• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

DPPt/HGSS Absol set

Ruko

Bearded Trout Warrior
Absol @ Kings Rock/Scope Lens/Life Orb
Adamant Nature
Super Luck Ability
  Sucker Punch
  Psycho Cut
  Swords Dance / Pursuit
  Magic Coat / Snatch /Taunt

Sucker Punch is just a must for Absol, STAB, and Priority with Absol's power is pretty well done
Psycho Cut for compound high-critical and a bit of extra coverage should you somehow have a speed advantage
Swords Dance to catch them if they try to up their own stats, or Pursuit to catch them on a switch and still do damage if I'm wrong and manage to live.
Magic Coat / Taunt to really mess up a pokemon that trys to status me, confusion especially. And after I've taunted, Pursuit or Sucker Punch are bound to work

Absol has the same base attack as a Garchomp, and if I can successfully predict what will happen the first turn absol is out, I'll have a great chance to setup for Swords Dance. With a King's rock, Sucker Punch will have a compound chance at annoyance, 12% critical, 10% Flinch[I think], Scope Lens boosts it to 20% critical, or a 30% power boost at the cost of some life. A Salac berry could even potentially work with some luck.

I'm having a hard time deciding which combination of attacks and item to use, any suggestions would be nice if I overlooked some attack it can learn. I will say that I'm not teaching it Stone Edge right now, however. High Critical and Power aren't worth the loss of accuracy on something like this [to me].

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
I can't say whether this is the most effective combination, but it certainly seems the most fun to me:

Absol @ King's Rock/Scope Lens
Adamant
Super Luck

- Sucker Punch
- Psycho Cut
- Pursuit
- Snatch

Well, here it is...the biggest guessing game of all time - probably a hard set to use, but if you can predict your opponent well they'll have problems dealing with this. Snatch is brilliant for playing mind games with your opponent - once you start stealing their Swords Dances and healing moves they'll become very wary about using them, and if you manage to steal a Dragon Dance you'll be in the money. I prefer Scope Lens on this thing since Sucker Punch and Pursuit will inflict terrible damage if they crit at the right time, especially if you've Snatched a stat-boost beforehand.

Or, something a little more conventional (and easier to use):

Absol @ Salac Berry/Scope Lens
Adamant/Jolly
Super Luck

- Sucker Punch
- Psycho Cut
- Swords Dance
- Taunt

A simpler sweeping set here (ripped off of Taunt Gyarados a bit). Come in against a defensive Pokemon and Taunt them if you predict a non-attack move - they will likely switch after that, giving a free opportunity at Swords Dance. Sucker Punch and Psycho Cut is the best coverage Absol is likely to get (hits everything except Steel) - Steel-types will always wall you unless you teach Absol Flamethrower/Fire Blast, and that won't do much at all off Base 75 Sp.Atk. Salac Berry is a bit of a crapshoot since it won't always work, but Absol certainly won't mind the Speed boost if a Fighting-type comes in. Go for Scope Lens if you want something more reliable.

Ruko

Bearded Trout Warrior
what I want out of it is to inflict a state of paranoia in my opponent, to overcome my lack of speed.
I'd probably go with the second Absol at first, and see how well taunt does me.

If I can manage a Swords Dance and a Salac Berry, Absol will be pretty well near unstoppable unless they have a Priority attack and are faster, or have a steel that the didn't send out in the first place.

[edit]
I just noticed it was also walled by other Dark types, and can't even touch faster dark types with Priority attacks.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Forgot about the Darks...Stone Edge is probably the best choice in place of Psycho Cut, although Return and Aerial Ace are also available instead. Either way, Steel-types will always wall you no matter what.

Ruko

Bearded Trout Warrior
I'd use Night Slash for another STAB before Stone Edge, because Stone edge means I'm still walled by fighting, and I can't stand the accuracy of it.

I'll probably use Aerial Ace, if I find myself being walled by a lot of dark types, but I'll stick with Psycho Cut for now.

If you find you have too much trouble with coverage id say loose the fourth move and place X-Scissor or Rock Smash there.

As a quick point, Super Luck doubles the ratio of Critical Hits. Best explained in stages.

Stage 1: 6.25% (Every Attack besides the ones that have a natural Critical hit Ratio) (+1)
Stage 2: 12.5% (All attacks that have a Critical Hit Bonus or if the Pokemon used a Lansat Berry, User used Focus Energy or is holding Scope Lens/Razor Claw/Lucky Punch/Stick)(+2)
Stage 3: 25% (Combination of Stage 1 and 2)(+3)
Stage 4: 33.3% (Combination of Stage 1 and 2)(+4)
Stage 5: 50%: (Combination of Stage 1 and 2)(+5)

Now Super Luck doubles the stage you're at. If you're at 1, you're really at 2, if you're at 4, you're at 5.

So Psycho Cut with Super Luck and the Scope Lens would have a 50% chance of landing a Critical Hit. Psycho Cut is Stage 2(+2), Scope Lens is Stage 1(+1), Super Luck Doubles the stage, the bonus are stacked). Without an attack that doesn't have a Critical Hit bonus, like Sucker Punch with the Scope Lens and Super Luck would be a Stage 4 Critical Hit Ratio at 33.3%.

So, get Agility support and hope that in every two attacks, one is a Critical Hit with either Stone Edge (Highly Doubt this one you'll be using), Psycho Cut, Slash (Highly Doubt you'll be using this one as well), or Night Slash.

I was thinking about building an Absol/Dark team awhile back and having gotten around to actually building on but the concepts I had for Absol in particular were using it's Attack Power and Critical Hit ratio combo.

Absol @ Salac Berry
Adamant Nature
Super Luck Ability
Sucker Punch
X-Scissor
Swords Dance
Taunt

Salac Berry to make up for the speed. One of those should make Absol faster than most pokes.
Super Luck for the Critial Hit boost with X-Scissor (Stage 4 Critical Hit) to fend off Psychic or Dark types
Sword Dance to boost Absol attack for either attacking moves
Taunt to ensure a hit from Sucker Punch
Sucker Punch for the STAB

or you can straightly focus on Critical Hit probablity and use this build. It ditches speed for Critical Hit though.

Absol @ King's Rock/Scope Lens
Adamant Nature
Super Luck Ability
Night Slash
X-Scissor
Sword Dance
Snatch

Night Slash for STAB and Stage 5 Critical Hit
X-Scissor to fend off Dark types with Stage 5 Critical Hit
Sword Dance for an Attack boost
Snatch for a hopeful stat boost from the foe.