a tour around Quebec but barely make it around the city in Paris.

Prof. Cinders

Mathemagician
Staff member
Administrator
Accents confuse me in general. *grins* Y'see, what RLRL said, about most people noticing a dfferent accent? I haven't. And didn't realise until I read that. ^^" I couldn't hear the difference between Nem's accent and an Essex accent, either... Might have something to do with too many holidays all over the place... Meh. I'm just odd. :p

Nemesis

Former Administrator
Well Rach, I'm not THAT far away from you, our accents are probably quite similiar. Alex however, has a REALLY strong irish accent, but refuses to admit in.

When I was in San Fransisco, I could understand most of the people, but didn't notice any difference in accents. (Even the couple of girls from LA I ended up spending alot of time with)

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
I have a weird accent. It's not really a Belfast accent, it's not really a general Northern Irish accent and it's not even a Scottish accent from the other half of my family. It's somewhat of a mish-mash of the lot.

I can also actually speak English, you'd be surprised how much of the Northern Irish dialect is made up of neologisms and Irish and English words mixed together.

For whatever reason I have always loved the Irish accent. My cousin and I tell people that we have Irish in us and I have no idea how true it is. I WILL visit Ireland or Northern Ireland someday. The Irish accent is my favorite accent of the English speaking world followed closely be the southern U.S. accent.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Northern Irish is NOT Irish. You stand a Northern Irish person next to an Irish person and it's pretty damn clear. I'd rather have an Irish accent, they're less harsh sounding than a Northern Irish one.

The problem that most people have is that they forget that Northern Ireland even exists. :p

:-[ I'm very, very embarassed now...whoops

Still though. I loved to visit both Ireland and Northen Ireland and I am well aware that it exists and why it exists. ;D

I have friend from New Orleans and when she first came to Georgia I couldn't understand her at times. I firmly believe it was New Orleanese she was speaking.

Actually the Irish accent is the most pure accents in the world. For example, if you get a person with an Irish accent (dunno which kind, sorry) to read Chaucer or Shakespeare, its easier to understand. That's according to my Irish English teacher anyway. :)

I find it a bit difficult to understand Irish people. I had to concentrate really hard to understand "Rough Diamond" (TV series about racing and horses set in Southern Ireland). However, I have got used to my English Teacher's accent, but its not that strong, so its not particularly difficult. I guess that if you're around an accent for long enough you get used to it.

What I do find annoying is when people ask me where I come from. I have a "clear voice" (so i'm told) with no particular accent. Someone asked me if I came from Australia once. :-\

*laughs* Yeah, I have people thinking I'm from Tennesee or Arkansas a lot, even though I'm from California because apparently I picked up a souther accent at some point...

I hide my chathamese to the extent that ive been accused of being from america, australia, new zealand and strangely enough mexico... Work that one out!!! lol

I have a good ear for accents I believe. In America there a couple differnt accents...Southern, Northern (Instead of saying like GI Joe it'd be more like GI Joh with a hard H), Boston, New York, California, and Ghetto.

AHAHAHA

I have a good ear for accents I believe. In America there a couple differnt accents...Southern, Northern (Instead of saying like GI Joe it'd be more like GI Joh with a hard H), Boston, New York, California, and Ghetto.

AHAHAHA
you forgot midwestern, valley-guy/surfer, chicago and Jersey

Anyway, British accents always make me laugh, and I don't know why....not that I think they're funny...just the accent is so cool...

Their accent is cool! I also like the French accents too.
If you think Americans sound all the same it probably means you may be have only heard Americans from one part of the country.
For example Americans from the south part have a different accent then the north people. South have like a "twang" accent (not all people but some.) And Northern USA people usually talk a little faster and don't have a "twang."
So I'm basicly saying what Ultracow has to say except a little different.
That is my opinion.

Prof. Cinders

Mathemagician
Staff member
Administrator
I've been to at least 7 states in the US, some in the east, some in the west. And I've been all the way up to Canada at one point... ^^" Point is, I just hear blatent accents, so "American", "Irish" (Still can't tell the difference between NI and Ireland...) etc stand out more than "Southern", "Northern" etc. So, uh, never ask me where someone comes from by their accent. (I also have trouble telling the difference between Welsh and Irish... No idea why, because I know they're completely different >

I live with people who have an accent. I hate their speech, culure, and living. I hate them. I have trained myself to act as different from them as possible, despite growing up with them.